News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

starter bushing

Started by mr41cadillac, May 26, 2016, 08:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

trying to replace bushing in starter 41 60 special. question is do you replace the drive bushing only ? is this  the only bushing ? I see auto zone list one bushing the drive bushing 4200 b.thanks john 

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Here is a diagram from the parts book showing the starter. It shows bushing K and I believe the end frame has a bushing in the end frame. I like you like try to do most of the work myself but when it comes to parts on the car that are best done by someone who specializes in that area, I have found you are money ahead allowing the part to be rebuilt by the shop that does that type work.   Bill

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCadillac+Starter+Bushings.TRS0&_nkw=Cadillac+Starter+Bushings&_sacat=0

mr41cadillac

thanks for the picture. trying to find a shop in savannah without success so far. thanks bill john

Bill Ingler #7799

John:  Here is the other bushing in the end plate. If you are going to get the starter rebuilt then try to find this end plate with the bushing. I find them on ebay.  Bill

Jay Friedman

If by savannah you mean Savannah, Georgia, maybe I can help.  I don't know of any starter rebuilders in Savannah, but in the Atlanta area I can recommend a firm that rebuilds starters of that era including new bushings: BP Rebuilders, 1420 Canton Rd, Marietta, GA 30066.  Phone: (770) 427-5872 

They have done several starters (and generators) for my 49 Cadillac and a Ford I own. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

mr41cadillac

thanks bill jay. ive ordered the drive bushing from autozone. the starter end plate I will try ebay. the rest of the starter is fine, except the solenoid.

Jay Friedman

I have a used end plate in good condition with a good bushing.  If interested email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

mr41cadillac

the ones on ebay don't look like they have an oiler like mine. jay does yours thanks john

Jay Friedman

John,

Mine is the same as those on ebay.  According to my parts manual, end plates are the same from 1936 to 1953 and I've never seen one with an oiler.  I suspect a previous owner installed the one on yours.  It's my understanding that when installing one of these, you spread a light film of grease in the bushing and it will stay lubricated.

Jay 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Bill Ingler #7799

Jay: I also can not remember seeing an oil cup on the starter but they must have been on early starters. Look on the starter diagram that I posted earlier and you can see an oil cup. Look at the lubrication chart below which is in my 1946  Shop Manual and it shows a cup on the starter and 2 on the generator. So someplace the oiler cup was dropped.  I have replaced the end plate on my 47 probably 15 years ago with what you see on ebay, and as you said a little bit of grease on the bushing and many, many starts later it is still cranking away. So John don`t worry about buying an end plate without an oiler.  Bill

mr41cadillac

ok i really only need the bushing but their not to expensive. the solenoid i ordered  for the starter , we think  can be modified by cutt ing wider slots on the attachment plate on the solenoid. the old solenoid has had that done to it. hopethis will solve the clicking issue. john

Jay Friedman

Bill,

Yes, I see that until 48 original end plates were made with an oil cup.  Unlike your 46 shop manual, my 49 manual does not show a lube point for the starter, so the change must have been made that year.  My Master Parts List is a 1955 edition, so I think that by then they must have decided it was no longer needed on 48 and earlier models either, so all replacement end frames from 36 to 53 were the same. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

gene harl

John,,  I worked in a starter & gen  shop in the early 50's ,, rebuilt   many starters ,, most of the time they only need the rear bushing ,, it wears and lets the arm drag on the field. on the solenoid, take off  the cap, flip over the plate, reverse studs and you have a new solenoid, (  if someone didn't beat you to it )   
   Gene..      CLC22406

mr41cadillac

picked up the bushing for the starter on the end that engages the flywheel. its shorter than the one i took out. will it make a difference ? thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: GM designed that starter with a certain size armature which in turn required a certain size bushing at each end so why are you even thinking of using the wrong bushing. Use the proper parts and your car will give you many miles of enjoyment. Use the wrong part and then that wrong part breaks causing you more problems. So ask yourself is it worth the risk?   Bill   

Bill Ingler #7799

John: The correct bushing you need for your starter is 810620 used from 1936-48 on the Cadillac starter. See the picture below for the correct dimensions for that bushing.  Bill

Jay Friedman

Now that you have the dimensions from Bill, if you can't find one for sale I believe it would be a simple matter for a machine shop to make one for not too much money. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

mr41cadillac

thanks that helps now that i have the right number . maybe the one autozone sent is for the other end? actually i extracted the old one and it looks goos , i may just use it if i cant find one. i love the 41 60 special but wow what a puzzle to locate parts, but i love the learning. thanks all john