News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why do you love your Caddy?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, March 04, 2016, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillac ken on March 08, 2016, 12:24:04 PM
... except for the knobs that fall off, the handles that break, the A/C system failures, the plastic (instead of bronze) bushings that rapidly deteriorate and fall apart.

Things like what you describe may happen with some cars but, again, better average reliability and durability, longer/better warranties, etc. have kept cars on the road much longer and with many more miles than decades ago.   Not necessarily with the same owner (that 11 year old car may be on its second, third or more owner) but longer as viable daily drivers.  Cars on average were "disposed of" at much faster rates in the past.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on March 08, 2016, 11:09:00 PM
I think if a person simply maintained an old 40's-70's Cadillac and kept it in tip top shape, I don't think there was any reason why they couldn't last way over 100,000 miles. Cadillac engineering was the best of the best at the time.

Perhaps but the reality was a bit different.  Growing up in the 1970s/80s I recall plenty of ads for relatively new (5-10 years old or older), relatively low mileage Cadillacs being offered as "back lot specials", "mechanic's specials", etc.   Old archived newspapers from those decades and especially before showed a lot of the same.  Cars, including Cadillacs, whether it was due to rust or mechanical issues typically didn't last as long and were parked or junked at a faster rater than modern cars today.

cadillacmike68

I have an article from Colleectible Automobile Oct 2003 on the 1967-70 Cadillacs.

It starts off with the following:

1967-70 Cadillac: Riding the Crest of success.

The lead in:
Cadillac rode out the latter years of the sixties with a strikingly fresh and clean design, a powerful new engine (the 472 V8) and a raft of added comfort and safety features.

It then reads:

The Cadillacs of 1967 through 1970 were some of the most luxurious, most powerful, and best equipped cars ever manufactured.

That's still true even when compared to modern cars.

Look what was available as either standard or optional in 1967-70 Cadillacs:

Automatic Climate Control Heating and Air conditioning. Introduced in1964, you just set a temperature and the car delivers the right amount of air at the right temperature and in the right locations to keep the car at your desired set temperature. It also always diverted a small amount of air to the windshield at all times to prevent fogging and would not "freeze" you in cold weather because it has a built in delay in cold weather until the coolant temp reached 100F. Even today, air conditioning is an option and many do not offer automatic temp control.

Tilt and Telescoping steering wheel. many modern so called  "tilts" are no more than a small shift.

Power windows, power vent windows (4 in the Fleetwood 60s), door locks antenna, trunk release, trunk pull-down. The windows have a lock-out switch and a bypass switch for use with the car shut off (there is no need to have the car on to raise the windows).

Interior courtesy lights up to 8 depending on the model, plus a trunk light, glove box light, map light, rear seat reading lamps (on Fleetwoods).

Cruise Control
Twilight Sentinel automatic headlights with a variable shutoff delay
Guidematic auto high-lo beam dimmer
Automatic Level Control
Auto parking brake pull-off, the brake releases as soon as the car is put in any gear with the engine running.
Rear window De-fogger
Cornering lights
Dual zone air conditioning (Fleetwood 75s only)
Three speed wipers with a 4 jet washer
8 way power seat (dual split power in 1970 Fleetwoods)
Heated front seats
Front and rear center armrests
Deep cut pile carpeting
3 or 4 ash trays with lighters in each one
Power sunroof (or a power top on the convertible)
Electric clock (too bad mine keep going belly up)
Locking glove box
Dual outside rear view mirrors (1968 -70)
Visor vanity mirror
Fully carpeted / finished trunk
Insulated hood lining
Variable ratio power steering
Disc front brakes (1968 and later) with a dual cylinder power boosted master cylinder
Radios with a signal seeking tuner
Rear seat fold down footrests (Fleetwood Brougham only)

More paint, trim color, and fabric combinations than any 3 or 4 modern cars put together.

Very few EPA regs (none in 1967 and only a couple silly underhood contraptions in the next 3 years).

Little, if no outside plastic trim.

Oh yeah, and plenty of room for 6 adults.

