News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67-68 Eldorado front brake discs

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 11, 2009, 04:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Hi all!
It seems that nobody has the '67-68 Eldorado front brake discs for sale. Kanter is listing them, but they don't have them. I suppose they are not reproduced. What are you doing when your discs are worn? Throw the car away or adapt something more recent?
Thank you for your suggestions!
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

I recently met a man with a 67 at a car show that said his had brakes off a 69.  He was not clear on the details because he had it done several years ago but he said when he had it done it was much cheaper than 'if' his mechanic was able to find the original disc parts.  Talking with other cad guys at the show we were all thinking that the 69-78's were all likely the same and as far as we could tell from looking under cars at the show the control arms looked the same so it may be a bolt on swap.  There was however only that one 67 at the show so we did not have a for sure stock one to compare to.  We are just guessing that the control arms were not changed because that would have likely more expensive.  From what I could see under a 66 toro the arms also looked to be the same but the toro was parked in longer grass so it was hard to see under.

I think 'Ted In Olympia' (who parts out primarily 71-78 eldos) has had a 67, perhaps he still has the 67 and can compare or someone with a parts manual can look at the part numbers of the control arms and balljoints between those years.   Im sure Ted can sell you the complete knuckle/ hub assemblies if it does turn out to be an easy swap.   Next problem will be getting the 69-78 parts, so far no problem but with their age and the current economy you have to wonder how long they are still going to be made.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

anthony20485

I remember seeing in Hemmings someone was making them. Another benefit to changing the knuckles is that bearings are available and much cheaper than the 67-68's if you can even find one
1966 DeVille
1968 Eldorado
1969 Eldorado

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the inputs. Steering knuckles are specific 67 & 68; then are identical from 69 to 75 (and maybe further). The suspension arms are identical from 67 to 70, upper and lower. Therefore, a swap with the knuckle and caliper would solve the problem. However, for Europe, an heavy task.
Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

Everything else is the same thru 78 so I would assume those are also.   The knuckle and hub are not that heavy but if you then also need caliper and rotor it does add up weight wise.  Remember Toronados are also the same but I dont imagine there are many of those over there either. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Ted in Olympia WA

My 67 is long gone but on that car did have later disc brakes on it so it is possible.  I guess my main advice is to change the pads often and use standard pads so the disc do not wear out.

I don't know what was done to convert it but I assume that they just replace uppers and lowers from a later Eldorado.

I looked at the exchanged manual (mine goes back to 70 but if 70 is the same as earlier it also lists this).  Frame is the same from 68-70 and I assume the 67 is the same except for motor mounts since it's a different engine.  The spindles are the same 69-70 and then from 71-78.  The upper and lower control arms are same from 67-70 and then from 71-78.  Rotor is same from 69-78.  Caliper is same from 69-73 and then from 74-78 (I would have guessed 69-78).  As far as I know axles are the same from 67-78.

So based on this I think you will have to find a 69-70 to get the spindles (steering knuckles) and then you can get brakes parts new for any Eldo after that.  May be just as much trouble as finding the stock 67 parts. 

I know of two 67 parts cars down in SW Washington and one has disc brakes.  The problem is that my 67 parts did not sell that well, they do not have titles, and I would have to make two trips at 100 miles one way.  I think about them often but I really can't justify bringing them home.  I just went by there about 2 weeks ago and they are still there.  They do temp me.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Glen

If I recall correctly the upper and lower control arms are the same from ’67 to 78.  To change the ’67 or ‘68 to a later brake system you need to change the knuckles and possibly the ball joints.  I remember there is an issue with two different size ball joints.  This is the taper that goes into the knuckle.  Once that is done you can than use the single piston caliper and the later wheel bearings. 

After 300,000 miles on the 68 ELDO I’m still not ready to make that conversion.  I change brake pads often and I found a way to re-grease the wheel bearings so they are OK as well. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Glen, 300'000 miles on the same discs? The way you are driving is definitively different than the one we do in Europe!
Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

The GMC RV people have come up with a way to put a grease fitting on the front bearings.  I think you can send the knuckles to them or order a jig to drill it yourself.   They also have some sort of a larger brake upgrade but I never looked close at it because I assumed it wold not fit in the wheels on the cars.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

wm link

I have a pair of  used spindle/hub & bearing assemblies from a 67 factory disc car, $150 each side....also have the axle shafts $150 each...sorry, already sold the discs and brake calipers.

wm link

Quote from: wm link on July 12, 2009, 12:43:26 PM
CORRECTION: I have a pair of  used ROTOR/spindle/hub & bearing assemblies from a 67 factory disc car, $250 each side....also have the axle shafts $150 each...sorry, already sold the brake calipers.

Glen

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on July 12, 2009, 05:52:13 AM
Glen, 300'000 miles on the same discs? The way you are driving is definitively different than the one we do in Europe!
Roger

I did change the left rotor because it got some deep groves.  But I don’t let the brokechanics cut the rotors.  They last a lot longer that way. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104