News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Sedan DeVille

Started by Barry Ashdown, February 20, 2005, 06:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Ashdown

Hi Guys

I am a member of the AACI (UK) in England, and have tried on opur forum to enlist some help with the strip-down of my 1960 Sedan DeVille (6 Window) its a 6329. I was having trouble with removing the chrome trim fixed to the front fender arches, but one of our guys pointed me in the right direction (8mm self-tapping bolts to the inner fender edge - so thats OK.  
I am now starting to remove the interior, initially the door panels. However, I cannot seem to find out how the DOOR PULLS are fixed to the door/door panel.  I guess, although its hard to see that the small quarter light window winder is held in by a Hairpin shaped wire clip, but havent got to that yet.

Any help with removing these items in particular and the door panel in general would be greatly appreciated.  One of our Guys suggested you might be able to help.

Thanks for reading anyway,

Best Wishes
Barry

JIM CLC # 15000

02-20-05
Barry, the door-pull that you are having trouble figuring out how it is connected, is it a strap or, is it a metal-spring-loaded handle?
If it is the strap type, there will be a screw in either end of the strap, under a chrome cover.
The covers will come-off, either they snap in or I have seen some that used double-sided tape.
If it is the metal handle, I think it will remain on the door panel, having screws connecting it fron the back-side.
If I am wrong in what I have said, someone will correct me.LOL
Good Luck, and happy pulling, Jim

Barry Ashdown

Thanks Jim
Will try to remove panel without worrying about removing door pull first.  My door pulls are the metal type, so your suggestion would make sense that they are fixed from the rear as the front does not appear to have any removable parts.  Working during the week so will have towait till weekend (assuming weather OK its currently snowing and just below freezing) Also,do you know if I need a special tool to remove the window winder handle (one for the quarter light) as I am unable to prise door card back far enough to see how its fixed.  Discovered the door mirror adjuster had a grub screw fixing, but window winder does not appear to be fitted the same.

Many thanks thoough for your guidance.

Regards

Barry

JIM CLC # 15000

02-21-05
Barry, yes, there is a tool for removing the hair-pin clip, but, it can be removed by several means, small-flat screwdriver, to push the clip back, or a cotter key removal tool, the pointy end, put it in the loop of the clip and remove it.
When you go to install the handles, first, install the clip in the handle clip slot, put handle in place and hit with heel of hand or a rubber hammer. It will snap in place.

Good Luck, it will warm-up, Jim

Barry Ashdown

Hi Jim

Many thanks for the advice again.  Will try that at the weekend (when Ive got my thermals on, that is). Still Im sure your right about the weather warming-up, trouble is for the past couple of weeks it has been unusually mild for January/February (up in the 50s, sometimes even at night) so were feeling it even more so now.  Unfortunately our garages over here are not built to accommodate the typical USA beauty, so its all down to working on stripping her down out in the open.  (Weather permitting)Just want to get her done for the Summer and the shows and just plain cruising!!  I purchased her from a guy in Floresville Texas in June, she arrived in the UK in September, and onto my driveway by October.  Only got to drive her to our local M.O.T. station and back (approx 6 miles). NEVER MIND.  Hope you wont mind if I can call on you again to enlist your help if I get a further problem I cant solve.

Thanks again, Best wishes

Barry