News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring a 1956 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe in Germany

Started by harascho, January 14, 2016, 03:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harascho

Hi folks, I am from Germany and have a 2 dr. 1956 Cadillac Series 62. It looks quite reasonably from outside, even the interior could be cleaned up to a certain point. The bad stuff begins underneath it.
Rust... lots of it..... and even more....
The rockers are shot, quater panels and lower parts of front fenders are shot as are some of the floor braces. The floorboards themselfs look ok from underneath... we will see what they look like when the carpet and all the underbody coating is removed.

I have some oil leaks, power steering and tranny and the master cylinder is also causing problems. Nothing too serious....

So far so good. I could source most of the parts even the rockers but couldn't find those floor bbraces. Has anybody some ideas or will it call for fabrication time..... I went through worse times... I completely rebuilt  a 1966 Olds Toronado the last years... down to the very last bolt...

It  seems although the Caddy is looking quite well maintained from the technical side and also is quite original. Somebody messed with  the rear springs. They have 7 leafs a piece and the one set of the left side has a groove on all of the leafs. From the pics I took before disassembly the heigh front and rear was too high...
On the good side I have an engine starting nicely, running very smooth, a nice shifting tranny and all the rest is working ( warning lights, blower, wipers...)
enjoy the pics...

best regards from Germany

Harald

harascho

Here are some more pics of the nice stuff...

harascho

And here it gets worse...

harascho

So it's time for a short summary....
I decided to get the Caddy back on the road. First attempt is not a frame off restoration but a complete underbody reworking, de-rusting, repairing session. I started by removing the rear axle to gain access to the frame spots that need attention. In that process I took care of the axle and drive shaft. The drums were sanblasted, protected with KBS coating and later turned on a lathe. A rebuild kit for the Bendix brake booster / master cylinder is ordered as are brake shoes and two wheel cylinders. Today I started removing the old underbody tar... in the oldfashioned way.. scrapers and a torch to heat and soften the thick stuff... It will take some days until everything is removed.. Then I will start welding the frame and the other rust issues on the floor pan. Last thing are the rockers and floor braces...

we will see... definetely a thing which needs a lot of patience...

harascho

So now after a few evenings, my neck and shoulders hurt like hell and I have to work on other things for a while before I remove the rest of the underbody stuff.
In the meantime I removed the fenders, radiator support and brake booster. All the parts will be media blasted and repainted. The ones sitting in the harm of road debris and water will be treated with KBS coating, which I used all over my Toronado.

I also have to look for a new or repairable gas tank. The new ones are starting at 350USD but the freight to Germany and the taxes and customs bring it close to 850â,¬ delivered to my door..... to much right now...
see attached a few shots of my last project...

cheers Harald

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Harald,

Looks like this car has spent most of its' life on the Salty roads of USA according to the rustifications of vital parts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

russ austin

Yea, those German inspectors are tough. All the rust has to be repaired.   Unless your worried about originality, those German automobiles should have plenty of gas tanks to choose from.
R.Austin

goofyhb

Hello Harald,
probably you found the parts dealers in South Germany. Both seem to have used parts in Addition to new parts. Another source is TaMotors in Sweden. Where are you located? I am near to Hamburg. I have not had contact with Route66 in Hamburg yet, but they seem to maintain some of the Cadillacs here and are worth a call.
Maybe someone has a interchange Manual and can look up if the gas tank is used in other models as well. This would give you more Chances to find one in Europe.
Regards
Axel
P.S.: My wife would have killed me when my car would have been such a "oben hui - unten pfui" example. Hope you knew what you were buying.
1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood

DeVille68

Oh, wow. How could such a nice car look so bad underneath! :D

At least it seams that the car is in good hands now! Keep us updated.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Cadillac Service in Unna Germany has not been mentioned. Windy has a lot of 56 pieces and sheetmetal in stock. He also has a very good 56 parts car that will be shipped to hi, I know because the car is here at my place.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

harascho

So a week passed and the frame is repaired. I cut out all the frame rod and welded in new sections. The front spring hangers were definitely in need of attention... In the meantime I removed the front fenders to gain acces to the front frame and to repair the fenders. I blasted the blowers and headlights... good as new..;-)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking good.

Was the rust from spending most of its' life in Germany?   Or USA?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harascho

This is good 'ol american rust. The Caddy spent its life in the northern part of PA.

Yes its a "little" rusty..;-)  But as I said, not my first restoration, not my last and I learnt something the hard way: When you are working on old, rare cars with bad parts availability the most important thing is to buy a complete car. Next thing is the worst enemys of a classic car are the owners who think they would be able to tackle difficult tasks... Some cars end as a real mess that way... no bolt is there were it should be...
So all in all I am quite happy with my car. It could be better, that's for sure but rust is only work. You need time, patience and you have to know how to work with metal.
As you might see I know my way around a welder..;-)

Harald

harascho

Who said I won't drop the frame? Ok it was me... actually it will be another body off restauration. Easier that way and the result will be a much better car. I was lucky as the frame and underbody rust weren't as bad as I first expected..;-)

Harald

harascho

I got the frame of my 1956 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe ready for paint.
It was a kind of a mission...
wink emoticon

Step 1: removing underbody tar with a torch and a scraper
Step 2: patch the rust areas
Step 3: decide to go for a body Off restauration
Step 4: remove the rest of the black stuff as in Step 1
Step 5: slightly media blast everything
Step 6: use a good chemical rust remover
Step 7: pressure clean the frame
Step 8: dry it with compressed air
Step 9: apply KBS rust blast
Step 10: let it sit
Step 11: let it sit a little more
Step 12: pressure clean again
Step 13: dry with compressed air

coffee after steps 3, 6 10
Something to eat : after 5, 13...
wink emoticon

It took me the afternoons and evenings of the last week and the whole Friday and Saturday... but it was worth the work... There is nothing some ellbow grease and the imagination of driving the Caddy in the summer can't do..

Harald

harascho

Finally the Bendix Treadel Master cylinder / booster is assembled and installed... it's a lot more fun if you can see some progress...

57eldoking

1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

harascho

Hi folks,

it was kind of quiet in my Caddy restoration. The last week finally I began working on the wonderful patched front fenders. I am not sooo deep into bodywork but careful planning and some elbow grease got me to the point... see pics

harascho

and look what I found under the back seat...