News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CLC Board Member Ballot Inquiry

Started by BJM, January 29, 2018, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I received my 1st ballot to elect officers to the CLC BOD.  I was frankly amazed at the number of candidates - 27 or so and by the idea that we are to pick 20.  20!  Plus you guys allow former BOD members to continue serving.

How does that work out?  I am also a member of the Buick Club of America and that count is 9, with 3 rotating off and 3 coming on each year. Even that seems like a lot.  We are able to read summaries of the minutes at the BCA and their meetings can take a while, especially with commentary and discussion.  I am not sure how often they meet but I believe once every 2 months plus the National. (Meetings are by phone conference).

So - do all 26 to 30 CLC Board members come onto a conference call once a month?  Or, do you guys take only the top vote getters out of the 20 and a small number of this large crowd are elected? 

Also, it is admirable that 27 + members are running for the BOD. In some years at the BCA, they only have enough members to replace exiting BOD members!  Or, you have 6-8 to choose 3.  Here at CLC, some 27 or more candidates are in the mix. Impressive.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bryan, I'll try to answer your questions. First, the twenty elected WILL serve. Plus, any Region not represented by those elected can appoint a person to represent the interests of that Region on the Board. Plus, all of the active Past Presidents serve on the Boards of both the CLC and the CLCMRC. They meet twice a year. Kind of unwieldy, but it's worked for sixty years now.

For sitting through all the business of the Club, they are treated to breakfast and lunch. Before Lars Kneller streamlined the process, Board Meetings sometimes lasted from eight in the morning until five in the afternoon. On the occasion of our voting to increase the years for cars to be eligible for recognition by the Club, we adjourned to a large tree near the entrance of Fairlane Manor in Dearborn because the building was needed for a wedding reception.

There have been no outbreaks of fisticuffs or name calling, but as I look back on my service, like Bette Davis once said, "Buckle your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride..." Sometimes things got a little rowdy. But basically, we all get along and have accomplished a great deal over the years. Thanks for taking the time to "ask."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Highwayman68

I am confused on the ballot provided in the online version of the Self-Starter, it has a water mark across it stating SAMPLE VOID. What are we to use to cast our votes?
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Art Director

Quote from: Highwayman68 on February 01, 2018, 05:23:22 PM
I am confused on the ballot provided in the online version of the Self-Starter, it has a water mark across it stating SAMPLE VOID. What are we to use to cast our votes?

To protect the integrity of the election, the online ballot is voided out. We take extra steps to make sure you, the online-only member, can vote. You should have received a paper ballot inside a large envelope in the snail mail by now. If you don't receive this in a reasonable amount of time, please contact the CLC Office.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Highwayman68

Ah OK that makes sense since we wouldn't be putting our CLC number on the ballot.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981