News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6 V fuel pump on a 37 series 75

Started by boothandco, January 06, 2016, 10:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boothandco

I just bought a 37 series 75.  As soon as I got it home, it needed a new electric fuel pump.  Airtex E8011 is what failed.  SO I got two more of them.  put one on and about 5 miles later, the fuel pump goes out.   I checked the wiring.  It goes from the fuel pump directly to the ignition switch.... no relay, no fuse. no breaker. 

Any expertise you can lend?   I read one post that said 5 to 8 pounds of pressure (which the 8011 has) is too much for the car.  Could that have something to do with it failing so soon, or that the car starts fine but after a few minutes it sounds like it is running rich.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chad B>
Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
Reformed Lincoln 4 door convertible owner.
boothandco@sisna.com

TJ Hopland

Do you still have the mechanical pump plumbed in?

What is there for filters?

Where is the electric pump mounted?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Ingler #7799

Most Airtex 6 volt pump were made to run on either positive or negative ground. I think your 37 is positive ground car. I would check the directions for the Airtex pump and see if the pump on your car is wired in accordance with the manufacture`s directions. Usually the red wire is the power wire and the black is ground on a negative system. On a positive ground car the red wire would be the ground wire and the back the power wire. Just a thought as the Airtex pump is a reliable pump and should not fail in 5 miles.  Bill

boothandco

T.J.  in answer to your questions, the mechanical is still plumbed, but it does not work  The airtex comes with a filter, but it is not very large,  finally, the pump is mounted on the frame rail just behind  the driver door.  The cast is positive ground and it was weird appropriately. 

I have read on the forum some differing of opinion about the pump pressure. The 8011 pumps at 5 to 8 pounds.  Some feel that the 8092 that pumps at 2.5 to 4 is better.  Could that be part of the problem?
Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
boothandco@sisna.com

Stinson

Hello Chad, see attached and call Bill.
Ty
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

I have used the Carter Rotary pump on my 6 Volt and 12 volt Cads and Lasalle.  I am not a fan of these pumps. If you put an Airtex on instead you don't have to worry about plumbing around the pump since the Airtex lets that gas flow though without restriction/back pressure like the carter.

My opinion

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

T.S.Kennedy

External electric fuel pumps are pretty sensitive to ground. Lots of hotrodders have this exact same problem - getting down the road and then it dies. Some people wire the ground to the frame by the pump, but if you really want to rule out a ground issue, extend the ground all the way back to the negative batter post. You could try rebuilding your mechanical with a kit too. I don't personally like external pumps - never had luck with the cheaper ones either. 

http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19ca1cafupur.html

boothandco

Thanks for all the advice.  It is working and my fingers are crossed.
Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
boothandco@sisna.com