News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Allante collectibility??

Started by dulcidog, November 26, 2012, 09:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dulcidog

Wanted to get some thoughts,These seem to be bottoming out anyone like them? Will they be worth anything? Just looking for opinions
Thanks-Bill L
B. Lawlor
Ct

Guidematic

No doubt they will. They posess all the attributes that make any car a collectible.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

D.Yaros

Owning a '92, needless to say, I like 'em!

Collectible?  Yes, most definitely.  However, just as definite, not in my lifetime (I am age 65)!

When one looks at what they sell for today, compared to original purchase price, one wants to cry!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

TJ Hopland

I have sort of looked at them too.   I have seen what appeared to be very nice clean examples for sale not much over typical clean used car prices.   If you have the space and money now may be a good time to buy. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

okccadman

I think they have just about bottomed out in price.  Owning a 93, they are fun cars and still have a great style to them.  As always, look for the best untampered with examples.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: dulcidog on November 26, 2012, 09:18:41 PM
Wanted to get some thoughts,These seem to be bottoming out anyone like them? Will they be worth anything? Just looking for opinions
Thanks-Bill L

Have Allantes bottomed out in value? Possibly.

Will they be worth anything? Well, they're worth something right now. If you're asking whether the Allante with ever develop a strong enough following resulting in significant appreciation over the next couple of decades, that's another story. Personally, I don't see this happening in that time frame.

Bottom line is this: By all means buy yourself an Allante if you feel it's worth it to you because you are going to like and enjoy the car, which is all that matters in the final analysis. In making your selection, I'd strongly recommend you limit your search to the 1992 model and also that you buy the finest, low mileage, pristine example you can find. There are still many Allantes around in relatively good condition but only those in top-tier condition stand the best chance of future appreciation- if and when the day comes.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Guidematic

Allantes were never really regarded and an inexpensive car to operate. Even when new. And as such I agree with the '92 models. While the '93's with the Northstar engine are veritable hot rods, I am not convinced these early examples of the Northstar are good to own if you plan on driving the car regularly. They are a nightmare to repair, and they have certain tendencies like high oil consumption ( which was an issue for a long time), and oil leaks.

The 4.5 was a good solid dependible engine and relatively easy to work on, plus they had the lovely intake system I can stare at for hours.

I do have a couple of friends with Allantes and they love their cars, and really have had very little trouble with them, one uses his daily.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

TJ Hopland

Wasn't there an engine that it never got?   Was it skipped the 4.9?   It held the 4.5 till it got the Northstar?   They just never bothered to make a special version of the 4.9 because the Northstar was in the works?    Those cars had a special intake and multiport even back in the 4100 days didnt they?

What was the deal with the brakes?   Wasnt there something extra strange about the earlier ones?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Allante Engines.

1987-1988    HT 4100

1989-1992     4.5 Liter

1993              4.6 Liter DOHC (Northstar)

TJ Hopland

The rest of the cars got the 4.9 in 91?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the 1988 DeVilles had the 4.5, why would the Allante's have still got the 4100?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 27, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
If the 1988 DeVilles had the 4.5, why would the Allante's have still got the 4100?

Bruce. >:D

Because they're idiots.  :o

**Or at least most of GM was run by them in the '80s.   >:(

Davidinhartford

1987 Cadillac Allante Commercial

http://youtu.be/CqUOUubitQE

1989 Allante road test.

http://youtu.be/RIJJZIGTsDM

76eldo

I understand the thinking on the 92, but the Bosch brake system's potential for failure is a big  negative for me.  The 93's have a lot more horsepower, more comfortable seats, totally different suspension, and standard Eldorado brake, suspension, and radio components.

I have owned a 91, 1 92, and a super low mileage 93 and the 93 was by far the best one I had.  It's all subjective and opinion, but a low mileage 93 is the best bet and if you are thinking about potential to appreciate in value, the 93 has it.

That being said, the leading Allante experts, Tom, Dick, and Johnny all seem to favor the phase II cars (90.5, 91, and 92) for their personal rides, and they are the experts.

Right now, values are down, and there are a LOT of Allante's getting parted out which will make the survivors all worth a lot of money someday.  After all, it's a Cadillac, it's got an Italian built body, it's a two seater, and a convertible.

Name ANY car that is a two seater convertible, especially built by a high end carmaker that isn't worth money...

Corvette's, early T-Birds, Nash Healy, Kaiser Darrin, stuff like that.  Once shunned and low priced, now extremely valuable.

Allante's, long-term, are smart investments, in my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I suspect that Brian is right on this issue.  I have long thought these were beautiful cars.  After I purchased my 59, the Allante moved to the top of my "wish list".   I have purchased several cars since then, and, in spite of coming close, I never could seem to pull the trigger on the purchase of an Allante.  I did a lot of  reading and research, and for me, their reputations for poor reliability (whether right or not) and difficulty in obtaining certain parts always seemed to stop me from making a purchase.

76eldo

I neglected to mention that I no longer own an Allante, except for two 87's I am parting out.

I bought a 12,000 mile 93 a few years ago from someone on the board and I loved the car.  I flew out to Columbus Ohio and drove it back.  It was Pearl Red, Tan interior, chrome wheels, and purchased new by a Cadillac collector/enthusiast.

I never thought I would sell it, but when the 60 Convertible that I now own became available due to the death of a fellow Valley Forge region member, I was able to buy the car, but the Allante had to go because I needed the funds.

I sold the car 3 years ago for $18,000 and held it in my garage for a couple of months until the buyer in Northern California could line up transport.  It was top money for a mint 93 in a desirable color with a very hard to find hardtop (93 only).  I had no problem selling the car because it was so nice, so if you are thinking about buying an Allante, they are nice in any year or color, but buy the best one you can find so you don't have to dump tons of money into it.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I owned a 1987 back in the early nineties. It was a lovely car except if you actually tried to use it.

In that case, it was an execrable piece of crap with barely enough reliability to make it to the next stoplight.

Roger Zimmermann

To each his own; I don't like Allants. In my opinion, the stupid roof mechanism killed the car. Not all Cadillacs are collectible; I doubt that the Allante will be much appreciate in 20 or 30 years. It was a commercial flop; this fact has an impact about collectibility.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Series75

As a 1993 owner I have to agree with Brian, if you want to play with an Allante for a while and then shift it to a new owner the 93 has the widest buyer audience.  It's also the typical GM best of breed in its last year of production.  The 1992 lower production formula for collectivety puzzles me, the brake system is a big worry and I'm not sure people are lining up to buy 1942 model Cadillacs because of thier low production numbers.
By the way the Top mechanisim is a real loser.  It does keep my wife and kids out of the car though as they would never think of attempting to tackle it's stupid design.   Tom CLC#6866

TJ Hopland

They came up with something more unique than the scissors top?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV