News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Nice 1993 Allante $4800

Started by BJM, February 19, 2018, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Nice looking car!

I've seen a bunch of Allantes lately in the $2k to $3k range. Such a sharp car … that I wouldn't take even if one was offered to me for $0.

With a '93, you know the engine is going to let go at any moment. On the pre-93s, here comes an $8000 brake job in the not-too-distant future.

They make me sad!

BJM

I am looking for a 2nd Cadillac to drive while the 68 Eldorado gets restored. In my searches, which go beyond Cadillac, I have found few Allantes lately in my "cheapo" price range.  I am not dropping $7500 to $12,000 on a 105,000 mile Allante from a CL ad.  I would from a CLC member that I could speak to, and understand how they arrived at that price, which would usually include "do whatever it takes" maintenance and repairs.   (Still waiting on my paper Self Starters) 

There are a lot of halo cars out there that someone can buy. I own 2 Buick Reattas. I also look for the Chrysler Crossfires, which I love the styling, 2 seater layout like the Reatta and Allante and the Mercedes underpinnings.  With all 3 of these, and more - a person has to read the tea leaves to tell if this is a 3rd, 4th, 5th owner abused car, or whether it might be a 2500 mile a year exerciser. 

For me, this color sells this Allante and I am going to call on it.  Mileage is right in my wheelhouse and I would rather have a 92 or 93.  I have seen so many red Allantes I will almost certainly pass on one, even if it fits other checkmarks. 

At 54,000 miles, all leaks and drivetrain issues are likely resolved for awhile, and I can ask about brakes. Usually, for this price, some mechanical issue needing attention has come up, the owner has been quoted, and the wife has said no way or something similar. 

67_Eldo

Good luck!

Let us know if you snag it.

BJM

A day late and a dollar short.  This is the 3rd time this has happened recently on cars of interest.  It seems a potential buyer is to buy it tonight. If not, I am next in line.  The seller was very nice, honest and informative.

1st, did anyone know they made 4700 1993 Allantes?  they only made 1700 or so in 1992.  4700 is not rare.  Owning Buick Reattas, I can tell you Buick gave up on the Reatta for their last year 1991 and only made about 1200. 

This is a 2 owner Allante.  The owner now is a friend of the seller, whose wife just passed away.  The car was purchased in 1996 by the present owner, and driven regularly until 1999, where it became a garage car rarely driven.  It has 54,000 and change mileage.

The seller is a mechanic friend of the owner. He stated the tires have flat spots from sitting despite balancing and rotation, the spark plug wires need changed, the blower motor is bad and needs replaced and the "pull down" motor for the top needs attention. 

It has already received a new $500 fuel pump due to bad gas, a transmission flush and oil changes. 

e.mason

Quote from: 67_Eldo on February 19, 2018, 09:47:55 PM
Nice looking car!

I've seen a bunch of Allantes lately in the $2k to $3k range. Such a sharp car … that I wouldn't take even if one was offered to me for $0.

With a '93, you know the engine is going to let go at any moment. On the pre-93s, here comes an $8000 brake job in the not-too-distant future.

They make me sad!

Just curious and for informational purposes only.  Why so much for a Brake Job?  What does it all involve?
Eric Mason

Big Apple Caddy

Although not the rarest Allante color, Montana Blue was a pretty rare color with only around 149 sold and only for 1993.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Isn't the '92 the one with the expensive brakes? Just so you know. I was selling Cadillacs in 1993 and Montana Blue was very hard to get rid of. I think we only bought one and it was a lot queen SDV.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

67_Eldo

Quote from: e.mason on February 20, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
Just curious and for informational purposes only.  Why so much for a Brake Job?  What does it all involve?
A complete rundown of the 1987-1992 Allante braking system is online here: http://allantesource.com/abs-information.html .

On this page -- https://www.vehiclehistory.com/cadillac/allante/1992 -- take a look at the mentions of "ABS" and "Bosch" to get a small taste of what folks have been saying about (and paying for) the Allante.

When I was looking for a Cadillac a few years ago, I gave the Allante (and the XLR) very close looks. It was primarily the braking system on the Allante and the crazy number of delicate sensors on the XLR's top and trunk that prompted me to think "Why not buy a simple, easy-to-fix, first-gen Eldorado?" Ha!

BJM

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on February 20, 2018, 02:37:54 PM
Isn't the '92 the one with the expensive brakes? Just so you know. I was selling Cadillacs in 1993 and Montana Blue was very hard to get rid of. I think we only bought one and it was a lot queen SDV.

Barry
In this case I love this color. And made that much better by the biscuit hides inside and chrome optional wheels.  TOO many red Allantes, and white.  I have a red 1988 Buick Reatta, that's enough..

e.mason

Quote from: 67_Eldo on February 20, 2018, 03:38:47 PM
A complete rundown of the 1987-1992 Allante braking system is online here: http://allantesource.com/abs-information.html .

