News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel tank straps - 1970 Deville convertible

Started by grantatx, December 23, 2017, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on February 08, 2018, 08:57:38 PM
Surprised you got the old screws to work.  I believe the Auto City tanks are all fine screw threads, and OEM was coarse.  I proactively went to HW store and got all new screws before my tank arrived, and they were wrong thread ;)  Chuck

Yup, I was going to go to Home Depot and find some replacements but was under some time pressure to get the tank in before it got dark so just cleaned up the old ones. Luckily they fit. I was really surprised and a little disappointed that new screws didn't come with the sender unit.

grantatx

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on February 08, 2018, 08:49:05 PM
FYI no need for POR in the future for the Auto City tanks.  Also, did you use some anti squeal pads or similar on top of tank?  At Home Depot next time you can get the stainless guy wire hook assembly.  Remove the J hook and toss the rest :)

I used another set of straps from a parts car that I had as the Auto City ones were too small for my '66 and they were very thin.   My rusted ones after blasting were so much thicker, I trusted them more.  Chuck

I didn't use any anti-squeak pads on the top of the tank, but I did use them between the straps and bottom of the tank. The straps came with the anti-squeak rubber strips which impressed me. Earlier I purchased a set separately from OPGI as I wasn't expecting a strap kit to include them. So if I do encounter squeaks I can fit them on top too.

grantatx

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 09, 2018, 09:23:35 AM
Just make your own.  Go to HD and buy the 1/8" x 1"(or whatever the width is) galvanized strap that is long enough.  Use the originals as a guide, bend, cut, drill, and paint - then install.  They will be way better quality for a cost of an hour of your time and $10. 

The 67/68 sure seem different than 69/70 straps to me, as I have replaced them both.  I ordered a set for a 67 and was disappointed by quality and decided to make my own, hence my suggestion.  The originals on the 69/70 seem much better (heavier steel).

Hi Scot, yes, I did consider making some but when I found an aftermarket set for $35 I figured I'd give them a go. They're stainless steel and quite sturdy construction, probably not as sturdy as new OEM would be, but vastly better than the rusty mess the old ones on the car were.

You're correct, the '68 straps are different but not very. They're about an inch shorter on the long section that cradles the bottom of the tank so a little massaging is in order. Also, there are no holes drilled in the ends at the front of the tank, see picture. However the folded over section that hooks in to the body is considerably longer. I debated drilling holes and fitting bolts per '69-'70 but decided against as I can't image any circumstance where the hook would come loose when the tank is bolted tightly in place.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on February 05, 2018, 09:51:49 PM
That tank looks good installed.

Couple of questions:

1) did the replacement tank have any baffles in it?  What about the factory tank?
2) did you install a new sending unit or just re-use your old one?

If it's any consolation, my rear end looks the same as yours.  Mike's prolly doesn't 'cause he's busy drinkin' beer makin' his new look again! (see the car show thread)

I just finished a CL now, after two days of helping fence contractors replace a 260' fence around my tiny abode - with a bum leg, and a bum foot. I will be at a show somewhere next weekend though because I just got all the nicks and chips taken out of the paint. I do need to respray the valve covers though. That'll take a day.

;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

CL - Corona Light?

Nothing better than a cold brew after work is complete, time for a tasty beverage, a comfortable chair and some time to reflect on a good day's work.

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas