News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires 1978 Seville Elegante

Started by Caseylesher, January 21, 2018, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseylesher

Hey All! I just bought the most amazing showroom original 19,000 mile 1978 Seville Elegante. It is still wearing its original tires, the odd thing is three of the tires are a GR 78 15 and the right front left tire is a HR 78 15 I am told the GR's are a 215/75/15 and the HR is a 225..... and either fit. The 215's have a 1.3" white wall on the American Classic tires and the 225's have a 1.6" white wall.... I like the look of the larger tire and want to go that direction but just not sure if it will look to big and not classic original?! Any opinions??
And should I save these original 40 year old tires???

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I would recommend getting the proper size 215-75-15 which what the design called for.

225 is just "too much tire" for smaller Seville body, to my eyes and "overfill" in the wheel wells. Ride will be slightly stiffer as well and the Seville's suspension is taut enough as it is.

One man's opinion.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caseylesher

Thanks Eric,
You know if I have to ask..... it probably isn't right! I appreciate your feedback. Good thing I am asking before buying!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you have the space, save the tires as a curiosity But don't use them on the road. The tires on my '91 Seville are great looking Michelins, but the car has been driven so little that I don't trust them. I do plan to go to the city in the next couple of days to have the radio "reinstalled" but I also plan to use county roads instead of the super slab so I can drive slowly. (I can't get the new ones lying on the porch installed until Friday locally.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Rich S

Congratulations, Casey! I agree with Eric's advice (above) about the tires. Your car is a fantastic "find" and looks beautiful. Best of luck with your gorgeous classic Seville Elegante!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

D.Smith

Congrats!    Great colour combination!

James Landi

Please post more photos--- would enjoy viewing the interior.    Happy day,   James