News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado Vin Plate

Started by Seachange01, May 02, 2017, 07:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachange01

Hi guys,
I cant believe I am about to ask this, because I feel like it's something I should either have been born knowing or be able to fairly quickly figure out myself. (I have with every other vehicle I have owned!!).
Anyway, Can anyone advise me where I might find the VIN plate on my 74 Eldorado convertible? I seriously am ready to strip the engine bay to empty because this is driving me nuts!!!
I know there is a vin on the dash behind the windshield on the drivers side (tick, found it). I also know there is MEANT to be a sticker on the drivers door at the side with the lock/striker plate etc. (cross, mine has been removed).
But the actual "screwed on" VIN plate...I cant for the life of me locate it anywhere!!! I've looked all over the fire wall in the engine bay, I found a plate that I saw and got all excited, but alas, it just has the details for the paint number etc.
I am just about ready to start screaming! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks guys,
Alan

The Tassie Devil(le)

The actual VIN number is the one at the base of the windscreen.

There is an Aluminium ID Plate screwed to the top of the firewall, on the right side.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

m-mman

All Correct. I will expand on the information. 

The metal tab visible through the windshield is the official Vehicle Identification Number. It is the plate/number that the authorities SHOULD use for identification. (title, registration and recovery if stolen) It is difficult to access under the dash AND it is held on with rivets. Not just any old rivet but "rosette" rivets that have little notches cut into the edge. These features make changing the plate/number difficult. (Never intended to be available publicly these rivets were only sold to auto manufactures, but now reproductions DO exist)

The plate on the firewall near the hood hinge was NEVER to be used to register or identify the car. It is intended only to identity the original paint/interior and options to aid repair during the life of the car. (r.g. Tell a body shop what color paint to order when making repairs)

This plate is held on by soft aluminum rivets or a interesting combination hex head/Philips head screw. (depending on the year) Meaning that this plate can be easily changed.
BUT it DOES NOT list the official Vehicle Identification Number. (VIN/Serial number) and should NOT be used to register a car.

However government workers who dont understand cars HAVE over the years used these numbers (body? even paint?) to list on the title that they issue. <WRONG!!>
Anytime you buy a car you should do your own verification and cross check the title paperwork against the official VIN on the car. 
If it does not match (transcription errors occur) then your title does not grant ownership to THAT particular car  and your need to get it corrected.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Seachange01

Hey guys,
Thanks to you BOTH for the information :)
I am in California, so our DMV require 2 VIN sightings on the vehicle to confirm it's viability for registration.
The one at the dashboard/windshield counts as 1, but it's finding another one where the girl doing the DMV vehicle inspection struggled/failed.
It's where I felt like an idiot cause I couldn't even help her find it either, I only found the plate mentioning paint color etc on the firewall.

So, as of now, my vehicle is scheduled to go to California Highway Patrol Inspectors later this month to be looked over for a 2nd "verification" point on the vehicle with a matching VIN to the one on the dash. I know there is the one on the back of the engine block engraved in somewhere, but I just cant believe I am missing the "vin plate" that should be somewhere under the hood.

If I DO find it, I can go back to the DMV with no wait in a line needed and go ahead and cancel the DMV inspection set for the end of this month.
Alan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The Kalifornia DMV is hard lining you!! Do you still have the VIN sticker on the door?? Get a supervisor involved. Where did the car come from?? You DON'T want to get the CHP involved!! As mman said... there is NO ,repeat, NO vin plate!! Been there done that many times. Bring them your shop manual where it discusses VIN info. I guess your door sticker is gone. Tell the DMV the door got changed due to an accident. Tell me you'll sign a Statement of Facts or whatever. Avoid the CHP!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

m-mman

NOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!! DONT GO TO THE CHP!!!!!!!  They might ASSIGN you a made up California DMV number!   :-[
This would alter your car F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Stay away.

You have an old car. Current DMV people do not know or understand old cars.
What you need is a California licensed "VEHICLE VERIFIER"   These are private people who will fill out and sign the form needed to get your California paperwork. 

ONE web site. There are old car friendly  verifiers. http://www.asapvehicleverifiers.com/VV2LocationsServed.html

What part of the state are you in? I can perhaps make some recommendations.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Seachange01

Hey guys,
again, thanks for the info :)
Yes, the door sticker HAS gone, because someone did some panel work there. The car HAS been hit in the side. I did see a 1976 Caddy eldorado convertible with a black screwed on VIN plate pictured on EBAY yesterday (green colored car), and it's what made me wonder if mine had one too.
I know there ARE vins on the sub frame down near the wheels in killer to get at locations, I just was hoping to see if I could find a simple plate, go back to DMV and say "here is your 2nd spot with the vin" to verify and then not need CHP.
I live in Ontario.
My car is new to me, and came from interstate (Minnesota).

