News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power Vent windows

Started by SK903, May 26, 2017, 11:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

In what year did power vent windows first become available?
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

David Greenburg

First appeared on the '57 Eldo Brougham, and were available on the rest of the line in '58 (standard on Eldorados and the Fleetwood 60S).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

SK903

I somehow remember seeing roll down windows on the 58 Eldos. Am I wrong? 
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: SK903 on November 26, 2017, 12:42:58 PM

Highly unlikely.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

william_b_noble

FWIW, my 59 has power vent windows.  the gears had gotten damaged and I was able to find replacements (modern reproductions I think).  that was years ago.
Bill N - clc # 2371

59-in-pieces

Bill,
I have had the same problems.
They originally had a nylon gear that directly connected to the shaft of the motor and axle, that either broke at the connection/axle, or the gear stripped.
The replacements were made of steel (see pic).
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Glen

Quote from: SK903 on November 26, 2017, 12:42:58 PM
I once saw a 61 Coupe DeVille with hand crank windows.  The car was at a Government surplus sale. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

D.Smith

Quote from: Glen on November 27, 2017, 12:58:49 AM
I once saw a 61 Coupe DeVille with hand crank windows.  The car was at a Government surplus sale.

Cranks vents? or crank windows?     In 1961 the base model Series Sixty Two coupes and Sedans had crank windows.   

Power windows were standard in the Fleetwoods, deVilles, Eldorado Biarritz and Series Sixty Two convertibles.

Power vents were standard in the Fleetwood Sixty Special & Eldorado Biarritz.

Power vents were optional on all others if equipped with power windows.

The car you saw must have been a Series Sixty Two coupe. 

Below:
Series Sixty Two coupe
Sedan deVille
Sixty Special

Matt CLC#18621

Baffles me when someone took the time to sit in a Cadillac dealership and order a fully loaded Cadillac during the 50's, 60's and maybe the 70's and made a concision decision not to order Power Vent windows if they were optional.

When the beautiful 1967 Fleetwood Eldorado was introduced, Cadillac made the mistake of making "manually operated rear vent windows standard on this luxurious behemoth, opting instead to designate Power Rear Vent Windows as optional for an additional $63.15.

During 2015, I looked at a fully loaded, family owned 67 Fleetwood Eldorado that was built during May, 1967, in Tampa. The original owner having taken the time to equip his 1967 Fleetwood Eldorado with bucket seats, tilt, cruise, Twilight Sentinel, Guide-Matic and power front disk brakes but did not order the optional power rear vents as he deemed them unnecessary. I was confident that if I were to purchase this 67 Eldorado, I could swap out the manual vent windows with power vents, but in the end, I am a purest and I prefer an unmolested vehicle built on the assembly line. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, the Estate was asking for what I deemed to be an exceptionally high and unreasonable premium for its beautiful 67 Fleetwood Eldorado.

Still looking for a 67 Fleetwood Eldorado with a sunroof installed by American Sunroof Corporation. I believe there is a Venetian Blue across the pond, owned by Gerald Loidl.

Have a great week!

Matt CLC#18621

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Matt,
What were the miles on that car & how much was the price?? What color was it in & out?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Quote from: D.Smith on November 27, 2017, 07:43:04 AM
Cranks vents? or crank windows?     In 1961 the base model Series Sixty Two coupes and Sedans had crank windows.   

Power windows were standard in the Fleetwoods, deVilles, Eldorado Biarritz and Series Sixty Two convertibles.

Power vents were standard in the Fleetwood Sixty Special & Eldorado Biarritz.

Power vents were optional on all others if equipped with power windows.

The car you saw must have been a Series Sixty Two coupe. 

Below:
Series Sixty Two coupe
Sedan deVille
Sixty Special

It is possible it was a series 62, but it had crank windows, and crank vents.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104