News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 and other years - keep the vinyl top or remoave and paint

Started by Scot Minesinger, April 09, 2017, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

This topic is not confined to the year 1970, and would say it applies to the years 1963 thru 1979 at least.  1970 SDV hardtop, Patina Silver with dark blue perfect original vinyl top, 37k miles - driving about 1 to 2k miles per year.  Car has mostly original paint, but at some point it I may paint it.  The paint is OK for 47 years old, a great 10 footer.

Vinyl tops are a moisture entrapment issue that can rust out your car roof even if the car is well cared for.  Sometimes the 1960's and 1970's Cadillacs look better without a vinyl top.  Obviously a preservationist would retain the vinyl top.  If you want to drive and enjoy the car while having it look great and be more durable here are my choices:

1.  Leave the top alone, touch up paint the steel fake vinyl boarder and repaint rest of car.
2.  Remove the vinyl top and fake steel vinyl trim around top (the halo boarder where a thin strip of silver paint is between side windows and windshield), fill the holes and paint the entire car all one color.
3.  Remove the vinyl top, have the steel fake vinyl boarder to remain and pain the section that was vinyl and fake vinyl steel trim a matt finish in same color as original vinyl top.  I saw this done on a 1970 Buick and it looked great.

Should emphasize that this car might get caught in the rain three times a year and the original vinyl top really is perfect and no signs of compromise where water could get in - had back window out and resealed.  Car is stored in a garage always that never gets below 55'F or above 85'F.

Ideas - comments?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty