News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle steering column

Started by Jack Carroll #18687, April 12, 2007, 08:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Carroll #18687

What color is the steering column between the firewall and the
steering box and the steering box its self on a 39 LaSalle.
An illustration on pg. 336 of  LaSalle Cadillacs Companion
Car shows it Black in the engine area and Brown in the passenger
area is this correct or should the complete assembly be Brown ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Jack Carroll

baxter culver #17184

I dont know for sure about LaSalle but my never re-painted 39 60S is brown from steering wheel to steering box.  Why would the manufacturer split the color half-way down the column??  Just a guess but I think if it is brown inside the car, it is brown in the engine bay.

Mike Simmons (938)

Jack- Go with Baxter on this. The 48 parts book states that the strg col, wheel hub, bracket,gear shift housing tube and hand brake lever-all series- are painted Cocoa Brown synthetic enamel (R&M-probably-242-53199)

Herman

Jack

I am not sure what your year calls for but my research for the 1948, all books I could find showed the tube where it exits the firewall to be raw metal including the steering box, and inside the 48 convertible series to be black.  So how do you make a decision, good question.  Sorry to throw in the monkey wrench.

Herman#19416

Jack Carroll #18687

Baxter, Thanks for the info. A few years ago I had the steering box rebuilt and then I painted it and the column brown assuming
they wouldnt paint it 2 toned. Since Im redoing the complete
front end Im going to freshen up the paint and wanted to make
sure I was on the right track.

Thanks to all
Jack Carroll