News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct size tube for fuel lines

Started by 55 cadi, January 17, 2016, 10:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello all,

I didn't find or over looked it in the Manuel, but what is correct sizing for fuel lines in the engine compartment.

Between the fuel filter , which I assume the same between the pump and filter.

And mine has hose from pump down to just below the engine, and there is a nut on the tube so I know it should be metal, I also assume this should be the same?

Thank you
J
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Steve Passmore

Not necessarily metal. Many are rubber pipes with swaged on metal fittings. You should have a flexible pipe from chassis to engine anyway to neutralize vibration.  Your existing pipes on the chassis should tell you what size you need. 1/4" internal bore I would guess but I'm not familiar with 50's.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Scot Minesinger

Your handle is 55 caddy, but it is always best to list the year and model if possible.  The only reason I have an idea about what you write is that just worked on a 1954.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

55 cadi

Thank you steve, I wasn't sure if the line changed size going to fuel pump or not, and I haven't seen any listing for a fuel line like you describe, and I ask about size because I look at others and the lines look smaller from pump to filter to carb than what is along the frame.

Scot, 
I do have a description of my cadi, it is at bottom of paragraph in the area everyone lists what cars they have. Same spot you have your cars listed. I will put it in the question to make easier

1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

fishnjim

Tubing conforms to OD, not ID.
It would be typical of most cars this era to have a 5/16" (at least) steel line from the tank to the engine compartment followed by a flexible connection between the frame mounted line and the motor/fuel pump to allow for movement and vibration.   
The AC filter to the carb, if equipped, maybe mounted on 1/4" NPT brass pipe/fittings out of the fuel pump.
You should also check the SAE fitting size to match its tube size but people change things over time so be sure they're originals.
You can also double check by looking up to "order" a replacement line and see what size(s) they offer.