News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 DeVille door trim installation troubles

Started by conv69, March 04, 2018, 01:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conv69

I have a couple of the "nail heads" missing from the door skins that hold down the door trim. Has anyone ever replaced any of these? I was thinking of actually using nail heads drill a hole and welding from the inside but there is a brace in the way. I don't want to take the skin off if I can avoid it so looking for some ideas. thanks.

76eldo

Just use a rivet or stainless screw to hold on the plastic clip.  No need to do more than that.  The molding pops on over the plastic clips so make sure they are facing in the correct orientation.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

Body shops have a welder that installs those.  Actually I have one.  I bought it from Eastwood.  Its part of a kit to pull out dents. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

I second the screw method.

To properly weld on the factory replacements, the paint has to be removed, or the welding process simply won't happen.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

That would be an issue if the door was finished, but the OP was already thinking of welding a nail in place.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

Missed that.   But, the screw method is really the best for replacing the studs.   And cheaper if one doesn't have the correct tool.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

conv69

Thanks everyone !!
I had not even considered the screw idea :)
Yes, this set of doors is not even on the car, I'm just prepping them now for replacement later. So paint will be stripped and dings etc.. repaired.
I think my nail head would have been pretty close to factory but now thinking it is probably not worth the effort.