News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Front shocks

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, January 23, 2018, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Hello all.
I found a couple of threads in my search but they are a few years old.
I am looking for front shocks for a 4 door 1955 62. I have found several rear shocks but only 1 hit for the fronts and they were disgustingly expensive. Parts book shows 54 and 55 are the same but no others??
Any suggestions? Do they cross reference to any other shock-a Chevy for example?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Jeff:

I remember the front ones are much harder to find
than the rears.  You're right, 54-55 only which is why
they are scarce. Caddy Daddy has them but at $165
per pair.  I was curious and did a quick search, they
were the not the only source that turned up.  NAPA
has them but they have KYB's for $198 a pair.

I assume you're looking for a decent shock -- not the
original spiral shocks.  I don't know if anybody is
reproducing those. I found an original NOS set for my
'55 but that was more than 15 years ago!  Don't
ask what they cost!

You may have to swallow hard and buy that set!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bob Kielar

Hi Jeff,
            I got mine for my 55 Fleetwood from Kanter they were around $200.00 for four. I do not know if they will just sell fronts maybe worth a call.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Jeff,

Hmm well the eCatalog for both Monroe and Gabriel list them, Monroe shows them as 31125 and Gabriel as 82034, which incidentally are the same ones for the ’56 rear.

Under the AC Delco it shows as 520292 as well.

Not sure if you have check them at RockAuto site but they show to be the same, but you may need to verify if they fit.  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, that is some of my problem. I saw a Monroe shock somewhere for the front. But when I went to look at it again I couldn't find it. So I sent an email to Monroe themselves and their tech responded they did not have one for the fronts. I did not have those part #'s tho and did not try Gabriel. Summit replied to me that they didn't have them either. I found a Gabriel part # and the Summit guy says Gabriel doesn't have a listing either.
Seems like there is a cross refrencing problem somewhere.
I will check Kanter but I prefer to buy locally (I am funny that way, brick and mortar stores are there for a reason) because if they are not correct I can return them easily.

For what it's worth I drove it to work today. 17 miles-longest run yet. It looks so peaceful in the parking lot, sitting there, dripping........
Mine is the blue car in the picture.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Dave Shepherd

If you have all the dimensions for the shocks, ie: mounting design, stud size, open and compressed length, you can usually match them up on Kyb's master fitment chart.

chrisntam

Is that a Hooter's in the background?

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Youbetcha. I gotta go in style!!
But that isn't where I work tho. Too many Saturday morning airport donuts.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373