News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Want To Buy - Cars / Re: 1927 LaSalle sedan
Last post by Abarca532lasalle - Today at 08:29:25 PM
I have a 1932 lasalle 4 door
For Sale - Cars / 1932 Lasalle 345b
Last post by Abarca532lasalle - Today at 08:05:43 PM
I have an all origina ,32 Lasalle 345b, has a running V-8, 3 Spd. Manual tranny, still 6V positive ground,asking 27K, car is current on registration, clean title.car is located here in Merced, Ca. any questions call 209-777-4455, Thanks.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Valve cover gasket for 196...
Last post by 35-709 - Today at 08:01:48 PM
"Also, plan to torque the bolts to 10 ft. Pounds."

10 ft./lbs. is WAY too much.  Don't do it --- you will always have problems.  The shop manual recommends 28 INCH pounds.  If you don't have a decent inch pound wrench, get one.  You might go a little higher with the thicker gaskets, 40 INCH pounds would be plenty --- no more!  There is no reason to "glue" (Permatex) the valve covers on.  Permatex (or a light film of hi-temp silicone) on the valve cover side (valve cover and its holes MUST be flat) should work fine.  Clean and dry surface on the engine side.  This will allow you to remove the valve covers without ruining the gasket as it will stay in place on the cover and make it easy to reuse --- done properly it will not leak.
It is permissible (shop manual recommended) to re-torque  the valve cover bolts after the engine has been run and cooled off, but again, only to the recommended specs.

General Discussion / Re: 1959 Flat top found in a p...
Last post by Moody - Today at 07:58:50 PM
It's like land, they're not making it anymore. It doesn't have to be value based IMO. If the quarters are good, the rest is not too difficult.
General Discussion / Re: Chrome Cleaning and Polish...
Last post by Moody - Today at 07:51:33 PM
Whatever polish you use, make sure there's no ammonia in the mix. That can strip chrome with repeated use, per a plater I've used.
Quote from: toybox on Today at 01:41:27 PMBruce, Did you know you could heat it in your kitchen oven to about 300 and it will just side on?  Tim
G'day Tim,

But, the heat will probably have a deleterious effect on the sealant.

Bruce. >:D
Wanted:
1932 Lasalle drivers side V-8 head.
General Discussion / Re: 1942 Cadillac
Last post by Mike Baillargeon #15848 - Today at 06:40:16 PM
Check this site out.....doesn't look like alot of 75 series cars were built....there are different 7533s that were built.  Must have been slight differences in these 7533 cars...

https://classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1942&make=Cadillac&series=4491

Mike
General Discussion / 1942 Cadillac
Last post by rockinthehouse2 - Today at 06:26:43 PM
I would like to know how many of these vehicles were built during 1942 as WWW 2 United States stopped all Production. The id tag on the Lh side of cowl shows Styke # 42-7533 Body # 157 Trim # 93 Paint & Top ACC. # 1  Body By Fleetwood
Quote from: Jay Friedman on Yesterday at 09:55:12 PMJim, any chance you could show us a picture of how you set up the cables on your 2 six volt optima batteries wired in parallel?

I've been screwing around with a 1940 V16 and this is how I put two 6 volt Optima batteries in parallel.  (see pictures)

The cranking amps that this generates and the use of an electric fuel pump really takes pressure off the starter....

I've had one of these 6 volt Optima batteries in my 29 roadster for 12 years!...And it was working fine when I switched it out for another one.  I figured the old one was going to die at some point and leave me stranded.

I think the key to long life on any of these batteries is having it hooked up to a Battery Tender to maintain a constant voltage even when the car is not in use.

Here is a parallel and in series website....

https://www.atbatt.com/how-to-wire-6v-batteries-in-series-or-parallel-configuration/

For the custom cables I use these guys....

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-gauge-2-0-awg-marine-grade-battery-cable-with-ends

You tell them what ends you want and what color and what length....all pretty reasonably priced....I use 00 gauge, but you can go thicker if you want...

Mike