News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Barn find 53 Eldo

Started by Quentin Hall, August 30, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

Ray, I have the blue and the white....once you see Tony's red car you will understand that it's contest over. I am content just to look at the red car. Game, set, match..... over. Luckily the only person to probably ever be brave enough to park beside Tony's red car will be Warren.  His artisan ochre is also coming along beautifully.
   We have therapy sessions in groups now.
My blue car is the same combo as the newly found car as well. . . That's if the black top is original to the new one. Regardless. I still think white with red and white interior, black top is the quintessential 53Eldo combo. . . Might be the topic of next Thursdays group therapy session. Tony no doubt , just always sees red.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Art, the point is that an unrestored 53 Eldo in unrestored Cond, with all the Eldo only items intact is worth every last cent of $75k to $100k. You can argue that you can get a different model Cadillac cheaper in pristine Cond, or a fully restored 53 Eldo for under $200k.
Both points are somewhat irrelevant. Point is to restore one to the highest level costs in excess of  $250k.. . Not counting the original purchase cost of the car.
There have been half adozen 53 Eldo sales over $400k.
My original assessment of the ebay car still stands. It is a very worthy car for the money.
Not many like this one are still out there. Someone will love and adore it and give it a bath and tuck it in......It might be 10 years or even 20 before it gets done. Time won't change what it is. . .except possibly make it more special.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Trust Q to stir the ........  At least I hope this exchange will not go 22 pages like the - I need advice on buying a 59 Eldo - drivel.
In reading the comments here, it seems that there are 2 camps in the bowl of sour grapes:
The, I can't do the work myself, and the I don't have the money - and all the rationals that justify both points of view.
Although I'm not in the bowl, I'm one that doesn't have the money - just recently bought a 57 Biarritz (barn find) - if I had only waited.
I particularly liked the Corvette in the junk yard costing more than the showroom fresh car story.  No truer words were ever spoken, and we have all heard similar stories many times.

BUT, the heart wants, what the heart wants.

And, if you have the jacks or better to buy into the game, then I say go for it.
Because IMHO: ain't makin'm any more, the thrill of the chase, the bringing back of the heart beat, the snatching it from the grip of the grim reaper crusher, that makes our passion with a Cadillac and our membership in this club all worth it.
Otherwise - go buy a 2015.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If one is fortunate enough to be the type who can afford to drop half-a-mil in Vegas in a single weekend without thinking twice about it (and they do exist), I suppose a somewhat lesser sum is just as well dropped into this '53 Eldorado to bring it to concours level - and at least have something to show for it - whether win, lose or draw.

Such a proposition would put the likes of me in the poorhouse without passing GO, however.

As my mechanic would say, "It's people like that is what makes America great!"  8)

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

sding

Quote from: 49er on September 01, 2014, 07:12:29 AM

Quentin,  we can define the hobby anyway we wish. At least as many ways as you can decorate a birthday cake. However, it won't change what's inside. This car is basically junk. Any future buyer ready to plop down 2 big ones will want everything perfect. From the light switches to the MC TO the tiny smallest detail. What you want to do is close the barn door before the thing gets out. Burn the barn to the ground the car will be no worse off for the trouble. Jump right in there on the bidding. You could be the lucky one and take this little bad boy home for 70 K or a little more. Drop another 100 big ones in it. This little wonderful barn find isn't even breathing so you won't have to shoot it in the head. This is a #5 car needing everything, everything just to make it presentable. To make it so someone will reach into their pocket and pull out high 6 figures it better be as factory and nothing less. If one starts at the figures this happy go lucky crowd has bid it up to, good luck. Don't let it get away. Even to ship it all the way down there you will have a bargain. All I need is one match.

Art you advocate "burn the barn to the ground the car will be no worse off for the trouble" Sad :-\

76eldo

If you have never driven a 1953 Eldorado in fine original condition or mint restored condition you cannot understand how nice these cars are.

They also represent a time in Cadillac history when styling was everything and there was a no expense spared mentality. It was all about making sure that Cadillac outpaced  Lincoln and Packard.

I got to drive one last year while doing an inspection and purchase for someone in Europe.
The car was spectacular but the buyer got cold feet and pulled out if the deal.  I had the car bought for $185,000. 

I can see where someone could get carried away in purchasing one that needs total restoration but even if the starting point is high it doesn't matter if you are financially able to make it happen.
I don't think I will ever own a 1953 Eldorado.  I don't have the time money it patience to do a total restoration either but fortunately someone will be bringing this car back to life.

Brian.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Quentin Hall

4 pages down, only 18 to go......
  What surprises me is the lack of appreciation for this car in it's current state by some on this forum. Makes me wonder how many other great cars were lost forever because they didn't sparkle like tinsel when they were found. Or smell like Armarall.
Don't get me wrong, I love restored cars. But a part of my appreciation of beauty and art sees real beauty in it exactly as it sits.
Any how gotta go to the dump today. That old clapped out dusty Duesy and that crusty old Hispano have had their day.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 02, 2014, 05:43:04 PM
Or smell like Armarall.

???

Who the hell likes the smell of ArmorAll?  :o

Worst product ever to get into the hands of the consumer, IMO.

Ever try getting it out of vinyl or leather its penetrated for umpteen years? Good luck.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

What can I say. That's a restorable car and its not for anyone here to assume that whoever the buyer is doesn't know what they are doing.  May its not for you, which is fine. There are many cars that others go nuts for that I would not give a 2nd look at.  There is over 100 years of old cars out there to play with.

I have seen this come up before and it's easy to do the math and calculate that the restoration cost will far exceed the cars value.

From now on ill keep my opinions to myself when it comes to a topic like this.

I have no dog in the fight as I am not the seller or a possible buyer.

Not every car can be a never driven old man's Caddy sitting in a garage with no miles on it.
Someone used this car but knew enough to somehow save it for a future owner to restore it.

Guys that play with cars from the 20's and 30's that have restored rare cars that were rotted away from the belt line down would look at this Eldo as an easy resto and laugh at the discussion here.

I defer to people like Quentin and Ray who have knowledge of these specific cars.

Over and out.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

INTMD8

Well worth saving IMO and far from junk. Rust? Cut it out and replace it. Missing parts? Make them from scratch. Will the finished car be worth what it took to get it there? For someone that can do most of the work themselves I think so.

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

76eldo

Q,

Can't read it without registering which I just did.
Waiting for activation.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Who says the project has to be profitable !!...........this is our hobby!

You live only once !......At least part of your life should be doing something you really enjoy!

Seeing this project to the end.......sweating the details of the effort....whatever floats your boat............making a heap of money.......maybe not this one!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Walter Youshock

This car could be restored to its former glory but the cost would kill whoever were to tackle it.  It's not the Dutchess that was a one - off Fleetwood custom. 

Personally,  if it were mine, I would get it in running condition and presentable and leave the cosmetics alone.  It may be worth more as an original at this stage.

And Eric is right with the analogy--a junkyard anything costs way more than a new one.  Leaving it as it is could be an authenticity jewel.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Quentin Hall

I have never had so much fun as this topic. . . not even on the "Wanted 59 Biarritz need advise" topic.
Art, George, Eric you are kidding me ????? You must  be boring  accountants. (sorry if I  offend any boring accountants out there). 
  Ok so it is an expensive "hobby" but why is the relationship as to the value of this car only seen by it's financial value? A 53 Eldo is an art piece. It's priceless really. Really none of us can put a true value on it. Anyone who has a creative bone in their body doesn't care about financial gain or loss. You need to go and have a good hard look at your "values".
  A great composer or painter doesn't think of his next work as merely a pay check. . . and if he does then the true meaning of his "art" will soon be exposed. You don't say " I think I love Beethoven's 5th, How much money did he make from it again?" . Or "I can't decide if I like Jackson Pollock's work or not? Oh $40 mil , then I must like it then?"
     Sure it must be nice if and when that financial windfall happens , but if that is your only motivation then get off this site and get on the NYSE site and buy shares. 
   Perhaps it's best if we all forget the price of this car. It's intrinsic value should be seen as  far greater than it's monetary worth.
   It's kind of sad that our money based society has to put a number on things just so the plebs can decide if they like it or not.
    If you have enough passion for anything in this short lifetime,  then you won't hesitate to  "take out a loan, mortgage your house, whatever and do it." It's not about the money.
     Ironically in all of this ,it is called an El dorado . Look up the literal Spanish translation sometime.  Wealth can be a metaphor not just a dollar $ign.         

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

5 pages . . . Yes High five. 17 to go.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

35-709

And it is just as bad.   ::)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

For those who have '53 Eldos, post a pic or two of them. Would love to see them.

Why not get it running/driving and leave the body like it is?  Great idea!!  It took 50+ years to get to this point, why not enjoy it like it is. It's always restorable at any time once acquired.

One more thought, it's all about the journey, not so much the destination.  This car would be that, a journey! 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

sding

Well, Art thinks I don't like, can't make money so. "burn it to the GROUND" So sad :(

Quentin Hall

Also likely a few donkeys and asses might be outside the barn as well. 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz