News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seat belts & equipment under dash / '70 Fleetwood

Started by J.C., December 27, 2017, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, Folks,

Three other questions about my '70 Fleetwood...

First, I noticed that the driver's-side seatbelt buckle pieces are much smaller than all the other ones in the car (see picture).  Was the driver's-side seatbelt something that someone took from another GM car and put in my car, or did Cadillac make the driver's-side seatbelt smaller for some reason?  It feels hard to believe that all the seatbelt buckles in the same car wouldn't all be the same size.

Second, looking under my dash, I see the fusebox and some other apparatus that looks like two cylinders protruding forward with wires sticking out from the forward most part of them.  Shouldn't there be a cover over this equipment, or is it meant to be exposed dow there the way it is?

And, third, what are those two cylinder-like things with the wires sticking out of them?

As always, all comments appreciated!

John

2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The bigger seatbelt buckle is for the shoulder belt. It is a horrible design and I would think it would break your ribs if they were actiually used an accident. The lapbelt is the smaller buckle. If you only see 1 buckle then check under the armrest because mine always end up there. I installed conventional belts in my 70.
The 2 cylinders are vacuum actuators for the climate control. They deflect the air to the correct vents. I don't think there is a cover-at least there isn't on mine. Good thing is that you don't really see them..... unless you stop short without wearing the fancy belts that is.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille