News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

FINALLY

Started by jp70deville-CLC #24151, September 29, 2009, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp70deville-CLC #24151

I have my baby home...just waiting on an exhaust and we're cruisin' although we already have been...but she seems a 'lil choked up:) I'll follow up with another posting of the interior
Jeff --CLC 24151

jaxops

A beautiful car JP! Congratualtions! 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Rich S

Outstanding car! Gorgeous color combination--I've always been partial to the Palmetto Green and White combination since a friend of our family had a 1969 DeVille Convertible in that combination when I was a child. Tell us something about your car--briefly, what's its story? How much is original? Good luck for a fabulous "find" among collector cars!  8)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Thanks Mark & Rick...as for her story..not much to tell--I guess that's good, but I got her from the orignal owner's daughter (it was her mom's) I have all of the original documentation when her dad ordered the car 4/20/70 ( even have the coveted protect-o-plate)..--she was then produced 5/20/70 and took delivery June 20th..eight days before I was born!!!  I first saw it in her garage about 12 years ago when I moved to the area and from that day said "I must own this car!!"  Evetually the owner realized I was serious and I bought it at the end of this August.  It had just under 39K on the odo..and I have put about 200 miles on it since.  It hadn't been driven for about 14 years. I had it flatbedded to a friend/mechanic who had her running the next day.  It needed tires and battery (obviously) a new radiator core, belt & hoses.  It is in DIRE need of an exhaust system, front to back, which I have on order and waiting for it any day now.  It is like '69s Palmetto Green, but in 1970 it was called lanai green, a 'spring color' made from April-June of that year, which I learned is pretty rare, some 2,200 or so, I think.  The interior is just phenominal, I don't know that the back seat had ever been sat in. To me, the price was more than fair but that's where the worst thing happened. The day before I took her the check, the spring on garage door snapped dented the hood and left a spiraling scratch all the way over to the passenger fender, thus scratching it down the side!!  You can imagine my vocabulary when I saw it!! I've waited all this time and now THIS!!!!.. She is going to pay for the repair and make it right...but it'll never been 100% original as it was until that happened...I know it could have been worse, but it's gonna be a bugger matching that paint!!!
Jeff --CLC 24151

Otto Skorzeny

Did the scratch go all the way to the primer or to the metal? If not a COMPETENT detailer may be able to repair it without painting.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Otto

It actually dented the hood to bare metal...I too wonder if the scratch can be buffed out, but it also chipped the paint down to the metal on the very top or 'spear' of the fender
Jeff --CLC 24151

Otto Skorzeny

fward

jp70deville-CLC #24151

I actually said worse than that when I saw it :o
Jeff --CLC 24151

jaxops

Ouch!  Make sure as Otto said that it is a good shop otherwise you'll be staring at a shiny spot forever!  Years ago I had a shop in Massachusetts close the garage door on the rear bumper of my 70 Electra because it didn't fit inside, and didn't think that he had to fix it.  He said, "whaaaat?  It's just an' old caaaaar anyways!"  There is always some "Amathon" (dumkopf) out there that you have to deal with. 

Hang in there- it is worth it to keep your deVille running! 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Doug Houston

I have a '70 Cadillac (convertible), that I've had for about 35 years. It will need a new paint job. The original paint on it has crazed, and will need to go down to the metal. When I do it, I'm going to do what I'm doing with all of my collector cars. Stainless exhaust system from Classic Exhauset, and stainless brake lines, from Inline Tube. While the '70 has dual brake systems, I've had four cases of pi holes rusted through brake tubing, and I'm not goung to have another.

This car  has the trickiest fule tank to fill that I've ever had. The nozzle has to be in the filler neck in a very critical angle before you can get the gas to go in.

You'll feel like royalty in that thing!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Doug Houston #2257 on October 02, 2009, 06:34:35 PM
This car  has the trickiest fule tank to fill that I've ever had. The nozzle has to be in the filler neck in a very critical angle before you can get the gas to go in.

Glad to hear it's not just me! I thought maybe it was just California gas nozzles with the vapor recuperation sleeve on them. Have to get it moved just right to get it back out of the car, and you have to have it jammed in pretty far to get it to fill. This is on my '66 where the fill is behind the plate. Don't know if '70 is the same location.
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

The modern nozzles are a big part of the problem.

My '79 Ford truck has a hard time when the final gallon or two is being pumped.
fward

jp70deville-CLC #24151

In 4 weeks (without much driving lately) I have only made one trip to the gas station and it did keep shutting off, until like a couple of you said I got it in the right angle
Jeff --CLC 24151

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Doug, Is your finsh original? The reason I ask is that mine is, too or so I thought, on the drivers door by the mirror and on both back fenders in the 'troughs' on top...I took a clay bar to those places and the 'craziness' went away...Just a thought

Quote from: Doug Houston #2257 on October 02, 2009, 06:34:35 PM
I have a '70 Cadillac (convertible), that I've had for about 35 years. It will need a new paint job. The original paint on it has crazed, and will need to go down to the metal. When I do it, I'm going to do what I'm doing with all of my collector cars. Stainless exhaust system from Classic Exhauset, and stainless brake lines, from Inline Tube. While the '70 has dual brake systems, I've had four cases of pi holes rusted through brake tubing, and I'm not goung to have another.

You'll feel like royalty in that thing!
[/quot
Jeff --CLC 24151