News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kanter consolidating!

Started by gary griffin, December 17, 2017, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

KANTER closing warehouses and consolidating and scrapping  a large part of their inventory.   They claim it will make them more efficient and be able to serve us better.

Not much use for tons of certain parts? My brother is restoring a 1940 Packard and could be affected for example/
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Gary,
  They're 20 minutes from my house. I've been going there for years. Fred has let me rummage through the warehouse looking for small items. They're great people. I wonder what happened?
                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bobby B

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 17, 2017, 11:07:35 PM
It appears that they sold one of the buildings.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/12/13/kanter-auto-products-on-the-move/

The Monroe St. Building is the office where Fred and Dan hang out along with the office workers. When you place an order, you pay for it there, then drive over a few miles to the warehouse, which is the building pictured in the article. There is a lot of junk in the office building annex that could probably be tossed....
                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

BJM

Yes, I wonder how long some of our industry stalwarts can hang on and I am sure the Kanters are up there in age. Also, on a similar note, a Buick friend who is restoring a 1940 Roadmaster convertible says that Egge is not going to make any more 320 straight 8 pistons due to lack of demand. 

Obviously, there are a few more manufacturers of pistons and old car parts out there but is that a snapshot of what is happening now in the hobby? Such low numbers restoring cars in garages that companies are scaling back?

64\/54Cadillacking

This is worrisome. The lack of demand is definitely the main issue here, nobody can stay in business if the demand isn’t there and unfortunately our hobby is slowly becoming extinct and more expensive to continue for everyone young n old.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

TJ Hopland

I'm not a business accountant but apparently at least on paper its pretty expensive to just have parts sitting on the shelf for years and years.  Writing them off is what usually happens.  Apparently if you don't 'get rid' of them and get an audit you have big problems.   Same thing if you sell parts you have written off.   That is why not many businesses keep stock that doesn't move.   Its not just a matter of shelf space which can also add up.  The paperwork is also complicated to sell something for less than you paid for it so even having a sale can be complicated when it comes to the accounting. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

I recently started reading "The Cadillac that followed me home" by club member Christopher Cummings, and his recollection of finding and restoring old cars and the junk in the yards that were crushed as nobody need those parts any longer is similar to my memory of that era.

When I moved to my current home 30 years ago there was a log cabin on the acreage next door. The old guy then living there told me of his desire to buy  a new Buick and they would only give him $200 trade in and he wanted to get $250 so he kept the car. I do not recall the model and it was a car I had never heard of.  Many years after that he got a letter asking if he would sell the car for parts and he agreed to sell it for $250. When the buyer arrived they cut away the bushes that covered the car but it was too rusted for the buyer so he left it there.  The Log cabin was replaced with a modern house a few years ago.  I was discussing this with the new owner and he says he can see an engine and wood spoke wheels through the bushes.  Hopefully we can clear the bushes next summer and try to find out what the car was.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Maynard Krebs

The big reason is probably... time.

There used to be an outfit, owned by a couple of brothers... around Northern New Jersey, that specialized in suspension and steering parts for old.. and really old .. cars.    I think that they moved to Arizona, later.   Even later, they seemed to have disappeared.   I can't recall their last name.   Anyway, I have to wonder about their huge inventory of valuable parts.....

Bobby B

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on December 31, 2017, 09:36:42 PM
The big reason is probably... time.

There used to be an outfit, owned by a couple of brothers... around Northern New Jersey, that specialized in suspension and steering parts for old.. and really old .. cars.    I think that they moved to Arizona, later.   Even later, they seemed to have disappeared.   I can't recall their last name.   Anyway, I have to wonder about their huge inventory of valuable parts.....

Are you referring to Fred and Dan Kanter? If so, that's what this whole article is about. I've been in NJ my whole life, and I can't think of who you're referring to.
               Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

David Greenburg

A number of years ago, like 1990 or so, there was Edwards Brothers in Fountain Hills, AZ that specialized in brake and front end parts.  I bought stuff from them when I was a punk doing my ‘59.   Not sure whether they were originally from somewhere else.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

fishnjim

Normal evolution.   Markets shift - re:who moved the cheese? 
The next gen has little or no recollection of the pre and post war cars, except what they see in pictures/TV and museums.   When they get to collect, they'll want what they had or wanted in their youth -> perhaps a rice rocket not necessarily grampa's Caddy?  So pass it down, give a kid(s) a ride(s) in yours.   And let them help you work on it.
I think the Cadillac brand has better collector staying power because of it's worldwide recognition/classic styling.   

Lexi

fishnjim

Don't want to give the wrong impression, but Fred said on another forum his business is actually up substantially.

Maynard Krebs

To Bobby B. and David G.:  David remembered the name:  Edwards Brothers, Fountain Hills, Arizona.   I guess that I'm showing my age because I believe that they were originally from New Jersey... oh, 25 or 30 years ago.

The reason why I made it a point then to try to remember them... is that there are some parts for which there is no substitute, such as front-end/steering parts, and headlight & ignition switches. 

e.mason

Is this a precursor to the beginning of the end of the "old car hobby" as we once knew it?
Eric Mason

David Greenburg

Gerald- I hate to make you feel even older, but 25-30 years ago is when I was dealing w/ Edwards Bros, and they were already in Fountain Hills ( I was a youngster in my late 20’s at the time). So NJ must have been 30+ years ago!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special