News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why Doesn't CLC Host A Tent At Spring Carlisle Like In Hershey?

Started by Jon S, March 04, 2014, 02:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Lots of us Cadillac/LaSalle folks go to the Spring Carlisle Show - Would be a nice idea?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Are you volunteering Jon?  It only takes one person to get things rolling :D
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

You'll be rather busy.  And you'll have to pitch the tent, too.  And the spaces aren't free, either...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jon

A Cadillac & LaSalle Club tent at Carlisle is a great idea.

The responders are correct but with proper planning it is possible.

I suggest that you contact:
(1) Contact Lars Kneller
(2) Rob Robison

These individuals have the authority and experience to advise you on how to proceed.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

rhr1931cad

ROBERT ROSENWASSER MD,MBA,FACS

Walter Youshock

SEEING it happen is one thing.  MAKING it happen is what really matters.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I was a former annual visitor to Spring Carlisle for over 20 years.  I quit going so because
I began to notice that the show was the show was trending away from the pure car parts
market to more of a flea market.  For example, there were a number of well established Cadillac vendors that formerly showed up every year -- people like Honest John, Dennis Ackerman,
F.E.N, just to name A few.  That last time I visited, none were there.

So, putting up a Cadillac tent at this affair may not be worth the effort.  The parts dealers that
are left seem to be much catering more to the muscle car crowd (Mustangs, MOPARS, etc.) than
they were in previous years.

My last visit showed very few Cadillac parts vendors worth visiting, and that was in 2008.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jon S

I've been going every year for over 25 years and find Cadillac parts buried all over the place (if you look).  There are also 2 - 3 Cadillac-specific vendors there.  I find it to be more focused on the 1950's thru 1980's as opposed to Hershey which is still geared for pre-1950's.  Anyway, I view Spring Carlisle as a premier show if the weather is clear and an enjoyable way to spend a day.  Also, unlike Hershey, Saturday has all of the vendors plus the car corral.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jon S on March 04, 2014, 02:37:35 PM
Lots of us Cadillac/LaSalle folks go to the Spring Carlisle Show - Would be a nice idea?

It would be a nice idea but just a couple of thoughts - 

The main purpose of a CLC sponsored tent is to promote CLC visibility & ultimately recruit new CLC members.

Since the CLC already has a strong presence in the vicinity of Carlisle, ie: Hershey, etc, there may be some question whether further visibility would be cost effective in another venue so proximate to the others. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

Quote from: 49er on March 11, 2014, 04:49:16 PM
I should clarfy. I think it was 82 maybe 83 . Tons of dust and mud to off the gravel roads. No parking, bad parking over priced parking. Clogged traffic all the way back to 81. Both north and south and off the turnpike too. Swore I'd never go back and I havnt.

Parking is plentiful and free on-street parking. If you go on 81 to the College Street Exit, there is no traffic almost to the front gate. Most people don't know about this Exit.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

C.R. Patton II

Hello Dan and Jon

There have been some very good points made on this topic thus far. Here is different perspective with the future in mind.

Just like Hershey is a prewar utopian picnic for me, Carlisle is special for newer cars and a younger demographic. As the 70's, 80's, and nineties Cadillacs become more popular with Generation X/Y, these vehicles will become attractive and valuable. The Cadillac & LaSalle Club will be a magnet for future Cadillac owners at Carlisle. The young CLC members will take the initiative to establish a global presence at this meet. We will attract a younger demographic to strive as a hobby and a club. The Standard of the World will excel.

Of course an old  like me won't be around but the CLC will.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

brian faull clc#25881

I know I'm a little late responding here. Although there are not lots of Cadillac specific vendors at Carlisle there are some. Myself being one of them. I set up Spring and Fall and bring as many Cadillac parts as I can carry. Usually more than I can carry. I don't know what Carlisle was like in 1982 because I was still in Pampers. But any younger people interested in old Cadillacs or old cars in general are always looking for an older hobbyist as a mentor. This is important to remember when dealing with younger generations. I agree lots of younger people are not into this hobby the same way that we may be, but there are a lot of people who want to be and are interested. Sometimes all it takes is an older guy giving them some advice, a hand on a project, or a break on some parts they can't afford to pay retail for. I know as a teenager I learned a lot from my friends dad and started working with him on his project cars and eventually got my first old car and kept working on them and making better buys and getting better cars. But if I had not had him to guide me. I may not have ever had the opportunity to get into this hobby the way I am now. I started selling Cadillac parts out of necessity to be able to afford parts for my own car and it turned from a hobby into a business. I also have a shop where I do restoration and repair work. And although lots of guys my age can't change their own tire, I can fix anything with 4 wheels and the reason is someone gave me the opportunity to learn a skill and have a worthwhile hobby. So next time you see a younger guy with a car that's not quite there or not the way you like it. You need to remember that may be the best they can do and if they stay motivated they will eventually get better. Another reason you see less vendors is a lot of them are getting older, and hauling all those parts around is a lot of work. The tent at Carlisle would be nice but the reason I joined was that an older member said hey you have an old Cadillac lets talk about it, then asked are you in the CLC? And he explained the benefits of the club to me and I joined. So tent or no tent we can all be Stewards of the club and help point people who are unfamiliar in the right direction. This hobby is one of the best you can have and we all get the opportunity to make a lot of friends and help preserve some history along the way. I hope to see some of you at Carlisle or Hershey. Sincerely, Brian Faull.
brian faull clc#25881

Jeff Wilk

This may be a crazy idea, but follow me here with the basic rules of advertising, repeat exposure to a message is key, as is product placement.

So in the interests of club awareness and membership growth why not offer some form of modest compensation to Cadillac vendors who display at venues like Carlisle and Hershey if they also agree to display the CLC Banner and membership information at their flea market stations?  This would certainly increase club exposure AND may actually encourage guys like Brian to keep at it in the wind and rain basically living outside for a couple of weeks a month at these shows while frying food stored in coolers on a camping stove for days on end.

Help the Club help the vendors who help the people who keep the hobby alive, and oh yes, our car values from deteriorating! 

Crazy idea or........?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

druby

My father Henry Ruby and I were Cadillac vendors at Carlise for many years thru the 70's thru the 90's, some of the others, Dennis Acherman, Fred Stone, John Brusheti, Glenn Cole, Jay Brown, Elwood Brown and a few other. We had 5 spaces up on the "P" row along the fence, if you were into Cadillacs or needed a part for your Cadillac, then you knew us well during those years, we had many customers from all over the world buy from us because my father and I never believed in "jacking" someone over a part. My fathert always taught me how to be fair and make a buck at the same time, many times, we'd throw in a part or two with your purchase. Then came along Ebay and the internet, it slowly took it toll on us and most Cadillac vendors. Then Cadillac vendors got more into reproducing parts, all this takes a toll on vendors setting up spaces for 4 days of haggling with people over prices so we decided to sell our space and most of our parts to other vendors. We really enjoyed each and every customer we had and I still hear from many of them. My father has since passed away, Fathers Day 2012 and I still carry the torch he lit many years ago. I am now Assistant Director of the CLC Potomac Region here in Washington DC were we hold some of the finest shows at our local dealership, equal to a Grand National. Brians right, there is a new generation out there with different visions then we may have had, give them a hand and help when you can. Peace to all !!
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood