News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brake lines on '68 Deville

Started by Matt 12861, August 27, 2015, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

I am working on my '68 Deville convertible and ordered a set of prebent brake lines.  The existing lines come out of the hose on the back axle and where the bracket is welded to the axle it  is about a foot or less from the right side, so the line to the right wheel is short and the line to the left wheel is much longer.  The lines I got in the kit are even, as though the hose comes down in the middle of the axle.  Does anyone know which is correct?
Thanks,
Matt
Matt Givler #12861

Scot Minesinger

If your axle is original and unmolested then the new brake lines may be wrong.  It is this way (one line a foot longer than the other) on my 1970 Cadillac, however the rear diff was changed in 1970 to include an inspection plate in back.  The mounting bracket for mine was just a female threaded hole drilled into the casting in an obviously intended place on the casting.  Mine was not welded to casting afterwards. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scot Minesinger

Thinking further on this, the flex line starts atop of frame past center of differential, and if it was joined at center, then the flex rubber brake line to axle would be very long.  Where this terminates (front to back steel brake line and rubber begins), on frame at center of diff or on either side of diff will further indicate what is correct and original.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Matt,
An awfull lot of those prebent line sets seem to be wrong. Measure the distance from the fitting on the differential to each side (to wheel cylinder) then verify the replacement set has the same dimensions before ordering them. In your case get back with your supplier and do just that.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Gene Beaird

According to the Service Manual, the flexible hose off the body connects to a tee right about where the right upper control arm connects to the differential.  That would make the right side about a foot long, and the other side much longer. 

I'd say you're new parts are incorrect.  Sorry.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

savemy67

Hello Matt,

As Greg mentioned, there seems to be an issue with some pre-bent brake line distributors sending incorrect parts.  If you can resolve this with your distributor, then that seems like a logical first approach.  If resolution is problematic, you may want to consider making your own lines if you think your skills are adequate.  For less than $100 you should be able to obtain reasonably good tools to make your own lines.  The task is relatively easy.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Matt 12861

Thanks for the Input.  They said they would make new ones to fit based off my old ones.  As you can see from the picture my old ones are pretty bad.  Does any one have a better set hanging on the garage wall I could borrow or buy cheap to get the new ones made? 
Thanks Matt.
Also, the shop manual does show how they should look- I never thought to look at it!
Matt Givler #12861

Matt 12861

I think I found a solution.  I have a '70 DeVille sitting up on blocks in a garage and thought I would look at those lines to see if they were any better to use for a pattern.  I found the bracket for the tee was in a different spot.  I disconnected all the lines and found they matched the set the vender sent.  So I used the bracket off the '70, drilled and tapped into the same spot the '68 and relocated it.  The photo shows the old lines still connected to the tee, I didn't put the new ones on yet.  Not a perfect solution for some, but at least I can get the car on the road again.   Note, I am intending on painting the underneath.
Matt Givler #12861