News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel tank straps - 1970 Deville convertible

Started by grantatx, December 23, 2017, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I might source new fuel tank straps for my '70 Deville ragtop? I was able to source a new tank and sender from Tom's Classics on Ebay but I can't find anyone that lists the straps. They're quite rusty on my car and I'd like to replace them when I fit the new tank.

Thanks in advance!

Grant

chrisntam

I can't help with new ones, assuming you've checked the usual suspects - OPGI, USA Supply as well as the companies that sell tanks- they may know.

If no new ones, contact salvage yards that have these old cars.

Here's a link I've had forever, don't know anything good or bad about them, and not sure if they can help or not.

http://www.cadillacville.com/default2/webstuff/model70/70Cadillac.htm
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

^^ I think that's D Baer's Cadillac Ville. H he might be retired or at least semi retired. You could also try Ted Holcombe. You'll have to look him up.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

grantatx

Thanks guys, will try both your suggestions. Failing that I think I'll look at the specs for a '68 which are readily available - provided they're at least as long as those for a '69-70 I should be able to modify them to fit.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

You're in luck!!  They fit 67 to 70 all except Eldo. Whatever you do... don't buy salt belt parts to replace salt belt parts. No matter how cheap.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

grantatx

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on December 24, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
You're in luck!!  They fit 67 to 70 all except Eldo. Whatever you do... don't buy salt belt parts to replace salt belt parts. No matter how cheap.
Bob

Hi Bob, that's great info, thanks for the reply! I'll get some ordered today.

Best regards,

Grant

grantatx

A quick update - I have managed to find a company that can supply new (made to order) fuel tank straps for my car - they're at Kanter.com on the web. There's apparently a three week lead time while they're made, so I'll report back once I've received and installed them. Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my original post.

Best regards,

Grant

chrisntam

Good to hear.  How much?  Just curious.  I'll guess $89 for the pair.

Thanks for circling around and completing the thread!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

grantatx

Quote from: chrisntam on December 26, 2017, 09:54:16 PM
Good to hear.  How much?  Just curious.  I'll guess $89 for the pair.

Thanks for circling around and completing the thread!

chris.

Hi Chris, they were $50 even for the pair. I'll circle back again once I fit them to confirm the results.

Cheers,

Grant

grantatx

OK, so Kanter did not come through with the tank straps - I called them to check the ship date and they told me the straps weren't available after all.

So I purchased a set of '68 tank straps from Auto City Classic, who also sold me the new fuel tank for my car. Which is a perfect replacement fit by the way, I highly recommend them. The '68 strips will fit a '70 after "humoring" them a bit (in the words of my friend who helped with the tank install). All in all it was a seven hour job, but about four of those were spent POR15 coating the underside of the trunk and top of the new tank. Some pics of the job follow.

Incidentally, in the absence of the original J-bolts that hold the tank straps at the rear, I used laundry line bolts from Home Depot, 5/8 bolt 7 inches long. They do the job perfectly. 70 cents each.

cadillacmike68

Now you need to pull that rear axle, clean it and paint it.  ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

grantatx

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 04, 2018, 10:38:16 PM
Now you need to pull that rear axle, clean it and paint it.  ;)

I'll add that to the (long) list  ;)

chrisntam

That tank looks good installed.

Couple of questions:

1) did the replacement tank have any baffles in it?  What about the factory tank?
2) did you install a new sending unit or just re-use your old one?

If it's any consolation, my rear end looks the same as yours.  Mike's prolly doesn't 'cause he's busy drinkin' beer makin' his new look again! (see the car show thread)

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

grantatx

Quote from: chrisntam on February 05, 2018, 09:51:49 PM
That tank looks good installed.

Couple of questions:

1) did the replacement tank have any baffles in it?  What about the factory tank?
2) did you install a new sending unit or just re-use your old one?

If it's any consolation, my rear end looks the same as yours.  Mike's prolly doesn't 'cause he's busy drinkin' beer makin' his new look again! (see the car show thread)

;)

No baffles in either the original or the new tanks (at least that I could see from the sender hole). I installed a new sender, supplied by the same folks that supplied the tank. Interestingly they didn't supply the five screws that hold the sender unit in so I had to clean the old ones up, but no biggie.

The reason for changing out the tank was a stubborn fuel starvation issue. And happily I've noticed a big improvement in driveability, and no fuel starvation yet. The sock on the sender unit was brittle and cracked, and there was definitely some crud blown out of the lines when we sent 120 psi through them.

Looking at the rear end in the photos now, it definitely deserves some attention. But there are a few other priorities under the car I want to take care of first - it's originally from Ohio so needs some more POR15 attention in other areas of the floor pan and frame.

Chuck Swanson

FYI no need for POR in the future for the Auto City tanks.  Also, did you use some anti squeal pads or similar on top of tank?  At Home Depot next time you can get the stainless guy wire hook assembly.  Remove the J hook and toss the rest :)

I used another set of straps from a parts car that I had as the Auto City ones were too small for my '66 and they were very thin.   My rusted ones after blasting were so much thicker, I trusted them more.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: grantatx on February 05, 2018, 11:29:50 PM
Interestingly they didn't supply the five screws that hold the sender unit in so I had to clean the old ones up, but no biggie.

Surprised you got the old screws to work.  I believe the Auto City tanks are all fine screw threads, and OEM was coarse.  I proactively went to HW store and got all new screws before my tank arrived, and they were wrong thread ;)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on December 24, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
Whatever you do... don't buy salt belt parts to replace salt belt parts. No matter how cheap.
Bob

Typically I would agree. except for many tank straps.  The originals, if you can find of course,  are very thick metal and were mostly painted black from factory in many 60s cars, and they also have a "U" groove down the center to increase strength.  If you hold the flat repros in your hand and move up and down, the repro straps flop all over.   The OEMs are solid, no movement.  They should make the repros in thicker gauge and groove centers. Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chuck,
You misunderstood me. I didn't say replace salt belt parts with repro stuff. I said don't buy salt belt parts to replace salt belt parts. In this case solid original western gas tank straps.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 08, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
Chuck,
You misunderstood me. I didn't say replace salt belt parts with repro stuff. I said don't buy salt belt parts to replace salt belt parts. In this case solid original western gas tank straps.
Bob

Got it.. makes sense :)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Scot Minesinger

Just make your own.  Go to HD and buy the 1/8" x 1"(or whatever the width is) galvanized strap that is long enough.  Use the originals as a guide, bend, cut, drill, and paint - then install.  They will be way better quality for a cost of an hour of your time and $10. 

The 67/68 sure seem different than 69/70 straps to me, as I have replaced them both.  I ordered a set for a 67 and was disappointed by quality and decided to make my own, hence my suggestion.  The originals on the 69/70 seem much better (heavier steel).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty