News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Problem with 1963 390 engine restoration

Started by dneu, January 11, 2018, 12:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dneu

I am restoring 1963 convertible. A complete engine overhaul. After I assembled the engine with almost all new parts I have encountered a strange problem - almost all valves are open. It looks like pushrods are about 0.15" longer. Hydraulic lifters are filled with oil and rock solid. I do not have any explanation for this mystery. Before I shorten pushrods - what I see as an only solution - have anybody experienced such problem? Any advice will be appreciated. Dusan

Dave Shepherd

Some info missing, lifters are original?, Camshaft also?  So how did the new pushrods  wind up .150 longer than original?

Jason Edge

Pushrods are the same for 1963 to 1966 Cadillac engines (parts group 0.426 part # 147 8094). I am going to guess you have the 1958 to 1962 style push rod that I believe would be a bit longer do to different size blocks. The 1963 390 was a completely redesigned engine from the 1962 390 with different size and shape, and need internals for the 1963 390 when rebuilding. I measured one of my 63 to 66 pushrods and they measure almost exactly 9 1/8" in length.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Dave Shepherd

Rock auto lists the 63 pushrod as 9.130, as you said , 9 1/8..

russ austin

Did you install the rocker arm mount blocks upside down? That will change the height of the rocker arm.
R.Austin

dneu

thank you. I have measured everything, but this did not cross my mind.  The head bolt could be inserted only from one side - and that was the problem. I had switched bolts and it solved the problem. How dumb I was.  Russ Austin - if we ever meet, I buy the best shot you will want.

35-709

Dusan --- be careful what you promise, Russ has VERY expensive taste!   ;D

Good call, Russ!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

russ austin

R.Austin