News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Any 1960 rubber brake line sets not made in china ?

Started by paulkersey, May 13, 2011, 01:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkersey

I Recieved my Raybestos PG plus lines that are made by Sunsong for Brake Part Inc,. in China. Not happy. Going back. I am sure Wagner and Bendix are similar. I missed the notice.
They are SAE J1401 1/8 HL so, I guess thats good.
I saw some nice Goodyear Bulk Hose GY 5055 super low expansion 1/8. wondering if any has found any 13" hoses or sets or anything with a nice high quality stock like this. I have been searching in vain. Looks like custom only.
J. Wicks # 19583

The Tassie Devil(le)

These days, they will all be made in China, and packed in USA.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CEC #20099

Brake Parts Inc, used to be headquartered in Mc Henry, IL, a suburb of Chgo. They also had a mfg plant there. It was RAYBESTOS. Based on the lack of quality of their late model parts, sold by RockAuto, & Carquest, all Chinese, I would be very careful. Recent customer is coming back with their squealing CERAMIC disc pads.
c chleboun #20099

paulkersey

It looks like Carlyle owned Veyance (Goodyear) is the last US hose manufacturer. Due in part to government contracts.
They do not however offer finished aftermarket lines.

I am checking with BrakeQuip for their parts stock origin

J. Wicks # 19583

EAM 17806

I would be very skeptical about "Made In China" automotive parts, especially vital ones like brake and fuel lines, etc. I've had my share of bad quality parts and I always attempt to make sure I get them made in "GOOD OLE USA".  Companies that make most of their parts in the USA are "Standard" and "Moog" and they are of good quality too; a little more cost but well worth it for reliability. BUY AMERICAN!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

paulkersey

I wish those companies made brake parts. Every year that goes by it gets harder to find US stuff depending on what system one is working on.
More niche and custom/low volume parts suppliers to put a job together therefore more $$ and time.
J. Wicks # 19583

Classic

Give these folks a try:

Brake Materials & Parts Inc
800 Sherman Boulevard,
Fort Wayne, IN 46808
(260) 426-3331
WHOLESALE, RETAIL, Specializing In Antique-Vintage-Classic-Obsolete-Unique & Hard-to-Find, BONDING-RIVETING-REBUILDING, Drum-Rotor Machining, custom made brake hoses.

The following from the AROC (Alfa Romeo Owners Club) website http://www.aroc-usa.org/ :

"BrakePartsSTOP@aol.com
Scott & Margaret Bethke are AROC members and sports car owners. Third generaion family-owned business specializing in brakes since 1936. They are also the brake rebuilder for top restorers in the US, on many concours winners with the highest quality parts available. that is highly recognized in their field, they are the brake parts experts. Specializes in custom rebuilding and relining. They will also arc shoes to fit the drums when providing both relining and machining services.  Rebuilding services are based on your individual needs including but not limited to brake bands, brake shoes, calipers, master cylinders, wheel cylinders, custom made brake hoses, and power brake units."

They made some custom brake hoses for me and I'm well satisfied.  They pressure test each hose assembly they make.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

paulkersey

Thanks all,
I will try them. Since my original post, I have made a part time job out of finding American replacement hoses and fittings for my 60.  I challenge anyone to find some.

It appears Goodyear is the last U.S. Bulk Hose manufacturer but I can't find someone who assembles with this. The fittings world looks grim also.
J. Wicks # 19583

paulkersey

Thanks Classic,
My 2 week search for Goodyear hoses are over. Now on to the fittings.
I am saddened by the amount of off-shoring in the recent past creating a false boom of availability in the replacement parts business.
I am sure this covers every system and stamping on our cars. One could easily be driving a Chinese re-creation of a classic these days.
J. Wicks # 19583

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Brake Parts

Brake & Equipment
800+233-4053

Brake Hoses, braided or rubber, we manufacture hoses

Brake Shoes, reline shoes riveted or bonded

Sleeving and Rebuilding in stainless steel.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: paulkersey on May 26, 2011, 06:29:33 PM
I am saddened by the amount of off-shoring in the recent past creating a false boom of availability in the replacement parts business. 
The only reason "Off-shoring" is done is to maximise the profits of the person selling the parts in their home country.

How easy we disregard the low pay and conditions that these workers suffer, so we can enjoy cheap prices.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

76eldo

I would rather pay more and get better quality on something like a brake part.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

But, the suppliers don't give us an option.   They want to make more profit.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Philippe M. Ruel

China can produce quality high-tech devices too, see where most of our cell phones or TV sets come from.
All depends on specification standards and quality controls asked by people having things made in China. But Bruce is right, this is a battle of quality vs. cost.

By the way, there never was such thing as US-produced brake hose material : even back then in the 1950s, it has always been "produced" in Malaysia / Thailand / Vietnam / Brazil, as there are no rubber trees in the US - or Europe :P
1952 60 Special in France.

robert G. smits

Paul, try Bryan Hose and Gasket, 1800 Quality Park Lane, Bryan, TX  979 775 2828.  Ask for Larry.  They manufacture DOT stamped brake hoses.
Bob Smits
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

EAM 17806

Here's a shop I think makes their brake, transmission, fuel, choke, vacuum and other lines including stainless steel braided hoses, etc right here in the USA. Their tel # is 1-800-882-3711 or to order on line it's www.classictube.com. I would call them before I'd order to make sure they're made in the USA.  At least it's a shot to begin buying American which I always try to do.  Call them for their catalog and see what's available.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

paulkersey

I can't remember if I called them or not. I know Inline tube, a local Michigan compant told me " I don't know where our hose comes from" so that was the end of that.

I received my brake hoses and fittings-all US made (GY hose) from Brake Materials and Parts Inc. out of Ft Wayne, Ind.
I haven't applied them yet and do not know the rest of their product line but they are great to deal with. I sent them my old ones to match up.
J. Wicks # 19583

76eldo

I won't talk politics on a car message board, but I will say this...  With so many people out of work, how could our government possibly allow this?  Have they sold us out to this level?  The article is sickening.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)