Sure you can get a new car with a 15 speaker surround system, navigation system integrated bluetooth, heads up display, adaptive cruise control, etc. My STS has that and more, but it's cramped with 5 and really won't fit 5 adults, and it doesn't have some features that GM removed over the years like cornering lights, parking brake pull-off, and trunk pull-down.

And it doesn't have the grace and elegance of the 67-70 model years.

Sure they require you to pay attention to them to keep them running right, but it's not hard, and the reward you get while driving one is substantial.

The power of the 1968-70 Cadillac is unbelievable.

I have an original April 1968 volume of Consumer Reports where they tested and reviewed the 1968 sedan deVille. The wrote that the Cadillac was "the fastest accelerating car they had ever tested" and that "only the Toronado and Corvette specialty cars had better acceleration".

They probably didn't test any hopped up GTOs Camaros or Mopars,  but in reality only a very small percentage of the so-called muscle cars were sold with the really powerful engine options. Cadillacs actually had more power than many muscle cars sold back then, and certainly had more torque than all of them.

That said, I do like the 1993-1996 Fleetwoods. These were the last of the full size RWDs and the level of interior comfort and quietness is unsurpassed.  Interestingly, these two 4 yer periods share the same trait of having a new much more powerful engine in the 2nd through 4th year of the period.  In the 60s it was the V8 472 introduced in 1968 and the 1990s featured the LT1 V8 in the 1994-96s making the latter three years more desirable in both groups.

The ride these cars give is special, the looks, striking and they have an air of sophistication, grace and elegance that no modern car can ever hope to capture.

That's why I like them and enjoy owning and driving them.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

I wish you could be a little more positive on the virtues of the 1967 through 1970 Cadillacs - just kidding obviously.  Could not agree with what you wrote more.  In many ways my 970 Cadillacs are superior to modern cars.  I bought gas for $1.47 per gallon the other day, filling up my tank for $19.13 in the Crown Vic PI.  Now that prices are that low, gas mileage is not much of a factor.  I would certainly rather drive one of my 1970 Cadillacs than a daily driver modern car.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Just try and find gas under $1.80 (87 Octane) in your area now.  Gasoline prices have never been a real concern of REAL Cadillac aficionados. It is sort of like chiseling on the price of hay to feed a Thoroughbred race horse.  If you don't feel the cost of the ride is worth it, get off the ride.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 15, 2016, 11:52:20 PM
Sure you can get a new car with a 15 speaker surround system, navigation system integrated bluetooth, heads up display, adaptive cruise control, etc. My STS has that and more, but it's cramped with 5 and really won't fit 5 adults, and it doesn't have some features that GM removed over the years like cornering lights, parking brake pull-off, and trunk pull-down.
The 2009 STS was the midsize Cadillac.   The DTS was the fullsize that year and offered more interior passenger volume than the DeVille/Fleetwood from 30+ years earlier despite being over a foot shorter in exterior length.

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 15, 2016, 11:52:20 PM
The power of the 1968-70 Cadillac is unbelievable.

I have an original April 1968 volume of Consumer Reports where they tested and reviewed the 1968 sedan deVille. The wrote that the Cadillac was "the fastest accelerating car they had ever tested" and that "only the Toronado and Corvette specialty cars had better acceleration".

They probably didn't test any hopped up GTOs Camaros or Mopars,  but in reality only a very small percentage of the so-called muscle cars were sold with the really powerful engine options. Cadillacs actually had more power than many muscle cars sold back then, and certainly had more torque than all of them.
No doubt good for the time but still only average or even slow by modern (especially sports/performance car) standards.

As I posted earlier, there has always been a preference by some for classics or items from the past over new/contemporary no matter what the decade.  It's why hobbies dealing with classic and antique items have long existed and will long continue to exist.  People back in the 1960s and 1970s preferred classics of that time over the new/modern cars just as decades from now there will be people preferring the classic 2010s over modern cars of that future era.

Of course, much of the preferences are subjective and/or assessed through rose-colored glasses.  It's about personally feelings and not necessarily a matter of being "right" or "wrong."

