News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

One year with my 59

Started by INTMD8, April 19, 2014, 02:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

It was exactly one year ago I noticed a 59 Convertible "garage find" posted here on this forum. When I went to buy the car I learned that I was buying it from the son of the original owner. He remembered riding around in the car, sitting on the front arm rest as a small child as his father drove. The heavily worn ignition key has the initial of his mothers first name, Lorraine.

It was parked since early 1978, coincidentally the same time I was born. Funny to think the car was sitting inside of a garage for my entire life until the day I came to pull it out and revive it.

Over the course of the last year I removed the engine and had it rebuilt by a friend, along with the trans and driveshaft which was also rebuilt.  New set of tires (no WWW yet!), new brakes, rear wheel bearings, flushed out the top motor, polished the paint that remains, installed a rear window and lubed the speedometer cable.

I've been driving the car and it is awesome! What a great car to cruise around in. After 350 miles on the new engine it's averaging a little over 13mpg in mixed driving. I had her on the highway yesterday and she was cruising along at 80mph smooth as can be. 

I also picked up a Milan straw hat from Optimo so I don't sunburn the top of my head this summer  8)

At this point I'm not even sure if I will restore the car or just continue to drive it as-is. It's nice not having a panic attack if it looks like rain or if someone parked to close.

Anyway, that's my story. Here's a few pics as found and current day. I'm looking forward to this driving season!!

gary griffin

Jim,  I remember this car well when it was discussed many times on this forum. It is a beauty and should be conserved as it is in my humble opinion!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Dan LeBlanc

Jim.

The car looks fantastic. I'd leave it as is.

Appears as if we are the same age.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

It looks great as-is.  Such a conversation piece!  Drive it and leave it as is.  Once you pull it apart to restore it, say goodbye to having any fun with the car for 5 years.

What a find!  You should be proud.

Enjoy,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

Agreed, beauty as-is.  Fix things first-rate when you need to, otherwise, that's a sweet survivor. 

While not exhibiting the initials of my Grandmother's name, the ignition key for our Calais is equally well-worn.  Enjoy!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Ken Perry

Nice to hear that it's a keeper and it's back on the road! If it was mine,I would drill the holes and put the side trim back on,but that's just me. Looks good ! What a score!!! Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Thule

i've had much fun following the thread.

yea, the survivor look is kinda nice.
Ivar Markusson.  icelandic cadillac club (part of CLC)
73 Eldorado coupe.

INTMD8

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.  I took my girlfriend for a ride in it today, her first time in the car.

After the initial surprise of not having seat belts (which I might add) she absolutely loved it and said it felt like we were floating on a cloud.

I would like to find and re-install the side trim, just need to set some funds aside as I've found those parts are rather expensive.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jim

Smart decision of a nice acquisition!  Enjoy.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

austingta

Leave it as it is. They are only original once!

INTMD8

Thanks guys.   I have over 1000 miles on it now.

A few observations.

Acceleration is actually quite a bit stronger than I expected for a car of this weight.

I notice a bit of chassis/body flex over larger bumps. May help to replace the ancient shocks. 

The car is a blast to drive! No problems at all with driving in heavy/fast traffic. Engine, trans, steering, brakes are all great.

Every time I put the top and windows down I laugh that this thing has been sitting for decades and yet everything works great.  Even in it's somewhat shabby state I'm continually impressed with how good of a car they had built in 59.  I would drive it every day if it pulled down a bit better mileage.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: INTMD8 on May 09, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
Thanks guys.   I have over 1000 miles on it now.

A few observations.

Acceleration is actually quite a bit stronger than I expected for a car of this weight.

I notice a bit of chassis/body flex over larger bumps. May help to replace the ancient shocks. 

The car is a blast to drive! No problems at all with driving in heavy/fast traffic. Engine, trans, steering, brakes are all great.

Every time I put the top and windows down I laugh that this thing has been sitting for decades and yet everything works great.  Even in it's somewhat shabby state I'm continually impressed with how good of a car they had built in 59.  I would drive it every day if it pulled down a bit better mileage.

It's funny you should say that.

Today, it's hard to tell the difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac, but back in the day, that's another story.

I took the 63 Impala out of storage on Monday.  After driving the Fleetwood for a bit, the Chevy feels like what you would expect in a bare bones subcompact today and the 61 Fleetwood light years ahead of it.

Guess that's what made a Cadillac a Cadillac and a Chevy a Chevy.  My 62 Cadillac was pieced together and felt a lot like the Impala.  Now that I have a good Cadillac and a good Chevy for comparison, the difference are glaringly obvious.

NOW I GET IT!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Blade

Jim: congrats, looking nice. I really can't believe it has been a year already, seems like you just got it a few months ago!

Hope to see you on a meeting and perhaps drive together to a diner for a lunch (just need to finish my old lady).

Jon S

Agree with all the comments, above . . . ENJOY and appreciate!  Very nice original - glad it's back on the road and has a caring owner!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The car has certainly come a long way.

No matter how many times you've done it before, it is always amazing to see the results that can be gotten with a little time, patience and elbow grease used with the right reconditioning materials. 

Also impressive to see is original trunk material still in nice condition - so many have been torn out long ago.

Jim - I may have a source for some (or most) of the body side trim - if you are interested.

Again, well done. Enjoy.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

INTMD8

Dan, I've driven similar year x-frame Chevy's and notice a big difference too.

Tibor- Of course! Making any progress?

Jon, thanks.

Eric, I will need the trim at some point. I have the 2 long pieces for the 1/4's but I'm missing the rest. Not sure if the car is even straight enough to install it.

Thanks George,  it's presentable but looks a bit nicer in photo's.  Whatever rust it has is just surface, the structure isn't compromised. If I do restore it one day the chrome will have to be done as it has some pitting.

Blade

Jim: Yeah, finally she is getting out of hibernation from a long cold winter - and still cold spring yet - but just recently started to work on it again, mostly still cleaning it, getting the surface rust and the 25 years oxydization from the paint and chrome. In the mean time I have also been collecting some of the missing parts (finding out how deep of a pocket you need).

INTMD8

Update this to 6 years with my 59.   

Finally reset the odometer  ;D

https://youtu.be/OGLpqOPiJcI

signart

Don't do a restoration. Drive it, it will tell you what it needs, then give it to her. Install some premium gas shocks and it will lose a thousand pounds.
Art D. Woody

INTMD8

Hi Art, yeah maybe I should have started a new thread.  I did end up putting shocks/ball joints/tires/etc on it.

Drives great  ;D