News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ty's V-12 rebuild is completed and is SOLD 4/1/2021

Started by Stinson, August 05, 2010, 10:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Stinson

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Sixth and last for today
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Okay, the engine is now in the car. The following 21 photos are a walkaround from the Driver's side and all around. Hope they are interesting/helpful to you. Note that I'm changing the original carbs out and replacing them with Zeniths. Because I plan to drive the car from Maryland to California now that I have retired. That has been the plan and why I'm spending so much MONEY on this rebuild. Zeniths will not leak, and I can tune them anytime due to elevation changes along the way without taking them off to change the jets. My original functional Detroits are for sale for any of you wanting to go back to original. In the past year these carbs have been sold from $2,700 to $3,200 a pair, in verious conditions. I'm asking $2,200.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Three more
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

next
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

others
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Last for now
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ty,

You are going to have a wonderful cruise when the time comes, but, make sure you finish it completely, as I know from experience, once one starts to drive a car with a coupe of jobs to finish, they seem to never get quite finished. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Stinson

missing
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

And this was the beginning shot.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Roger Zimmermann

Very nice engine; they were very stylish then. I hope that it will run as well as it's good looking!

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Stinson

Thanks Roger.
I just received a phone call this morning that the engine had been started, and is now running smoothly at 400 rpm. Can't wait to see it this Sunday or so. Will show photos and hopefully a sound bite if I can figure out how to post it here.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

John Tozer #7946

Hi Ty,

Car is looking great! Your photos show just what a huge achievement it was to get the 12's to fit into the 75 series. No mean feat!

I notice you have sourced a solution to the trunk floor and that you have "sectioned" your old one out right about where I have had to cut mine out. I would love to see some photos once your trunk floor goes back in again.

I have finally had some progress on my "8" re-build after sleeving one cylinder and repairing the crack to the block. It is due back in a couple of weeks when I have to start again on the crankshaft because it is trashed. Luckily I have two other engines!

Keep it up (and don't worry too much about the kids College fund - my girls still say they love me anyway!),

John Tozer

Stinson

Hello John,
It is so good to hear from you. Our three kids have finished college and started their careers. I did work an extra year to gather funds to finish the car, and I have been retired since July 1st. Remember, six years ago I was worried about purchasing the car with kids starting college? I will have photos of the finished trunk floorpan installed in about two weeks. Good luck with progress on your engine.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

John Tozer #7946

Ty,

You have got the balance just about right - worked an extra five years to put your kids through college and then an extra year for your car! Now you should have no pangs of conscience about spending like all get out! If needs to be done, just do it!

I'm still 2 1/2 years away from your 1 July decision but I sure am planning for it. Having seen my retirement funding head for the toilet two years ago (it's just beginning to recover) and with the two girls still studying I am not quite where you are.

Enjoy!

John Tozer

The Tassie Devil(le)

It isn't "Retirement", it is "Getting a Life", and getting a life is GOOD.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Stinson

Thanks John and Bruce,
I'm well on my way to 72 years of age, so I guess you are right. Time to get a life of our own (with my wife). The three kids are gone, my financial obligations are finished, and I'm too deep in the car now to stop restoration. I will finish it even though I'm approaching its book value. It will be there with the new glass installed and a paint job. Then a long and slow drive cross country will make it all worth every penny. Real retirement having a fine Cadillac to drive! And some CLC car shows along the way I hope. Ha, ha.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Hello, it will be next week before I can get back to see the final work done to the engine. So, I thought I would go back in time and show you where I started with the brake system. Ended up I had to purchase all new brake cylinders as well as have the master cylinder rebuilt. These next 12 photos will show progress on the brake system and the wheels. I had started by sanding down the brake housing and using white primer. But it looked like a short cut so I took all four of the brake housing units off the car and sanded them down to bare metal with a wire brush on an electric drill. Then I treated each unit with liquid rust remover leaving a gray etched finish to the bare metal (all parts large and small) which served as a good base for PM Industries Master Series Chassis Coating. The wheels were sandblasted and coated with the same PM Master Series Coating with foam brushes for a spray-on-like finish.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330