News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lower Radiator Hose Anti Collapse Spring.

Started by P W Allen CLC# 20193, November 25, 2008, 08:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Does anybody know where I can get one of these? Mine has corroded and is unuseable. I know I can use one of those flexible ribbed type hoses that doesn't need one, but it is not correct for a 53, as they use formed hoses.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Otto Skorzeny

Believe it or not, some of those ribbed ones have a wire spring inside. I've purchased them before and just removed the spring and used it in my other hose.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

Most current production hoses do not seem to require the spring.  Something to do with the material and molding process in theory makes them stiff enough to not need them.  I have not had any issues with any of the ones I have installed without the springs. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Thanks guys for the responses. Actually, when I changed the lower hose with a new one, I couldn't use the old one so I installed it without a spring. I've been watching it with no collapse problems yet. TJ, you may have something there. Thanks again.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Glen

There is nothing magical about that spring.  I’ve made my own using a heavy gauge wire wrapping it around a piece of pipe or some such then push it into the hose.  It does not have to be beautiful; nobody is going to see it.   You just need to make sure it is strong  enough to do its job and runs the full length of the hose. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Paul,

If it is going to collapse, then it will do it at high engine speeds, where the water pump is demanding a strong flow of coolant from the radiator.

The best material to construct a spring out of is a length of thin diameter Bronze Welding wire, and coiling it as previously suggested by Glen.

Don't forget to bend the ends a bit more, so that the sharp ends cannot piece the hose from the inside.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon