News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 sedan deville body mounts rusted out.

Started by Tshewchuk2, January 29, 2018, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tshewchuk2

Hey guys, so I'm working on my car and found the back body mounts on the body that attach to the frame are completely rusted out. My question is how is the best way to fix without completely removing the body and also does anyone make them or will i have to fab them up?

I'm new to the forum so if I did anything wrong please let me know. And thanks in advance TS
1967 sedan deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am afraid that depending on how bad the area is, and how much is missing, you will have to either do a lot of fabricating, or simply get the area cut out of a rust-free body, and transplant.

I had a similar problem on another GM brand I imported (a 1964 Chev), but I am pretty sure the fix would be pretty much the same, and I fabricated the mounts out of similar steel, and with a mix of Spot Welding, and oxy welding, I managed to fix it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Got to remember that this was back in 1990, and I didn't have access to a Mig Welder, but I did have a good Spot Welder.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tshewchuk2

Thanks Bruce that's what I figured would have to happen. The body mounts will have to be cut out I put my finger threw the one side. The top seems to be good from what I can see. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I can.

Todd
1967 sedan deville

fishnjim

One has to be careful here and make sure the dimensions are correct.   Body can sag so has to be returned to proper height.   The affects door and panel fit, bumper clearances, etc.   If you're not sure, I'd recommend to get some professional body work help.
Also, probably not the only place you have rot, so prepare accordingly.   It's likely that water collected in this "low" spot or was attacked from the outside/salt etc, so you need to assess where and how it happened and correct that as well.   

Chas

Todd.......I imagine your referring to the mounts directly behind the rear wheels? I had this same problem with one of the mounts on my 1970 Coupe. If you're unsure of your fabricating skills, start calling the boneyards out in Arizona and California that specialize in Cadillacs. Most of the sheet metal out there is pretty pristine, even underneath. Tell the yard you want them to cut the mount out and include about three inches of surrounding metal. I'm figuring they'll charge you anywhere between $75 to $125 per mount. Don't forget to replace the rubber biscuit also!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Tshewchuk2

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes i am talking about tight behind the rear wheels. There is obvious rust in other sections I'm currently working on the floor pans. Bottom of fenders need to be re done and some small spots on the rear quarter pannels. The car sat in a barn for 20 years.

I'm a welder/ fabricator by trade so making the parts won't be to difficult but I would like it if I could find the proper ones already made or factory. So I will defently look at calling some junkyards down south. I see that opgi had body mounts for the 66 deville im wondering if they would be close to the same dimensions?
1967 sedan deville

Chas

Cant help ya with whether the '66 mounts interchange with a '67. However, if you go aftermarket, be very very sure of what gauge metal they are made out of......ask me why I say that!.........LOL!!!!!!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Tshewchuk2

1967 sedan deville

Chas

Awhile back, I was replacing rusted sections of a Cameo pickup. Ordered all sheet metal (fender heels, cab corners, etc....) along with structural parts (body mounts, floor braces) from the same well known aftermarket company. All the parts were delivered........in 24 gauge metal!!.......a big steaming bowl of NOT GOOD.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car