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

I bought this gas just last week at exit 150 on rt 81 in Virginia.  Seemed unusual at the time.

Was just saying often the objection to large cars is gas mileage and now it should not be.  The price of gas to me has never mattered because it is a small part of the ownership cost operating nice cars.  In fact one of the good things back a decade ago when it was $4/gallon was less traffic, which is a problem in DC suburbs.  Never have I not driven my car due to the cost of gas.

I agree with you.  The cost of the ride is worth it with these Cadillacs we all enjoy so much.

64\/54Cadillacking

Just got 2 new WW tires for my 64, now it's in the shop getting an alignment. The love and attention I give to my cars is more than I give to my family sometimes!!  ;D

I honestly wouldn't know what else to do with my free time if it wasn't for my cars, and now that gas is reasonable priced, I tend to drive my Cad more often. But even so, I've spoiled myself too much driving the 64 recently with the lower gas prices, so I'm going to cut back a little and start taking it to local car shows and functions that are coming up this spring and summer.

I also get tired of people constantly asking me if I will sell the car, or that they're interested in "buying it" right then and there. I enjoy the courteous exchanges with strangers, but it does start to get annoying.

Do you guys drive your oldie Cads all the time, or only on weekends, or special occasions?
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

LenInLA

I've been driving my 1976 Eldorado 2-3 times a week on errands and family visits. My insurance policy limits me to 2000 miles a year - which is pretty much sufficient. I anticipate hitting 1500 miles.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

My "cure" for people that have watched too many "car" shows when they ask "would you consider selling it?" is
to say yes, and suggest the price that i would actually sell the car at.  Usually stops right there.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Weather is nice now and sure enjoying driving the 1970 Cadillacs.  When people ask to buy my Cadillac, it is taken as a compliment, and I just say no and that is the end of that.  Further, I tell them that the least expensive one is the nicest they can afford and not to buy one site unseen.  Anyone who wants to buy your car is complimenting your good judgment and taste - take it as a positive about you.  This is another thing I love about my Cadillac - every one wants it.  No one ever asked to buy one of my daily drivers except my 1995 RWD Fleetwood back in the late 1990's after they stopped making them.

Rich S

I've had people follow me places to ask whether I would sell my old Cadillac! I've also been asked while at red lights, too! Although I have typically said, "Not for sale!" I guess I should be quick to ask, "How much?" Maybe someone will offer an exorbitant amount?

This discussion reminds me, that in the late '90's, I was dining at a city club and one of the other members I did not know, but recognized from her "older" Cadillac was dining there. I had observed her '71 Fleetwood Brougham (triple Sable Black with Opera Lamps and Lamp Monitors and in perfect condition) for many years and on many occasions--the woman was in her eighties--and I asked my friend the hostess, "Who is the lady dining over there [describing her]?" I was told her name, and an hour or so later, the hostess returned to me and said, "I told 'Mrs. T' that she had a young gentleman admirer over here who had asked her name, since he says he really likes your car! 'Mrs. T' said to tell you, 'You'll have to get in line! Every time I buy gas, someone wants to buy my car!'" I thought she was sharp to give me that answer. As I left, we spoke, and she said the car was stored in the winters when she headed to Florida, and it had never been used in bad weather. Around a year or two later, I read an obituary for her that said she had moved to the mid-west to an Assisted Living facility to be near her relatives (she had no children) as her health had declined. I hope one of them got the car and preserved it, as I no longer saw it anywhere. It was a true "survivor" Black Beauty.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

russ austin

I love my Cad because I made great memories in my 63 at the age of 17.  I dont own the same exact car, but I do own the same exact year and model.
R.Austin

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 16, 2016, 11:32:31 AM
The 2009 STS was the midsize Cadillac.   The DTS was the fullsize that year and offered more interior passenger volume than the DeVille/Fleetwood from 30+ years earlier despite being over a foot shorter in exterior length.

No doubt good for the time but still only average or even slow by modern (especially sports/performance car) standards.

