News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

any info on this girl?

Started by Spyder, April 19, 2014, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder

Hello, I'm new to the forum.  I found this Lasalle,  I think it's a 1939??  It has rusted out floors and trunk. has complete drive train.  trashed interior but all there. Any info would be appreciated.  What's it worth.  Is it worth trying to save?  Is it too rough, etc!!  Sad too see it rotting away.  Thanks!

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Spyder,
That is a VERY rare 39 LaSalle 2 door sedan. Less than 1000 made. it's worth saving. Can you post a pic of the aluminum body plate on the cowl?  I'm sure others will comment.
Good Luck, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

Bob, Glad you took the time to count the doors. I was about to kiss it off as another too far gone sedan. Definately a rare bird.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

C.R. Patton II

Hello Spyder

Welcome to the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forum.

As Bob and Harry have indicated your question stems from a 1939 LaSalle 5011:
(1) 977 produced
(2) 2014 CLC International Directory 2 listed
(3) Estimated value in number 1 condition $47k

On a scale of one to six with 1 as perfect, the girl you displayed is a 6.  I am unaware of your skill or knowledge level.  This restoration would not be inexpensive.  I would suggest that you join our CLC national organization and a local region near your residence to enjoy the full benefits of membership.  We WILL guide you through to success.

THIS LASALLE IS WORTH SAVING.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Spyder

Thanks for all the replies.

CR what would be a fair price to purchase her as she is now?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Spyder,
Before we start giving prices, what does he want for it? Then... let us comment on that. Fair enough?
How about some pics of the front seat,  floor pan, etc. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Spyder

Bob is the voice of vast experience.  Before you go fishing what is the size of the fish.  Then determine the size of the net.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Spyder

The seller is asking me to make an offer.  They are not publishing a sale price. That's why I am asking for suggestions.  As for the floor pans and seats they are trashed.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Spyder

I understand your dilemma.

Evaluating the pictures I would say 0-$3k.  Please call me so I can assist further 313-804-0276.

gary griffin

This could be a great find due to the rarity of the 2 door sedan.  The parts that are common to other years should be no real problem as there are parts cars out there. The same with the mechanical items.  Make a list of the 2 door only items as they will be your challenge to restore in addition  to all of the normal things to check out.

Remember that rarity does not always mean a lot of increased value.

A restoration of this complexity will  be costly, depending on your abilities to do your own work and have the time to do so.  A professional would take hundreds of hours at $??? per hour.  Depending on your experience and abilities you would probably take longer.

If you do it decide to dedicate the time and resources to do it right. It would be a wonderful car to own and drive but don't go into this expecting to make a profit, to do that is quite rare.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Spyder

Let's forget a complete restoration at the moment. Is it rare enough to buy it, gut the rotted stuff off  it and get it out of the environment so it does not deteriorate anymore. Then do little stuff at a time.

Steve Passmore

I'm afraid theres no such thing as a little bit at a time when it comes to replacing the entire floor pan. I have restored 4 cars in my time that I consider to be in the same condition as this la Salle and they are a mammoth task. Mine have all been convertibles with at least some good residual value.    As Art said, not for the faint hearted or the poor of pocket.

Its worth saving yes, but as what? and at what price?  You will need a another car as a doner so theres more expense. 
As the seller probably doesn't know the rarity of it go in at  $500, its worth that as spares but theres a huge job awaiting you and as Gary said rarity does not mean desirability or value. You will never see your money back when this car is fully restored, but if you love it for what it is and don't worry about the cost, go for it.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Spyder

I didn't mean that the floor was a little thing I meant do one project at a time. I think I can buy it for 1600. Still unsure what to do.

gary griffin

First analyze your reasons to buy it.  Then calculate the budget and time it will take to get it right. Then triple one of the estimates and double the other and you may be close to the real costs.  It is easy for me as I am retired and the cars keep me out of trouble. As th their value that will be my families worry after I quit driving them as I hope to be driving them the rest of my life.

If you can afford the time and the money without ruining your family life and want this particular car go for it.  If you just want  a neat car there are partially restored cars always available that a lot of work has been done and lots of parts and the owner is no longer able or interested in finishing that would be a better buy than this one.  Sometimes it is better to spend twice as much to get 10 times as much value.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

blazin

If you can buy it for just above scrap price, tuck it in your garage and work away at it. Go for it. If you expect to buy it, restore it and be on the +..... walk away.
James Seeley 1962 series 62 coupe, 1962 eldorado convertible

Glen

I’m with blazin on this.  Do not expect to make money on this car.  It is a project to keep you off the streets as one poster put it.  Something to occupy your time.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Wilk

To me you already have the answer but dont like it. If adter all of this advice you are still asking the question, that confirms for me that you do not have first hand experience with restorations like this. IF you dont have the experience THIS is NOT the car to learn on unless you have unlimited funds. It sounds like you have the passion for the hobby but need a better car to start with. Just for fun go on ebay search under Cadillac Cars (1930-1965) or any years and then sort by price from low to high.  You may be amazed what is out there in far far far better shape for a little more money up front.

In this hobby buy the most complete and best condition car yiu can and work from there. And its an inverse equation....... The more experience you have the worse car you can afford. Just my two cents........that cost me $10,000s and $10,000s to learn!
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

Like everyone said, this car can be brought back to life, just how badly do you want to get there.

I see this car as the ideal car for someone who already has one, has some missing parts, and needs a donor.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Sometimes saving a car means letting parts of it live on in other cars.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In my view, this car squarely fits the definition of a #6 or "parts car": "Weathered, damaged and/or stripped to the point of primarily being useful for parts".

Agreed with the others who have said extreme rarity does not necessarily translate to valuable.

Keep in mind that open cars typically command ~ 2x that of closed and that restoration costs are generally higher for a closed car than open.

I feel you could be looking closer to $100K for a full blown restoration here for a car that would optimistically be worth 1/2 that when finished.

I agree with Art - this puppy is one to be left in peace.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Spyder

I guess it comes down to this. I can't bare to let it just rot away.