News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'40 LaSalle Starter Upgrade

Started by csearider, May 01, 2013, 10:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

Any advice on how to boost performance of my 6-volt starter while I have it out of vehicle. Am doing engine overhaul and a good time to consider this. Are there larger brushes or other to help eliminate the dragging effect of the stock starter or is this just typical of the animal?

Bill Ingler #7799

Any 6 volt Cadillac with a rebuilt starter, proper size battery cables and proper grounding will start today as it did when new. I have found using double 00 welding cable for the battery cable is a must for a 6 volt system. I ground my battery cable to one of the starter mounting bolts. I think a better cable grounding point is used by Doug Houston who mounts a grounding stud to the end of the starter and then grounds the cable to that stud. Find the search area at the top of this page and type in Grounding for Starter. You will find about 25 good postings on grounding the 6 volt.

Now even after all of the above I hear complaints on a slow start or no start at all from a hot engine. This can happen after you stop for gas and try a start. Sometimes that carb gets hot enough to percolate the fuel in the carb or else a vapor lock will develop. I always turn on my aux fuel pump on a hot engine start to ensure the carb is getting fuel. Works for me.   Bill

Jay Friedman

I agreee with Bill. 

On my 6 volt '49 I:

1. installed a 00 gauge battery cable made from welding cable;
2. bought new ground straps;
3. cleaned paint off all the grounding points including where the starter mates to the flywheel housing;
4. bought a battery with at least 600 cold cranking amps.

I also had the starter rebuilt with heavy duty field coils.  It now starts well, even when hot after a high speed drive.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

csearider

Bill and Jay,

Extremely good advice. Will do while engine block out of vehicle. Thanks so much.

Jay,
Where did you locate heavy duty field coils. My local electric shop will install if I find the part ( He says the requests he gets from antique folks he appreciates, but he doesn't have resources to find parts for these older cars and keep his prices down as it is a small shop, its a time thing). I want to rebuild starter prior to engine going back in and would like to acquire now.

startergenrebuilder

Not sure if you're still looking or not. I can help you with the heavy duty higher torque field coils for your starter. let me know if i can help you out.
-Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Grand Ledge, MI
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com