As I posted earlier, there has always been a preference by some for classics or items from the past over new/contemporary no matter what the decade.  It's why hobbies dealing with classic and antique items have long existed and will long continue to exist.  People back in the 1960s and 1970s preferred classics of that time over the new/modern cars just as decades from now there will be people preferring the classic 2010s over modern cars of that future era.

Of course, much of the preferences are subjective and/or assessed through rose-colored glasses.  It's about personally feelings and not necessarily a matter of being "right" or "wrong."

But the DTS of 2006-12 had a sideways mounted FWD engine that was throttled back to 275HP while my STS is a proper RWD car with nearly 50HP more and more than 50 ft-lbs more torque.  With the factory Y rated tires and no computer limited governor, it literally flies.

The DTS may have more back seat legroom than a 1968 DVC (the DVC has a slightly forward rear seat compared to coupes or sedans), but there is NO WAY that it has more front seat legroom. I've been in them. and it DOESN'T have more rear seat leg room than the Fleetwoods from 1965-1976 either.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bill Caddyshack

EVERYTHING! Of course!

We love a great deal about our Caddy. Love the lines. It is a classic work of art! Since we can only know the last owner, but wondering about previous owners. Their life styles. Did someone wash it in their driveway and make the neighbors jealous? Since it was a high end car, 1960 Eldorado, did it live at a mansion?

Sitting behind the steering wheel, looking through a 56 year old view, where did it go? Who drove it?

As to us, it is always a great treat to drive it. Super comfortable, yet very powerful, when the three two barrel carburetors kick in with a roar!

People always smiling. Pictures. Videos (even on the expressway). Thumbs up, everywhere. Always surprised that people say that their parents had one, but they usually can't remember if it was a Cadillac or something else, maybe a different car, maybe it was a station wagon ... But they loved their memories about bygone areas.

Every time we are parked, people come over and ask to buy it or they ask how long I had it? Or how long I had it? Did I restore it?

Seems so banal to reply I bought it in June 2015, so I tell them, with a wink, that when my parents married they got it as a wedding present from my paternal grandfather. That I was actually conceived in the back seat! Look at all the room! I went with them everywhere when they drove and that they gave it to me on my sixteenth birthday when I got my driver's license. I would NEVER sell it!

And that is the truth. Not For Sale. 8)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 25, 2016, 12:07:26 AM
The DTS may have more back seat legroom than a 1968 DVC (the DVC has a slightly forward rear seat compared to coupes or sedans), but there is NO WAY that it has more front seat legroom.

I was speaking overall passenger volume and more specifically 2009 (i.e. 2006-11) vs. 1979 (i.e. 1977-79) as just one example BUT since you brought up front legroom for 1968 models.......

Front legroom for 1968 models
Sedan DeVille = 41.2”
Coupe DeVille = 41.2”
DeVille Convertible = 40.9”
Fleetwood Brougham/Sixty Special = 42.1”
Fleetwood Seventy-Five = 40.9”
Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine = 40.3”

Front legroom for 2006-2011 DTS = 42.5”

Scot Minesinger

It really is horrifically unfair to the DTS to be compared to 1968 Cadillac.  The 1968 Cadillac is far superior from a dimensional perspective, and of course many others.  Obviously the rear leg room is compromised when a DTS makes 42.5" of legroom in front (just a longer power seat track).  If the DTS was rear drive, there probably would be one in my garage right now.  I think given the choice most people reading this forum would rather own a 1968 Cadillac in top condition over a DTS in great condition.

Back on topic, one of the reasons we all enjoy our Cadillacs is they offer so many advantages that new cars lack.  The older Cadillacs that offer fewer advantages over newer cars are not very collectible.  As an example a 4.1 powered Cadillac is generally less collectable than a 331/365/390/429/472/500/425 powered Cadillac because the 331/365/390/429/472/500/425 Cadillacs are large, amazing looking, comfortable, great drivers, and powerful.  The cool factor for any 1960's or older Cadillac trumps newer cars. 

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 25, 2016, 12:12:25 PM
I think given the choice most people reading this forum would rather own a 1968 Cadillac in top condition over a DTS in great condition.
Given that this is a classic Cadillac/LaSalle focused forum, that may be true at least as far as preferring a classic (not necessarily a '68) over newer.   In the general population, the opposite would be much more the case.   Not that any of this really matters.   

