News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 De Ville Convertible

Started by 73 DropTop, February 13, 2018, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Johnny Cash did it first.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

To the OP, make the '73 Deville convertible, report to us the cost and after a few years of operation, report back on the fit and finish.

I suppose it's a challenge, but keeping an old car running and making and old car dependable is enough of a challenge for me.

Just sayin'.

and the '69 grille...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eldorado James

I've sold a couple of sets of the 1971-73 rockers for use on 1969-70's, and the buyers really like it.  To me, that lower chrome "is Cadillac".....Chevys and Pontiacs shouldn't have it, lol.  I once added the full lower set to my 1960 Series 62 convertible years ago, it made a huge difference.  I can't seem to like the Cadillacs that don't have that trim as much (1975-76 Calais look naked without it!).  The pics attached are a single rocker added to a 1969......I have yet to get pics back from the 1970 guy that I sold the set to recently - he wanted the double rocker look. 
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Okay, I will stay out of this.

But before I leave, so to speak, anything is possible with steel and tin, but once Plastic becomes more involved, things start to really get hard.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Sorry,

I like the clean look better.  I know the hood ornament doesn't belong but it was already there when I bought the car.  Can't take it off and fill the hole because this is an original paint car.

It had pinstripes, I buffed them off.  It also had bumper guards, I took them off.  Cadillac got it right in 1970.  Nothing else is needed in my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

73 DropTop

Chas

I showed this thread to a couple of hillbillies that live near me. Their idea of fun is dropping 1950’s pickup truck bodies onto late model 4 wheel drive frames. They said if you keep them in Sawzall blades and Budweiser, they could roll a ‘73 convertible out of their horse barn in a couple of weeks.....LOL!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Eldorado James

@ Brian --  Very nice and Clean 1970!  It was the anti-wreath year for Cadillac...using those Jumbo crests on the front and rear.  I agree that the "wreathed" Eldorado hood ornament seems slightly out of place, too bad they drilled that on.  You could put the correct matching Eldo hood-center molding at the back end that extends to the windshield....but I don't think you are a fan of adding stainless, LOL.  You could use a d'Elegance hood ornament in that base (no wreaths on it).....

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

76eldo

I bought a very nice 70 Eldo hood ornament. It's like a small fin and not too obtrusive. But unexpectedly the holes are different and I'm not drilling more holes in the hood.

When you are driving the car it's not terrible to have that wreath and crest pointing the way.

I'm just leaving it alone.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 76eldo on February 18, 2018, 09:12:35 PM
I bought a very nice 70 Eldo hood ornament. It's like a small fin and not too obtrusive. But unexpectedly the holes are different and I'm not drilling more holes in the hood.

When you are driving the car it's not terrible to have that wreath and crest pointing the way.

I'm just leaving it alone.

One of the first things I did when I got my 1968 was to put a stand up hood ornament on it and a RH mirror.  Place it on the solid or dashed line and you are in the lane!  8)

The car just isn't complete without them.

When I first got my 1970 Fleetwood Brougham WAY back, it had the RH mirror as did my brother's 1970  Fleetwood 75 Sedan. Mine also had a full length hood trim with a stand up on it. I thought they All came with these.  ??? 

One time in the winter I got a little too enthusiastic brushing off snow and I bent the hood top trim strip. Fortunately the "recycling yards" had plenty of ElDos to get a replacement.

Later, after getting the 1968 I found out that the RH mirror was a dealer option (except for the Series 75s) prior to 1971 and the full length trim with the stand-up was "borrowed" from 1971 & later ElDorados. The first owner apparently could get the dealer to make these "upgrades" for him. It made my Fleetwood look balanced and dignified.

It doesn't matter.  I found the RH mirror ( pricey!!!) and got a stand alone hood ornament and they have been on the car ever since. But that's about the only trim updates I ever did on the car. It looks pretty good elsewhere as it is.

Maybe in the future the Fleetwood lower rocker trim might be a cool addition - If I can find some. I'd have to get the skirt pieces as well.

Damn the authenticity - all cylinders ahead!   :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

73 DropTop

Its not a new idea. A sawzall, a blowtorch and a mig welder and a little body filler. Guys in Southern California have been hacking hardtop Impalas into Convertibles since the 60’s and on top of that have been hopping and slamming them, HARD! Most of those Guys & Gals are not rich or sometimes not even middle class, and still get it done. I have no intention of hoppin or lowride my car, just cruise down the beach. Oh one more thing look up “ 1973 Coupe Deville Lowrider” click on the white 73. I guess we’re running out of old Impalas.

Eldorado James

Damn, serious swag on that red one!   :o :o :o :o :o  The aggressive grills of the 1971-72's really makes a statement.  I'd care less if there is a convertible top mechanism in that beastie.........Great pics.......I guess I am a SoCal person stuck in the Midwest.   ;D ;D
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

73 DropTop

That car is in Chicago/Cicero. Look up “1971 Coupe Deville Convertible “ on YT. He has alot of videos.

76eldo

We all know about making converts out of coupes.
Lots of bogus 59 Eldos out there.

What we are trying to tell you is that in order to build a fully functional 1973 DeVille convertible that resembles what the factory would have done takes a high level of skill.

I say go for it if you have enough sawzall blades and beer and make sure to send pics as you go.

Good luck
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eldorado James

Geez, just a few miles away....  :-o
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

73 DropTop

Eldorado James

Wrong color but looks good as a 4 door ragtop.....
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here is a "Convertible" I photographed in a Gas Station near Merritt or Kamloops in 2002 whilst touring USA and Canada in 2002, and the fella said when I queried the fact that I thought they didn't make convertibles after 1976, "well, it as a Coupe this morning, until it met with the Sawzall".

Turns out they were heading off to a Country and Western festival.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The car looked too good to have to suffer, but at least they covered over the cut portions with vinyl and carpet.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eldorado James

LOL....most people would never even realize that it's a 77 or 78 chop top.  So easy to tell this via the ugly header panel.  If I ever do a chop top, I'd pull the windshield, weld on a 1971-76 Eldorado upper top frame and reinstall the glass.....then put the correct convertible hardware, so that it doesn't look so damn odd.
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

Tonyv_73

Somebody mentioned, the 73 eldorado RWD conversion, that guy is a friend of mine, saw the car in person, it’s amazing what you can do with a fleetwood frame and eldorado body.... he said it made too much sense, motor fit munch nicer, as well as the placement of the wheels in the wheel wells.

Just some thought...
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition