News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power antenna repair

Started by John Madan, June 18, 2017, 01:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Madan

GM service manual says if the nylon cable in the power antenna Used from at least 1980 until at least the mid nineties was broken , the entire tube and mast must be replaced. Expensive and hard to find . this is not true. A company called antennas are us sells the smallest part of the mast with a new nylon cord for less than $25. Once the antenna is off the car, it's a simple 15 MIN job. The tip of the old antenna is unscrewed and the small mast and broken cord is pulled out from the bottom. The new one is than inserted and a new tip is screwed on. Install the cable into the spool with the antenna fully extended. Reassemble the unit and  connect the power plug to the antenna so it will retract and then you can install the antenna on the car
2 almost perfect 1984 Seville s 1 is rare touring edition with every available option 1980 Classic Seville diesel that is being restored 1981 and 1982 Seville Roadster 1982 is beyond perfect 1985 base Seville 1978 Eldorado beyond perfect. I have done almost every procedure in the GM shop manual on the Seville if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me

Matti R

Hi
Jumping to old topic, but I was not able find any supplier for power antenna mast with nylon cord for Cadillac 66. Any ideas if those are available?
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Michael Petti

An old post on this site suggested that the heaviest lawn trimmer cord available would work to replace the nylon cord. I didn't try it as mine was alright.

Cadman-iac

It would be nice if you could simply use a piece of trimmer cord. The size of the early antenna cord is bigger than any trimmer cord that I've ever seen, except for the one used in my newest trimmer, but it uses a cord with notches or serrations on the edge, which won't work for an antenna.
There was a post not too long ago that Bruce had jokingly said to try that, but it's the only one I've seen this mentioned in before.
The later years of antenna they shrank the diameter of the cord,  so I guess it's possible that you could use trimmer cord for those, but I'm not sure how long it would hold up to the rolling and unrolling time after time.
  One day if I have an antenna with the smaller cord size that is broken, I'll try it out and see if it's possible trimmer cord can work.
The flat plastic antenna motor style has a metal hooked end on it and a thin metal core inside the plastic cord, so those would not work with the trimmer cord even if it was the same size.
But definitely an intriguing idea.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Old topic, but and interesting one!

Im gonna repair a power antenna from the late sixties. I think the cord is broken. The motor pushes the antenna up, but not down. My question. How do I remove the nylon cord from the antenna mast? And how do I get a new one in place?

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on November 06, 2023, 03:24:20 AMOld topic, but and interesting one!

Im gonna repair a power antenna from the late sixties. I think the cord is broken. The motor pushes the antenna up, but not down. My question. How do I remove the nylon cord from the antenna mast? And how do I get a new one in place?

The problem with trying to replace just the cord is that it's crimped into the smallest piece of mast, the top piece, and it's doubtful that you can open up that crimped portion and successfully re-crimp it so it holds up during use.
I haven't checked, but the later 60's antenna parts may still be available.
I've done my 56 antenna with a new old stock cord I bought from another member, and I believe it is now available or soon will be from another member who has undertaken reproduction of said part.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

cadillactim

The job sounds simple enough, but the antenna almost always needs more than just a new cord. Very often the clutch plate and housing need repair after 50+ years.

Using weed wacker cord can work, but it can be difficult to get it to stay attached to the top piece, not to mention that the correct cord diameter is not available in weed wacker cord. Nylon cord works better.

I've rebuilt hundreds of these antennas and unless you just like the challenge or can't afford to pay someone, it is easier in the long run to have it fixed by someone who is familiar with these antennas. Kind of like, "why pay someone $100 to fix it with the right parts when I can do it myself with make-shift parts taking three days for $200?"

And, no, I am not trying to generate business, just speaking from experience.

Tim
Tim Groves

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Cadman-iac on November 06, 2023, 08:26:32 PMThe problem with trying to replace just the cord is that it's crimped into the smallest piece of mast, the top piece, and it's doubtful that you can open up that crimped portion and successfully re-crimp it so it holds up during use.
I haven't checked, but the later 60's antenna parts may still be available.
I've done my 56 antenna with a new old stock cord I bought from another member, and I believe it is now available or soon will be from another member who has undertaken reproduction of said part.

Rick

Thanks, it sounds difficult. I have to remove the antenna and check.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: cadillactim on November 06, 2023, 11:05:40 PMThe job sounds simple enough, but the antenna almost always needs more than just a new cord. Very often the clutch plate and housing need repair after 50+ years.

Using weed wacker cord can work, but it can be difficult to get it to stay attached to the top piece, not to mention that the correct cord diameter is not available in weed wacker cord. Nylon cord works better.

I've rebuilt hundreds of these antennas and unless you just like the challenge or can't afford to pay someone, it is easier in the long run to have it fixed by someone who is familiar with these antennas. Kind of like, "why pay someone $100 to fix it with the right parts when I can do it myself with make-shift parts taking three days for $200?"

And, no, I am not trying to generate business, just speaking from experience.

Tim

Yes, I have to clean and relube the clutch and the small pulleys. I hope there is some trimmer cord that fit.

Its too expensive to sent the unit to USA from Sweden. A news mast is $189.00 on Ebay, not sure what CaddyDaddy sells them for. Shipping is  $40.00. Its better doing it yourself, That way I learn more about my car. I have rebuilt a power window motor and also got a Cadillac Climate Control and and Mopar Autotemp I working. Its a nice hobby.

cadillactim

So you like the challenge, and that is fine. And I understand the expense aspect as well. Just be prepared for a learning curve that may result in damaging a piece beyond repair.

When I first began rebuilding these antennas I had plenty of extra parts, which was good because ruining a piece is part of the learning process when you've never done something before.

It is very easy to damage the top piece beyond repair where the cord attaches, and when you recrimp it you only have one chance to do it right. And if you end up ruining that piece make sure you have a plan B.

Just speaking from experience.

Take your time, and hope you get it fixed.
Tim Groves