News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why vacuum wipers?

Started by TJ Hopland, August 31, 2015, 11:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

I get the "cheap" element of those vacuum motors...seems as if GM went through these "vacuum" phases  even after the 12 volt revolutions with the first generation air ride compressors, door locks, headlight shutters (on early Eldorados)- and the ever present emergency brake release and hvac mode control motors-- perhaps the "bean counters" were already undermining the brand decades before it became painfully obvious.

Walter Youshock

GM didn't manufacture the wiper systems.  They were purchased from Trico.  Trico supplied every car manufacturer back then. The washers, transmissions, arms, blades, everything was made by Trico.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CEC #20099

ALL: Buy a Mopar. 2 speed ELECTRIC wipers, 6 V, from after WW2. I believe they had Electric Autolite motors, which were not huge, didn`t suck the battery dry, & worked just fine. GM was too set in their ways to update. Same with power steering. Davis approached GM in the 30`s with a good system. They blew him off. The 1951 Chrysler had a HEMI, & Power Steering. GM finally had to respond. Styling sells.
c chleboun #20099

Glen

The vacuum wipers worked well when the cars were new.  Why spend a lot of money to fix something that was not broken?  The problems did not show up until the cars had many miles on them.  By then the vacuum pump on the fuel pump was worn and the check valves in the manifold on the firewall were not working.  Most people did not take their old car to the shop just to fix slow wipers.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Lincoln had vacuum wipers till the early sixties!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jay Friedman

I had my Trico vacuum motor rebuilt by www.wiperman.com, replaced all the hoses and had the fuel/vacuum pump rebuilt by Gould.  The wipers now work well.  They are very fast in high vacuum situations, to the point that I only need to turn the control button halfway open to have them go at an adequate speed.  Going up a hill they slow down considerably but don't stop.  (Luckily the area is not too hilly and I don't drive in the rain very much.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bill06447

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 02, 2015, 02:57:42 AM
Lincoln had vacuum wipers till the early sixties!
...then they switched to hydraulic wipers driven off the power steering pump which IMO were WORSE!

Bill