News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 caddy trans woes

Started by art woody, December 27, 2005, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art woody

Are there and transmission gurus out there that can shed some light on a 57 tranny which works fine thru first, second, third, then goes nuetral after third under slight acceleration, then catches smoothly under harder acceleration but never seems to go into fourth gear (no fourth gear). Reverse also works normally. Thanks for any insight in advance.

Roger Zimmermann #21015

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his 57 Brougham. After a long discussion with him, he admitted that he had trouble to take apart the front unit coupling. He removed the transmission from the car to inspect the parts. The front unit coupling cover had indeed a crack caused by improper removing. I could supply a good cover to solve the problem.
The front unit coupling is also used for the second gear; according to the logic, the second gear should give also some trouble when the front unit coupling is not good. In case of my friend, he had just a trouble with the 4th speed.
Good luck,
Roger

Ed Mobley - CLC 19300

Sounds like low oil pressure to me - maybe a bad pump or a very leaky front coupling unit (cracked cover, stuck exhaust valve).  I suggest you hook up a pressure guage as per the directions in the service manual and let me know what you get.  I can help you from there.

I ended up running a piece of copper tubing into the passenger compartment where I could monitor transmission pressure.  

Regards,

Ed

art woody

Thanks for the input, I dont have a service manual for this model yet, but will soon.

Ed Mobley - CLC 19300

I have the version from http://www.detroitiron.com TARGET=_blank>www.detroitiron.com

Regards,

Ed