News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

60 Coupe de Ville headlights

Started by I.V. Tom, August 19, 2007, 08:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I.V. Tom

While driving, the headlights, taillights, and dash lights suddenly went out.  The body fuse is good.  The rear side courrtesy lights that operate by turning the light switch both work.  Any ideas other than defective headlight switch?  Is there another source of power to the headlight switch other than the power to turn on the courtesy lights?  I am putting off taking the dash apart looking for other solutions.  Thanks again for all help.
Tom

Stampie

If it helps I have changed the switch without removing the dash per the manual.  Kind of a pain and you have to do it blind but easier than removing the dash.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Stampie

I told Tom how I did it in an email but here it is to help others that may need it.

With the drivers and passenger doors open I laid down in the floorboard with my feet out the passenger door.  That put my head right under the steering wheel.  I then snaked my left hand up under the dash and can push the spring button which is on the left side when looking as if sitting in the drivers seat.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Jan, CLC #17589

Hi,
Do you have the original headlights, or have you "new" halogenlights? If you have halogen lights you have to put a relay in to avoid overheating of the fuse in the light switch.
I had the same problem on my 66 Eldorado.
Or it could be the switch as you suggested.
regards
Jan
Jan E.

I.V. Tom

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Tom,

The "Safety Circuit" for the Headlights is via an Internal Circuit Breaker within the Headlight Switch, and the Tail Lights and Dash Lights have their own fuses.

If the Headlights over-power the Circuit Breaker, the headlights will flash off and on, which is a safety measure so that one isn't thrust into total darkness when they fail due to shorting out.   Meaning that as the wiring gets hot, the Circuit Breaker heats up, opens the contacts, then close the contacts till they heat up again, and so on till you turn the switch off.   Unlike a Fuse where one is plunged into total darkness when it blows.

So, if they are all out, I would be looking for a lack of power to those areas, like a master wire, or even the wire coming off the Starter Motor to the Dashboard.

In your case, the problem has nothing to do with the Carburettor, in case John Washburn is seeing this.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

I.V. Tom

Hi Bruce, I have encountered this wiring problem before, as related to the generator light, but if the headlight switch will turn on the inside dome lights, wouldn't this indicate it is getting power?

I.V. Tom

I tried to get my hand on the light switch, as suggested by Stampie, I did find the wires, and coupler, a little tugging on it, and I had lights.  Apparently corroded connectors.  Thanks to all.   Tom

35-709

Good that I.V. Tom found his problem.  Sometimes when the headlights fail it is due to a bad dimmer switch.\
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2