News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 tail light body.

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, December 28, 2010, 02:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Who was looking for this some time ago? It fits LaSalles & all Cadillacs.
Thanks,Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bruce Berghoff - CLC 1476

Hey Bob... You're absolutely correct.  The 1937/'38 LaSalle tail light body and the 1937/'38 Cadillac tail light body , when top and bottom castings are assembled become interchangable...HOWEVER, let's not mislead either the Cadillac or LaSalle owner who might be looking for only a top or bottom casting ! The Cadillac top and bottom castings, by themselves are slightly different from the LaSalle castings , and ARE NOT INTERCHANGIBLE ! With some clever grinding and drilling a Cadillac top can be made to fit a LaSalle bottom, but no way will a LaSalle top fit a Cadillac bottom ( without some very fancy pot metal fabrication ) . " Let the swap meet , and eBay  buyer beware !" bb

Classic

Thanks Bruce.  I never knew that.  I have several uppers and lowers around here someplace.  Thought they were all the same.  How do I tell the difference between Cadillac and LaSalle pieces?
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce,
Thanks for you input,I guess? I looked in the 1942 MPB & determined that the base I have, casting#/part # 920951 fits all 1937 cars both LaSalle & Cadillac LH or RH. Yes, I did see the note about drilling the casting for the side ornaments for use on Cadillacs. So... I'm confused by your post that in one case I'm right & the next I should warn the bidders???
When I advertise it, I'll state only what the MPB says.
Bob

markl

Bob,
I just pulled out two taillight assemblies that I purchased for my 37 LaSalle.  I actually have good castings and had purchased them for the lenses, which are correct for the 37 LaSalle and noticeably different than the Cadillac of the same year.  The part number on the bottom of the casting (lower section) is 922453 for the left and 922454 for the right.  The underlying manufacturer is Guide, made in USA.  Is it possible that I have something other than the 1937 taillight castings?  If you have your Master Parts Book out, I'd appreciate it if you can check that number against other years in the late 30's

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Bruce Berghoff-CLC 1476

Bob... I stand corrected ! Again you are correct . Let me start over again.  It is the 1937 and 1938 body and top cover castings that are not interchangable. According to the MPL ( as you stated)  the 1937 Left & Right body castings for Series 50,60,65,70,75 & 85 ( PN 920951) are all the same. The 1937 top covers are Left (PN920949) and Right (PN920950) .
    The 1938 Left body casting for Series 50, 60 & 65 CC (PN922485), and Right body casting for Series 50,60 & 65 CC (PN922486) match up with top cover Left (PN922455), and Right top cover (PN922456).
    NOW .... If you're not totally confused: When the 1937 taillight topcovers are assembled to the 1937 taillight body casting, and the 1938 top covers are assembled to the 1938 body castings ; The completed 1937 assemblies look almost identical to the 1938, however the parts are not interchangable !   WOW...That was tough !
(Call me if you're still confused (231) 889-3343 ) bb

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Reply to Bruce,
I'm not confused anymore. Thanks.
Reply to Mark L.,
I looked in the MPB & those numbers don't show. In same cases the casting #'s are not the part #'s. Never could figure out why. The fact they are LH & RH makes them 1938. I hope Bruce agrees. LOL
His post covers it.
HTH, Bob