News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bounce! and temp subject..

Started by William65 CLC#30475, May 07, 2017, 05:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William65 CLC#30475

Hello members it's been a little time since i stopped by, now that winter has passed it's time to dedicate myself  to my Fleetwoods once again. I did end up checking the operating temp with a IR thermometer after letting the (93 Fleetwood) and it seemed to run around 197 to 212 degrees (temp reading was off the top coolant hose) this would fluctuate depending on engine RPM, i still have to change the sensor under the manifold. Is this temp acceptable for this 1st gen TBI 350??

2nd of all, i took the FW out for a ride (boy was i happy!!) and noticed a little bounce to my ride (in the rear of course) hmm.. my girlfriend thought was rather funny, but contrary to the fact i was not pleased with this. So the FW is on the lift once again and i did notice that it does have NEW coil springs, and i will be putting new air shocks in this month. The air pump seems to be doing its job, but i think the bleed valve is not letting out excess air out of the shocks as needed, could this be causing "the bounce" i am going to inspect the pump as well, and also the level switch i believe is doing its job ok so..(the compressor seems to cycle on and off as needed)

Any input would be great take care Chris..       
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
and many others in the past..
Chris..

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to use the IR thermometer is to check the temperature of the bottom hose.

As for the "Bounce", what sort of a bounce is it?   A long smooth rocking action, or a short, vibrating type?

The Shockers are there to control the "bouncing" that is built into any spring.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

If the bleed valve was not working the tail end would be too high, but that would not cause a bounce.  The shocks are worn out and not damping the motion of the rear suspension. 
The way to check that is to put your weight on the rear end then let it up.  The car should rise a little then fall down to the at rest position and stop.  If it keeps bouncing the shocks are bad. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

William65 CLC#30475

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 07, 2017, 07:40:02 PM
The best way to use the IR thermometer is to check the temperature of the bottom hose.

As for the "Bounce", what sort of a bounce is it?   A long smooth rocking action, or a short, vibrating type?

The Shockers are there to control the "bouncing" that is built into any spring.

Bruce. >:D
Thank you for that feedback i will check it from the bottom hose, as far as the shocks go ya it's kind of like when someone or a few people push on your car either front or back, and you get that rocking motion. If i said that right.. i do think the shocks are bad though
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
Chris..

William65 CLC#30475

Quote from: Glen on May 08, 2017, 01:49:23 AM
If the bleed valve was not working the tail end would be too high, but that would not cause a bounce.  The shocks are worn out and not damping the motion of the rear suspension. 
The way to check that is to put your weight on the rear end then let it up.  The car should rise a little then fall down to the at rest position and stop.  If it keeps bouncing the shocks are bad.
Thank you Glen yes i think your right the shocks due look as if they have seen better days, i was not sure if i should have put this post up here or not. But it's always good to get a 2nd opinion from our members you know, i will  let you know how it rides when i change them out!
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
Chris..