News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Fleetwood Power steering pump issue.

Started by bazilman, January 30, 2018, 10:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazilman

So my 57 Fleetwood power steering pump worked absolutely fine. I took it off a few weeks ago to get it media blasted and re-painted. Reinstalled it today, connected pipes, filled up with fluid and bled the system and the pump now doesn't work. I need to get the car moving asap as its booked into interior shop on Saturday. I'm based in the UK so ordering O rings and gaskets are not really an option at this time. Has anyone had this issue before or am I missing something obvious ? Any help very much appreciated.
Craig Dunn

Dave Shepherd

Not possible to reverse hoses, I'm sure.?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

How are you defining "doesn't work?"
I assume you get no power assist of course but what else is or isn't happening?
I know you bled it but did you bleed per the book? Is the pump getting unusually hot? If you crack a line fitting will it shoot fluid across the room? Is there foam in the reservoir?
When they media blasted it they would have plugged the ports. Did a plug get left in (no insult intended but it happens). Any chance the media got in the lines? Did you leave the lines attached to the box in the car? If they are old and got flexed a lot they could be failing internally.
More than likely either air in the line or a blockage. Need more info to determine which one.
Please advise.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Did you try lifting the front wheels clear of the ground and then cycle the steering from left to right?  This takes the strain from the internals.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

I have to assume you mean it's not damaged or leaking and turning but not pumping.   Since it's a vane type pump, the vane(s) have stuck and that might be due to contamination from the blasting.   Blasting is not a good thing to do without making sure it's sealed well first.   The fluid attracts the blast dirt/media.  Only takes one grain to mess things up.   I'd flush/change fluid and rebleed first.   There's not much that can go wrong, no valves, etc.   Steering gear is another animal.   Possibly sent debris in there if it was pumping.   
You can take the pressure side and connect back to the reservoir with or without a filter in line, and check if it's pumping.   I'd turn it by hand, if possible
Disassembly is the next option.   I disassembled mine before I blasted and cleaned before it was reassembled.   

Dave Shepherd

Gotta be a better way to clean delicate mechanical components, as mentioned that stuff gets into everything, almost impossible to clean things up effectively.