News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New to 78 Cadillac Eldorado ownership

Started by manxie, February 18, 2017, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxie

Hi folks. I`m new to this forum and new to Cadillac ownership. I am in the UK, on a small island called the Isle of Man, famous for our TT motorcycle road racing. I have recently purchased (not taken delivery of it yet) a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic. I will be on here for sure picking lots of brains in the future ... if that`s OK? However, the person who sold me the car was checking it over before he releases it to me, and found a couple of lights on the dash (gen and oil) were`nt working. He has checked things out and concludes the bulbs need changing. Can anyone advise me on how to do this please? Many thanks.
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

Welcome to the world of Cadillac ownership.

Now that you have purchased the car, your next purchase, and probably the most important one of your car career is to get the Shop Manual for that car.   Don't bother with the CD version, but go for the actual book one.   Plus, get the Fisher Body Manual as well.   Both of these will become your best friends.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You have an email that requires your attention.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76eldo

Welcome to the CLC message board.
It's not too hard to do. Joe Caristo is the resident expert on these cars.
Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

manxie

Great info fella`s, thank you. I believe two books are coming with the car but not sure what they are yet.

Hi Bruce. I think I`ve done as your requested, sorry about that. If you`d like to check and let me know if anything else is required?

Thanks again fella`s.

Steve.  :)

The Tassie Devil(le)

You have done good.

A mate of mine would love to do the TT, but simply riding around the track is going on one of his "to do" list.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 18, 2017, 05:06:57 PM
   Don't bother with the CD version, but go for the actual book one.   

I find the CDs very helpful.  The pictures on the CD is not a good as the manual, but the convenience of the CD manual makes up for the poor resolution of the pictures.  The pictures are still usable.  With the CD you can print out the pages you need then throw them away after you get them all greasy while working on the car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

manxie

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 18, 2017, 07:33:04 PM
You have done good.

A mate of mine would love to do the TT, but simply riding around the track is going on one of his "to do" list.

Cheers Bruce.

If your mate is a modern bike rider, the TT is the place but can be crazy. If he`s into a more sedate pace, the Classic TT (Manx Grand Prix) is the one to come too. I`m lucky because I drive or ride the "mountain section" of the course every day to get to work!  ;)

manxie

Hi guys. Along with advice on how to replace a couple of warning light bulbs, could anyone tell me where to get cables for the sunroof on the 78 Eldorado? Apparently the previous owner tells me that it opened ok but when closing it, it didn`t lift on the passenger side? He pushed it up into situ. Thanks.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like you have a broken diecast piece that attaches the cable to the sunroof.

I had one break on my '72 Eldorado Coupe, and could never find a replacement.   But, that was way back in the early 1980's, well before the internet.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

manxie

Thanks Bruce. Is there any diagrams or parts lists available for such thing?

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is described in the Shop Manual for '72.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

manxie

Hi fellas. I don`t have the car yet, or any books but when the 78 Eldo arrives, I need to renew a couple of dashboard warning light bulbs. Can anyone tell me how to access them please? I`ve been looking all over the internet and can`t seem to find anything. Many thanks, Steve.

Glen Camenzuli

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard. Changing the bulbs shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I know how to do it on a 1957 or 1958 Cadillac but have no experience with the later models. You can try downloading this Haynes Repair Manual:

http://www.cardiagn.com/general-motors-haynes-repair-manual-covering-cadillac-eldorado-2/

It covers your model and may include instructions on how to change those bulbs. As you don't have the car yet, you have plenty of time to get copies of those workshop and body manuals suggested above. You WILL need them, even if you don't do any of the work on the car yourself. Give them to your mechanic to use while they are working on your car - you will get a better result and they will love you for it.

Cheers,

Glen
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville #13

manxie

Hi Glen,

thanks for the welcome. Sadly I`ve tried downloading the link you gave me but on my computer, it wont work ... I`ll keep trying. If not, at least now I know to purchase the book, along with the others. Thanks again, Steve.  :)

manxie

Hi folks. A Fisher Body book came with my car but it looks like I need to buy these two ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381971817502?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The price seems good for the pair but the seller wants $81-55 to ship to the UK ... seems a bit extreme. Does anyone have these books for sale and be prepared to sell and ship for sensible money?

Thanks, Steve.

EvilLenny83

Hey Congrats on the car, ive worked the last 17 years in restorations shops and am a art teacher, not everyone is learner though reading, so my advice, go on youtube.com watch some videos, if you have a laptop, smart phone or tablet save the links reading is one thing but i've learn audio and visual teaching.

What people dont understand is the car is from the 70's and its dash area which is the most beat on area from sun, think of it like skin the longer its in the sun for years the more brittle it is, now i just took over a job on a 71 GTX RoadRunner all Original numbers match keep in great conditon in a garage it whole life, the owner gave us a couple of things to tweak and make better, one thing he did was give us a new circuit board for the back of gauges. my co worker unscrewed everything and labled all wires a,a b,b 1.1 and so forth they got it all back in and guess what no lights. i asked why did we change the board, and the answer was cause he didnt have lights and cusmtor supplied it. they had 15 hours into a hour paid job, meaning the shop was going to eat this bill. i seen my co workers stressing and asked to see if i can help  him on my lunch break no chrage, we are a small team of 4 guys so we watch out for each other. Found out the made in china board didn't have copper exposed good enough to ground out the holes for the bulbs. i rat tail filed them open putting the copper more on the edge so the bulb spring hold-ins. the best is the co working taking the dash in and out 3 times broke some tabs which a little jb weld fixed it.

So my advice,

Do your simply work first, ie. Check Fuses, look under dash for hanging wires, check main grounds for car and dash
if that still leads u to changing bulbs here are some steps for restoration
battery charger or jump box on your battery cause the time it takes you dont want to drain battery also you cant check wbulbs with dead battery

Make a check off list, this is your baby if you want to do your own job take pride go the distance its yours

1. take pics before and every step of the way,
2. before you remove anything make notes on everything that works and dosen't before you start so you don't go nuts after trying find out something never worked before after your done.
3. watch youtube.com videos on the nearest model to your car just so you can get visual refrenece
4. when you start label with masking tape and sharpie each and every wire, count and number screws,
5. get a test light 12volts test each ground and bulb holder as you go both ways as u take out and put in your new stuff.
6. test your dash before reinstalling it cause it suck to take everything back out for one little thing.

watch out wires are brittle clips and wire attachments go slow with cars these ages

JB qwik Is 5 min expoy not JBWELD thats 24 hour same company different names,
heat srink tubing,
electrical tape
12volt fuse tester

Good Luck - Jay
1941 Caddy Series 61 ... Taking Offers
1970 Corvette
1987 El Camino ... For Sale

1969 Triumph Chopper 750cc
1974 Honda CB750 Original ... For Sale

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: manxie on March 12, 2017, 06:18:49 PM
Hi folks. A Fisher Body book came with my car but it looks like I need to buy these two ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381971817502?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The price seems good for the pair but the seller wants $81-55 to ship to the UK ... seems a bit extreme. Does anyone have these books for sale and be prepared to sell and ship for sensible money?......
The biggest problem these days is that anything posted out of USA has to go by Air Mail.   Surface Parcel Postage is not available, as you can blame eBay for that.   They were blaming too many complaints of missing packages to the time it took to arrive by Ship.   It usually took at least 3 months to get stuff from USA to Australia.   I sent a Manual to a bloke in Queensland, and that cost something like AU$50.00, and that was within Australia.

Even parcels going from USA to Mexico and or Canada have to be sent by Air.   But, within USA itself, they can still send Surface.

Now, as for the postage cost, these books are heavy.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: manxie on March 12, 2017, 06:18:49 PM
The price seems good for the pair but the seller wants $81-55 to ship to the UK ... seems a bit extreme.
Steve, welcome to the world of cheap parts and expensive shipping! Most of the time small parts go into a flat rate box and...$45.00 for shipping!
Sure, most sellers are making money with the "shipping & handling" but if somebody here has the books, the shipping prices will not be much lower. You can also search on line with Faxon literature; they are usually not too expensive with shipping.
Good luck!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101