News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

3D Printing..again

Started by waterzap, July 22, 2014, 12:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

http://makerbot-blog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Rls_MakerBot_HomeDepot_fx.pdf

So I am wondering. Could we maybe have a repository of 3D parts specs in a Cadillac Club database in the future? These things are really starting to come into the main stream
Leesburg, AL

gary griffin

Great Idea Waldo, that technology is growing quite rapidly.  They come in all price ranges from $10,000 to $100,000 and probably more.  Jay Leno has one for example (I bet it is not the $10,000 model)

Imagine taking your part to a local store with a 3D scanner and a member across the country receiving the data at his local 3D printer store and in a few minutes he has the part in his hand.

As the technology grows the products will get better and cheaper.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Gene Beaird

You can buy some nice ones for less than $2K these days:

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-mini

The problem though, is you still need the rendering software to interface with the printer, and a decent computer to create/edit/process the 3-d printer files.

I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on one myself. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

gary griffin

Another problem is the cost of materials and the stocking if the vast array of materials that can be used. Basic cost of cheapest material is about $16 a cubic inch and it goes up drastically for better materials.  As the materials are developed and prices come down on the materials and equipment they will become more viable.  In my earlier response I used figures including starting prices of $10,000, and since I looked into this a while ago the equipment prices have been coming down to under $3,000 for entry level equipment now I see.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver