News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Edelbrock 1406 on a 59 Cadillac?

Started by kib, July 14, 2012, 03:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kib

I had so many issues on my carb the Rochester 4 brl, adjusted and adjusted but with no luck so fare. The carb is nt old but rebuilt and expencive enough. Is there any of the members having experience with Edelbrock carb on a 59 model? Gusee ther emust be adaptors in both ends to can use the air cleaner etc?

T.Kibsgaard

Dave Shepherd

Couild be wrong but I beleive Carter AFB/Edelbrock should bolt to the manifold, fuel lines linkage and choke may need some adapting.  Check the bolt pattern and throttle bore spacing and size, Btw I have never had an issue rebuilding the Rochester 4gc carb.

kib

Thanks!

To have the idle adjustet I need 4 turns on both sides to have the engine run near to normal during driving.
I understand it should be only 2 1/4 turn?

Thore

Jeff Wilk

Same here.  This carb is one of the most reliable.  Custom Rebuilt Carbs is an expert shop on these and can mY e offer some advice.   Customrebuiltcarbs.com

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

R Schroeder

Those two screws in the front are air / fuel mixture screws. Not the idle screw. The idle screw is on the driver side. The throttle tab stops up againist it.
The two in front are to be backed out until you get your highest rpm's,from about 2 turns out to start with. Then adjust the one on the side.
I can see why your having problems.
Roy

kib

Roy, when I have aprox 4 turns I got the highest rpm and the turn them back in?

Brg
Thore

R Schroeder

IF the rpm's stopped going up at 4 turns ,then you leave them alone. You may have to check each side ,going back and forth a couple of times, by going in on the screw, and then out to get the highest rpm. Then adjust the engine speed on the side of the carb for idle. Don't touch the front ones again, unless you want to try to fine tune the air/fuel mix once more. Then set idle speed screw on the side again.

kib

thanks for thie information

Brg Thore

R Schroeder

If that quadrajet is adjusted in right it should run very nice. They give you very little problems.

Dave Shepherd

Guys, remember this is not a Quadrajet, also a vacuum  gage is the best way to finalize a good idle setting, sorry if I am a PITA. 

R Schroeder

He stated it was a Rochester carb in his first sentence. To me that means Quadrajet. Right ?
I didnt want to get to technical with him. Yes the vacuum is one of the best ways. I use tach,and vacuum.
Wanted to see if he got it any better with what was told to him.
Dave, your not a PITA......................ha
Roy

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech/Rochester/Quadrajet-index.html

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dave is correct. A 59 carb is a regular Rochester  4 barrell. The quadrajet came out in 1967 on Cadillacs & had  much larger secondaries.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

R Schroeder

But they are adjusted the same. Correct ?
As far as the air fuel mixture. All that I ever worked on, are the same as far as setting the air/fuel mixture , for idle.
Roy

Philippe M. Ruel

The 4-turn base setting holds for Quadrajets.

Earlier "4-jet" (4GC) Rochesters require only about 1-1/2 to 2 turns.
1952 60 Special in France.

kib

Hi my, the carburetor is the original 1959 Rochester 4 GC as on the pictures in the manual section 10-35.
This one was re built in 2007 and still not work as I want it to. If I use only 1-1/2 to 2 turns the car just stop. But if I use 3-4 turns it will work in a way.

Brg
Thore

R Schroeder

It is possible you have other issues. Timing, vacuum leaks and the like.
Roy

Bill Caddyshack

I have just put a 1406 Edelbrock on my 59. I replaced a Carter and the fuel line fit exactly. Had to do a little modification and take part of the Carter linkage for the TV, but it works. Also be sure to hook up the electric choke to a key switched power source. I had it hooked to the + side of the coil and it did not work. I am going to hook it to the wiper motor.

Car starts runs very good with the new carb. I did have to get an aftermarket air filter as the Edelbrock throat is quite a bit bigger than the Carter. I am hoping to find an adapter that will allow me to use the stock filter.

Anyone know of such an adapter?

I do have one other question. The front of the 1406 has two small vacuum ports. The one on the passenger side, according to the Edelbrock CD is for "timed vacuum" the port on the driver side is "constant vacuum."

Any idea about which of these ports to hook to the timing advance on the distributor?

Gene Beaird

I wouldn't be too concerned with how many turns it takes to get the car to idle well, just that you _can_ adjust idle quality with those screws.  There are a lot of variables that can determine how many turns it takes to get the car to idle properly, and weather/altitude can be a very big factor.  The condition of the engine can be another. 

So start at 2-1/2 turns and see where you end up.  Don't be concerned that you are past 2-1/2 turns as long as you can get a proper idle.

@Bill; will this kit help:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Spectre-Air-cleaner-adapter-and-riser-kit/_/N-256l?itemIdentifier=228335_0_0_

?

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

curly

@Bill,
I have the same set up on my 59 Fleetwood. I used the timed vacuum at first, but I found the engine ran better with the manifold vacuum port hooked to the distributor.   I also used a relay on my electric choke to minimize the draw on the wiper circuit.
I'd be interested in an air cleaner adaptor as well.  I tried a similar kit to the one Gene linked in the post above, it didn't work. It was a different part number though.

T Lewis

Bill Caddyshack

Outer diameter of throats is about 4 5/8" old Carter/Rochester to 5 1/4" 1406 Edelbrock.

I appreciate the input about the advance and it would make sense not to use the "timed advance" whatever that is, and use the manifold constant vac like it was made for in 1958/59.