News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Finally!!!

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, January 27, 2018, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Yesterday, I got the new tires mounted on the '91 Seville, so I can drive at highway speeds without worrying about the old tires blowing out. It's nice to have a "daily driver" that feels like a "real" Cadillac again. The 2016 ATS is nice, handles well, and all that, but it just doesn't have that special feeling you get when you're driving the very best. Even twenty six year old "best."

I also got the radio installed. I'd rather have had the original Bose, but that would have meant a search for the original speakers, new door panels, and all that. At least, now I can listen to CDs.

The shop only was able to do a partial alignment (toe in) yesterday and I have a slight shimmy that needs to be fixed. But other than that, I feel like I'm back in 1993 with a car that hasn't turned 20K yet.

I also have a set of door window gaskets. The ones on the car have shrunk enough that they are coming loose at the back corners. I'm going to try a vinyl softener that I found on eBay first and if that doesn't work, I'll have "scrap" that I can cut and insert to make it long enough to glue in. That gasket is a really complicated part. It's all one piece and not only does it slip into the slot of the casting it goes into, it has an edging to hold it in on the back. No wonder the one NOS one that I found on the Web was over two hundred dollars... (And why the car is so quiet in the cabin.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Barry
I can not believe that STEELE doesn't make the gaskets (rubber moulding) for your car even if it is modern. 

So, 1991 is the downsized era if I remember. It's interesting to see these collected or at least owned. I too appreciated the appearance of these cars new even though they were downsized.  I really preferred the Sevilles over the Eldorados.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I don't think that it would have much "need" and it is extremely complicated and way over sized. I have the RH front one  sitting here in my computer room and the bottom edge is about 40" long, has a triangle open space where the mirror goes, then slants up, then down for another three feet or so before going down for the "back" edge. All one piece. But thanks for the hopeful thoughts.

I've said this before...I was sitting next to Lynne Steele at the 1965 CLC banquet after the Carnival of Cars in Detroit and he told me he had twenty thousand dollars in the 1941 Series 62 stone guards before he saw a nickle back in return. This is why the Series 60S ones were all rubber instead of having the backing plate. (And why he let Metro make the 61/63/67 ones.) This was in 1960s dollars and is why some of the things we'd like them to make aren't.

Which makes the post on gas tanks so amazing that they made them for Cadillacs that there are not that many of compared to Fords and Chevrolet. I guess we should be thankful for what we have available in the repro market.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Speaking of the 1990 Eldorado, there is a nice red one on OfferUp on Long Island with low mileage. It's been on for a year, so care is indicated as this might be one of those lo-ball deals we see from time to time. But, if it's "real," it sounds like a bargain. It has Seville tufted leather seats (an option back then?) instead of the narrow horizontal pleats that Eldos usually had and makes me wish that I had them for my Seville. It's sitting at $1,999 at present.

Go to OfferUp and punch in 1990 Cadillac and NYC with maximum mileage and it should come up. No interest but I'd love to have a pair... You might be able to get Andy Zizolfo to take a look at it for you.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadman56

Yep, nothing like the older Cads.  Our 91 Brougham dElegance still floats like it should even though it shows 198K miles.  Good to see the older ones being used. 
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820