On this page -- https://www.vehiclehistory.com/cadillac/allante/1992 -- take a look at the mentions of "ABS" and "Bosch" to get a small taste of what folks have been saying about (and paying for) the Allante.

When I was looking for a Cadillac a few years ago, I gave the Allante (and the XLR) very close looks. It was primarily the braking system on the Allante and the crazy number of delicate sensors on the XLR's top and trunk that prompted me to think "Why not buy a simple, easy-to-fix, first-gen Eldorado?" Ha!

Thanks for the info...................one of those situations where newer wasn't better.
Eric Mason

D.Yaros

As a former Allante (1992) owner, I am able to attest that they indeed are high maintenance.  The key to keeping a functioning brake system up to snuff is a complete brake fluid flush every 2 years; whether it needs it or not!

As you want this car to drive while another is being restored, I would caution you to tread lightly.  I say that based on the fact that restorations can, and are known to take forever and a day.  By the time it is completed you could, conceivably have more invested in the Allante than in the Eldo restoration?

Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

BJM

Dave
Anything is possible but the 93 Allante was a superior animal to all previous cars.  The brake system was totally redesigned. Not saying it is not subject to issues. I would have the car inspected by the local Cadillac dealer or a trusted local garage and likely would have the brake system flushed.

This is a car that has not been driven much in the past 19 years. The fuel pump has already been replaced ($500).   It needs spark plugs and wires.  All old car come with some risk.  I own an 88 and 90 Buick Reatta and have not started them since December.  They probably need fresh gas and exercise. 

Not saying I don’t disagree but my other options are 1970 to 1982ish full sizers, maybe a 79-85 Eldorado, Seville or a 1999 to 2006 Eldorado or Seville.

We are literally $200 apart - the Allante seller and I.  Cost to transport came to $1000 (993 miles door to door) He was asking $4800 and would come down to $4600.  I knew I would have to pay to transport and knew Houston was a long way from Des Moines, but guess I thought it was 750 miles or so. Wow, probably not buying anything from Houston!   Transport cost is a deal breaker more than not.  I got my 68 Eldorado 4 miles from my house. 

I was never in love with the Allante but I can not dispute they are a cool car. They are an exotic car, a special car, a convertible.  I always heard they were under powered, unreliable and parts were getting expensive.

But as is the case with the Reatta and a lot of cars destined for limited runs, the best is saved for the last. 1st year Northstar headaches aside, the Northstar was a world class response, 295 hp ditto on torque, DOHC architecure.   Plus the 1993 Allante had improvements in suspension - adopting the Seville and Eldorado rear suspension among other improvements, and a lower more aggressive front spoiler looks great. 

I like the car and am waiting for this guy to blink and drop down to $4400.  If not, I’ll keep looking.  The last gen Eldorado has always impressed, love them - but need to get less than 125,000 miles with maintenance history.   Since many are on 3rd and 4th owners who simply beat the snot out of them, it’s tough.

67_Eldo

If I was going to get an Allante, it would be a '93. The brakes are better and it is much more zippy than previous models.

But it has the first-gen Northstar engine, a unit that everyone I've chatted with does not use the term "if" but uses "when" concerning blown head gaskets and $5000+ repairs. The head-bolts are a problem that low mileage won't solve, according to those same mechanics. And as far as I can tell, there are no engine-swap options that are practical either.

If you get it, make sure the engine's operating temperature is ice cold at all times. :-)

My $0.02.

Caddyjack

Just like ANY OTHER CAR, knucklehead prior owners will cause future trouble for an Allante. Check the Carfax and maintenance history on an Allante before buying, and if the brake fluid was flushed very two years ('87-'92) or the coolant was flushed very two years ('93) with the necessary pellets, the "trouble" is virtually non existent.

The 1989-1992 and 1993 Allantes are great cars. A well maintained Allante will be more reliable and wonderful to drive than 90% of any other offerings from that era. And a LOT better looking.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

BJM

Thanks Jack.  I would tend to agree. I hope I don't regret passing on the 1993 Montana Blue car. It hits all the buttons except paying $1000 for transport to get it to Des Moines.  The maintenance it needs is no different than any car kept in slumber for nearly 20 years. 

I really like the optional wheels because many Allantes have the standard wheel set and these optional wheels set it off, as does the lower/larger front lip spoiler.  Biscuit interior is another win for me.  But, I am an "amateur" dealer and can walk away from anything. 

If I was a CLC member in the Houston area, this would be sold!  Since I have been looking, I have not found another Allante anywhere near this nice, and this guy, selling the car for his friend, has displayed the honesty missing from most CL ads. 

I got my 1st 2 paper copies of the Self Starter, and as I recall there was only one Allante in there.