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I kind of ran into that. My dash Vin is very hard to read . I used to do car financing so I know to look for the vin. I was able to verify it, but it was hard. I took it to get inspected and the yahoo there thought rhe vin plate was dirty and tried to clean it. Now it is almost impossible to read. I was going take it to the hwy patrol but was told the same thing-they may change the vin.
Fortunetly in MO, we can have the car registered as classic/antique. No inspection/vin check necessary.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Seachange01

Just an update,
CHP found the vin (Im guessing on the rear subframe area) and verified it as matching the one on the dash, so my Eldo is now registered in Cali. The Officer wouldn't tell me where he located it, and I get it for security, but still, frustrating not know exactly even though its MY car!!

Crow331

Quote from: Seachange01 on May 26, 2017, 03:06:54 PM
Just an update,
CHP found the vin (Im guessing on the rear subframe area) and verified it as matching the one on the dash, so my Eldo is now registered in Cali. The Officer wouldn't tell me where he located it, and I get it for security, but still, frustrating not know exactly even though its MY car!!

I have the same F-n problem. 1974 Eldorado in California. My door sticker is half torn only revealing part of the VIN. DMV said that they are no longer allowed to find the VIN in a 3rd location. It's either in the windshield or in the door. They are "required" to send it to the CHP if they can't verify in both places. They sent me to the CHP and the next appointment is April 19!  I notice they say everything on the car must also be legal and functioning (my car is not, completely!). I have a VIN VERIFIER coming out next week to avoid the CHP but she tells me she doesn't know where the VIN is on the car and is asking me to "help her find it" before our appointment next week. It DEFINITELY wasn't in the engine area?? At least I know where NOT to look!  Did they check everything on your car or just the VIN?  I was thinking this complete inspection might be referring to salvaged titles.

Can anyone help me locate it?  What area was he looking in when he located it?  What side was he on?  He was on the ground looking up into your car or what. I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy don't want to deal with the CHP either.

Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I guess you didn't carefully read this topic. It tells you EVERYTHING you need to know. Start at the top & read every response.  Lets cut the drama. LOL!!!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Crow331

You mean this??

"I know there ARE vins on the sub frame down near the wheels in killer to get at locations". But if he could actually FIND IT there why did he still end up going to the CHP? Probably because he never found it.

"Im guessing on the rear subframe area" but the CHP would not tell him where it was located.

So I don't think EVERYTHING I need to know is exactly spelled out Bob :P  I'll look around tomorrow but the first post makes it sound like he looked just about EVERYWHERE. I don't want to spend my entire Saturday looking for it, so if anyone has a more definitive location it would be much appreciated.

I found this on another forum for a 65 Coupe Deville:
"With the hood up, look down into the engine bay, on your left side, the right side from inside the car, by the bottom corner of the radiator. the number is stamped on to the top of the frame rail, you will have fun finding it, just rub the whole rail with sand paper, and it will appear."

....  maybe mine is in the same spot. Will look in the morning. Must. Avoid. CHP. At. All. Costs.  (done for drama's sake) :D

Crow331

Well I spent an hour looking and could not find the VIN. I'm tired of looking so now I'm off to the junkyard to look for a dash. Maybe somebody there knows.

Anyone have an Eldorado near a 74 that can point me in the direction of the VIN?  Thank you!

Crow331

Two of us looking for 2 hours and still can't find the VIN. Very frustrating. I found this blurb online specifically talking about a 74 Eldorado and still unable to locate it. Anyone with a nice clean engine on a '74 that can take a look around for me and spot their VIN and take a pic?  Thank you very much!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

As the picture reads, the engine number is stamped on the top of the block behind the rear of Left Cylinder Head.   You will need to have the surface completely clean to read it, as it is stamped into the rough casting, and not a milled surface.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Crow331

I just thought I would give you all an update on my VIN Verification. My car FINALLY was VIN verified this morning after 3 attempts by the CHP and 5 months of time. I think mostly it was verified because he got sick of looking for it!  LOL!  Luckily I got an officer who was a fan of the movie and spent quite a bit of time looking for it, otherwise I might have been assigned a new number. He spent 4.5 hours the first go round. About 10 minutes the second go round. Then this morning about 15 minutes. He finally decided that the partial number on the door (7 digits on the front end of the VIN) along with the numbers on the transmission. (last 6 of the VIN) matched to the 13 digits in the windshield so he gave me the verification and I get to keep my original number!  WHEW!  It helped that before his attempt this morning I had the engine and the undercarriage steam cleaned. He never was able to find it on the frame, though he suspects it's there "somewhere". He didn't try the frame again after I had it steam cleaned so maybe it would have easily revealed itself. Instead he went right back to the engine (which was changed out by the way). Anyways, what a huge hassle this was but a big sigh of relief from me. Now I'm off to the DMV tomorrow to hopefully finalize everything!

P.S. By the way, I took it to Martin Cadillac and they had no luck finding the VIN either, so I had no choice but to take it to the CHP!  Also of note, once the DMV refers you to the CHP there is NO WAY to go backwards and try and get a professional VIN Verifier. So anyone reading this in the future, if you can't find two VIN numbers, you must go to a professional VIN verifier BEFORE going to the DMV otherwise you are screwed. Once the DMV has referred you there, you can ONLY go to CHP . I found out the hard way!  Luckily, mine worked out in the end!