News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Light Monitors 1972 Eldorado

Started by Brian Daum, 18809, February 06, 2005, 06:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi!

My light monitors (fiber optics) on my newly purchased 1972 Eldorado seems a little dim. I have cleaned up old wax and also cleaned the ends with soap, but they still do not appear as bright as they do with newer cars.

Is it possible to cut the ends or clean them with any solvent to make them shine brighter?

Regards

Brian

Mike #19861

Did you also clean the ends where they sit in the lamp sockets? They can get covered in dirt here which will cause the to be dim.

Mike

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, yes I did clean them pretty good but they still seem far as bright as the ones I see on newer Cadillacs.

Any ideas on how to improve this?

Brian

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Are the rubber sleeves that fit into the headlights distorted, cracked, or missing?  What condition are the rubber seals in that go on top of the parking light assemblies?

Mike #19861

You could also try trimming a sliver off the ends of the optics with a very sharp knife or razor blade so that it does not distort the end of the cord. It will expose fresh material to the light which will then be better able to carry the light.

I know you asked this previously, but this approach can be taken when other attempts are exhausted.

Mike

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Also, as silly as it sounds, dont forget that the lights on the newer cars are brighter than those on the older cars.

It is the brilliance of the fillament that the fibre optics transmit along the length, and the old globes just arent as bright as the new Tungsten or Halogen globes.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV