News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Positraction: 1971-76

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, September 07, 2010, 11:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Does anyone out there know who the manufacturer of the "non serivicable" positraction was that was used in 71-76?  Are there any replacements available? Wjhere?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bill henry

I think they were made by Eaton.
Bill Henry

TJ Hopland

I think I also read Eaton somewhere also.   Never seen anyone offering replacements or repairs.    I had a car with one one time but it didnt work anymore.  Does not seem like it was a common option.   Mine was in a 76 EFI Deville.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EAM 17806

HI GANG!  How can we know if our 71- 76 Cadillac Coupe de Villes or Eldorados have this positraction in our cars?  If anyone knows how to tell we would appreciate the info.  THANKS!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

It was never an option for a FWD Eldorado so that one is easy.  I read somewhere that one of the GMC RV (used the Toronado drive line) places has recently came out with a limited slip.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bill henry

my 76 had posi but I never had it apart so I dont know what kind it was
Bill Henry

35-709

In the old days we could jack up both rear wheels and turn one by hand, if the opposite wheel turned the same way then it was a limited slip rear end (positraction, Safe-T-Track, whatever), if the opposite wheel turned the opposite way it was not limited slip.  Do not know if that still would work on '70s rears or not.  The limited slips also came with a tag, sometimes around the fill plug or under a bolt stating it required special diff. lube because it was limited slip.  If you know the code it should be stamped on the firewall tag.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Geoff,
The first part of your answer is correct. However, positraction info was NEVER on the cowl tag.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

35-709

Thank you, Bob --- what I get for making as assumption!   ;D
Geoff N.

EAM 17806

GEOFF!  If it never was on the cowl tag then where else was it if any where?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Typically if a car has positraction it would be indicated on the build sheet and by the number stamped on the tag /pad on the differential housing.
My original question is "does anyone have any information as to the availability or existence of replacement positraction units for 71-76 RWD full size cadillacs"
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Otto Skorzeny

This place sells rebuild parts for Eaton positraction for GM applications.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/positraction/eaton_positraction_limited_slip.html

They also sell positraction units for front wheel drive cars including Eldorado.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/positraction/gm_front_wheel_drive_positraction.html
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

EAM 17806

GEOFF! The way you have described how to check if a 71-76 Caddy has positraction or not is the only way we can tell if it had been installed, per DRIVETRAIN.COM via my telephone call to them.  EAM
Ev Marabian

Guys,
Before I asked the question I ran myself ragged going to the normal sources for positraction/lockers/etc.  If in fact they were aware of a limited slip for Cadillacs (71-76) their information was "It was a corporate only rear end and unit".
What I am asking is if anyone out there has actually worked on one of these differentials successfully and if so how did they do it?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

35-709

EAM!  It is in your Shop Manual!

According to my '74 shop manual the gear ratios are stamped into the differential, IF the car is equipped with "Controlled Differential", as Cadillac calls it, the gear ratio number is preceded by the letter "G".  Location?  The numbers are stamped to the left of the filler plug between two bolts.  Ratios?  If  you have a 2.93-1 ratio the number will be 3, if you have a 2.73-1 the number will be 8, if you have a 3.15-1 the number will be 5 .  As I mentioned if the car is equipped with a Controlled Differential, these numbers will be preceded by a G.  This is from the 1974 manual, page 4-26!

Geoff N.

Dave Shepherd

To this day G designates a locking or posi diff. I think the issue with the ass'y may be the fact that the ring grear is riveted to the diff case, maybe not on the later cars. Back then the diffs were not repairable in the field, they were supplied as remans from Cadillac.

Dave,
Did anyone try and unrivit, repair and re rivit the assembly successfully?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

EAM 17806

GEOFF!  According to the 1976 Cadillac shop manual it is just as you stated above also.  Cadillac refers to these as 'CONTROLLED DIFFERENTIAL" not Positraction at least for years 1971-1976. The manual also states: "The Controlled Differential gear case is serviced only as a complete assembly". All this information is on Page 4-46 of the Shop Manual for 1976. Here is a good explanation from the manual just what the Controlled Differential does:  "The basic advantage of the optional Controlled Differential over the standard differential is that the major driving force is always directed to the wheel having the greater traction.  The unit is not a positive lock type. It will slip before an excessive amount of torque is directed to one rear wheel". Well I guess that settles any thoughts we had concerning how this type of Controlled Differential works on these years.  HAPPY MOTORING!  EAM
Ev Marabian

35-709

Positraction was Chevrolet's term for it, Safe-T-Track was Pontiac's term, I am not familiar with what Olds or Buick called their limited slips. 

The good old shop manual is where I go first.
Geoff

Dave Shepherd

I never saw it done in the field, you could not get parts for that type gear set.