News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

RE: Cadillac/GM historic dept

Started by Peter Jordan, October 05, 2009, 01:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Jordan

Can anyone help?

I have a couple of old Caddy's  ('54 Series 62, 2 x '70 Fleetwoods, 2 x  70s Eldorado's) and would like to gather up some previous history, copy of dealer window sticker, previous owner information etc. Does GM still have a historic department where for a few bucks you can obtain some information?

Any numbers or links will be gratefully received.

Thanks......

jeff1956

yes...gm media archives...i dont have the contact info right now but google should pull up something.  its outsourced to allied vaughn.  they have several packages available...have most if not all youre looking for.  you can submit the request online and someone will contact you for payment.  i had all my stuff within a week of the order but can get delayed depending on what number you are in queue.

jeff

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

If you go to the home page for tihs website, you will find a sidebar.  One of the options is entitled "Authenticate your car".  By clickinig on that option you will find the following information.  I hope this response answers your question.

Authenticate Your 1903 - 1970 Cadillac or LaSalle
a service of the GM Heritage Center

The GM Heritage Center is an affiliate of the General Motors Corporation. The GM Heritage Center and Allied Vaughn are not affiliated in any way with the Cadillac & LaSalle Club. Allied Vaughn is a tier one supplier to General Motors.

A copy of the factory record sheet showing the as-built configuration for 1903 - 1970 Cadillacs and 1927 - 1940 LaSalles is available for $US 50 from the General Motors Heritage Center. The information on the record sheet includes:

original destination (1954 and earlier)
paint color code
trim code
accessories
component serial numbers
We're sorry, 1968 record sheets are NOT available.

In addition, the GM Heritage Center has expanded the range of documentation offered for 1903 - 1970 models to include copies of Salesman's Data Books, Operation Manuals, Optional Specifications, etc., as available.

PLEASE NOTE: Cadillac Motor Car Division was the vehicle wholesaler and did NOT have records of the original retail purchasers -- only the dealership maintained retail sales records. SOME of the 1954 and earlier special order record sheets list the name of the person who ordered the car. In general, it is NOT possible for the GM Heritage Center to determine the name of the original owner of your vehicle.

Please remember, as described above, 1968 record sheets are NOT available. Original owner records are generally NOT available.

To order a copy of the factory record sheet of your vehicle:

Provide the vehicle data -- year, style #, body # and serial/VIN # (e.g. 1941, style 6219D, Body 1286, serial 8342240). All Cadillacs and LaSalles are recorded by the original engine serial number; without that number, the GM Heritage Center cannot process your order and has no choice but to return your request.

For convenience, an order form is available by clicking here.
Include a check or money order (PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH) in US funds for $50 payable to Allied Vaughn as The GM Cadillac Collection service is now managed by Allied Vaughn. You may also call 734-462-5543 x.163 or email vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com and pay by credit card (Visa, M/C, Amex).
Mail to:

Allied Vaughn
Attn: GM Vehicle Invoice & Cadillac Collection
11923 Brookfield
Livonia, MI. 48150
USA
The GM Heritage Center is an affiliate of the General Motors Corporation. The GM Heritage Center and Allied Vaughn are not affiliated in any way with the Cadillac & LaSalle Club. Allied Vaughn is a tier one supplier to General Motors.

Otto Skorzeny

You won't get a window sticker, just the "cars built" sheet as Bill said which will have some of the data you might have found on a window sticker.  The Munrony sticker didn't become manditory until 1958, however.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Rich S

If you're interested, a reproduction window sticker may be available, once you have the data from GM. You will have to list the options, dealer code, order number, etc. for this person to make it, and the cost is quite reasonable. His name is Jack George, a.k.a. "Pontiac Jack," and he did a great job making a reproduction window sticker for my 1971 Eldorado Convertible. Here is his contact information:

'Pontiac' Jack, CPN
JJLS Enterprises
pontiacjack@hotmail.com

Once he had the window sticker format done, he e-mailed a proof to me, and then he made the changes I wanted, and the final item makes a very nice attraction at Car Shows!  :)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Steve W

Why not 1968 cars??? What happened to the records...and why only 1968???? Seems kinda weird....(and just MY luck!)
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

jaxops

Peter,

It isn't too difficult to do.  You already know all of the options on the cars.  Find out from the VIN where they were built and when.  You should be able to find out what they went for originally, or close enough.  This site is good for researching those things. 

I made up a window sticker for my 56 Caddy and my 70 Electra.  The codes for the options are probably either GM specific or by GM Division, so you might have to make them up in the interim, and add them in as you discover the right numbers later.  My 56 one is pretty much a "made up" one that I devised since they may or may not have actually put a sticker on a limousine (doubtful).  The 70 Electra though is a copy of the original sticker that I found under the back seat.  I would be happy to share my template with you, just email me. 

People tend to be fascinated at the cost of these cars and the options listed. The window sticker/signs always brings people over to read them.   I remind people that a $7,000.00 limousine cost more than a house back then!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

jeff1956

i believe the 68 records were destroyed in a plant fire in 68 before transferring them to the archives...this is why only 68 is affected.

jeff

Jim Thompson

I ordered the packet for mine and was very happy with what I received. Came with 2 copies of the dealer invoice too.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Steve W

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866