News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

7.00x15 to Radial Tire Conversion

Started by Jeff Baker #23244, March 12, 2007, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Baker #23244

I have a 42 Cadillac Series 62. The tire size is 7.00x15. My question is what radial tire can I put on the car that will be close in size to the 7x15 and still work with the fender skirts. I know Diamonback makes a 7x15 radial, but right now we cant afford $600 for a set of tires. This is not a show car, just a driver. The 7x15 has a diameter of 29.2 and a cross section of 7.35. Thanks for any help.

Jan #17589

Jef and others,
The link came out wrong when I used the cut and paste metod.
Please add a percent sign(percent) before the number 20 on both places,
and it should work.

Jan

Bill Sullivan

Jeff:

I had some 225 X 15 radials on the car and it looked like a street rod, tires were just too fat.  Steering was heavy too.

I ended up replacing them with an excellent Yokohama blackwall 7.00 X 15 radial tire I found.  This is the same tire that Diamondback uses to convert to wide whites.  You can get these blackwall Yokohamas for about $100 each.

This is an 85 series tire, so they are tall and skinny like the original tires.  Steering is very precise and light and the tires look correct on the car.  But they do have large, raised black lettering that hardly looks period.  But it is hard to see that lettering from 10 ft or more away.

Most dealers dont have these tires in stock, they are built for the RV trailer market.  But my local dealer ordered them and they were here in just a few days.  If you can live with blackwalls, they are a much lower cost alternative that the various wide whitewall radials on the market.

Bill.  

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Thanks for the tip Bill.  I have Firestone bias ply whitewalls now, but when they get older, I had thought about blackwalls.  There has been a discussion on a CCCA forum about the overuse of whitewalls.  I hadnt known that in 46 and 47 whitewalls were not available new.  

Dave

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Dont forget that Coker says that you might have wheel problems with radials. As in disintegrating. I dont think a tire mfg. would say this when he sells both types. Id check it out before spending the $s. (It mentions this in the catalog that came with your Hemmings last month.)