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 25, 2016, 12:12:25 PM
Back on topic, one of the reasons we all enjoy our Cadillacs is they offer so many advantages that new cars lack.  The older Cadillacs that offer fewer advantages over newer cars are not very collectible.  As an example a 4.1 powered Cadillac is generally less collectable than a 331/365/390/429/472/500/425 powered Cadillac because the 331/365/390/429/472/500/425 Cadillacs are large, amazing looking, comfortable, great drivers, and powerful.  The cool factor for any 1960's or older Cadillac trumps newer cars.
Preferring new vs. old or old vs. new is largely a subjective thing and not necessarily a matter of being right or wrong.  It's too bad more can't simply appreciate classics (of all ages!) for what they are and new(er) cars for what they are instead of trying so much to critically compare the two.  When it comes to subjective things (which can be a big part of the appreciation/enjoyment of cars), it's really unfair to say any year/decade/era of Cadillac or cars in general is best, superior or trumps another.  Everyone has their own opinions and preferences.

cadillacmike68

Someone was drunk with the power seat switch when they took those measurements. The front seat in EVERY RWD 1968 Cadillac has the same dimensions except the Fleetwood 75 which were a bit taller and had a little more headroom. I've owned and driven 1968, 69 and 70m Cadillacs and aside from options and seat material (and seat backs) they are virtually the same up front. This includes Fleetwood 75 cars.

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 25, 2016, 09:07:58 AM
I was speaking overall passenger volume and more specifically 2009 (i.e. 2006-11) vs. 1979 (i.e. 1977-79) as just one example BUT since you brought up front legroom for 1968 models.......

Front legroom for 1968 models
Sedan DeVille = 41.2”
Coupe DeVille = 41.2”
DeVille Convertible = 40.9”
Fleetwood Brougham/Sixty Special = 42.1”
Fleetwood Seventy-Five = 40.9”
Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine = 40.3”

Front legroom for 2006-2011 DTS = 42.5”
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

64\/54Cadillacking

I honestly find it hard to believe certain specs that automakers claim sometimes when it comes to interior dimensions.

For instance my 94 Fleetwood Bro legroom specs seem untrue. The specs are

Front legroom 42.5 inches
Rear legroom  43.9 inches

Now there is no way that the rear seat legroom is anywhere near close to being 44 inches, because just sitting back there, the legroom seems tight especially with the seat all the way back, or even half way back. The dimensions can't be accurate.

But in my 64, the rear seat legroom seems much greater even though the specs are a good 2-3 inches less than the 94 Fleet.

And in my 78 Lincoln Continental, the specs are like 42 inches of rear seat legroom, but that car triumphs both my 94 and my 64 Cadillacs in rear seat leg and knee room, it's like sitting in a mini limo in that car plus the shoulder room seems and feels much greater than in my Cadillacs.

I guess the absolute best part of owning my 64 is it's quality of materials, fit and finish, and chrome trim everywhere. I am really big on quality and how a car is built, because if you'r buying a luxury car, you want to make sure that the company didn't cheapen out on anything, and I believe Cadillacs up to 65 were the pinnacle and the last of what Cadillac truly strived for when it built it's cars before the bean counters and cost cutting measures took effect the years that came after.  Not to take away the greatness of the later Cadillacs, because they are all great cars in their own right, and looked very sharp as well

But I can't stand cheap plastic in cars, but I understand the use of it. We can't escape it either especially in modern cars, including most of today's luxury cars, so this another reason why I so love my 64 to death, it's oozes class, and a sense of a well built machine, nothing cheap inside that I can find. Everytime the car is parked somewhere and I see someone checking it out, everyone that sees it usually makes the same exact comments to me.

"Wow look at all that beautiful chrome and tail fins, Man.....now THAT'S a REAL Cadillac!"  8) :D

I guarantee you, nobody is going to walk up to the owner of a DTS or an STS, or a CTS and say the same thing.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